Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way to Pay rent with a Credit Card

tag
vayub4
Regular Contributor

Best Way to Pay rent with a Credit Card

Hi Fico Fam,

I am trying to maximize cashback/points on all my cards. I am trying to begin this tradition of paying for everything possible with a credit card. If anyone knows a very relaible way of paying rent with credit card kindly suggest to me. I don't mind paying between $5 and $7 for the service as long as it would not seem like a cash advance kind of thing. 

All suggestions valued

Discover IT $25,500 Chase Freedom $14,500 CapOne QuickSilver $10,000 Walmart Mastercard $10,000 PayPal Xtras Mastercard $10,000 JCP $7,500 BOA Cash Rewards $6,900 OldNavy Visa $5,000 BarclayCard $3,700 Macys $3,500 HH Gregg $3,500 BestBuy $2,000 Last APP June/2016(useless rental apartment)Inquiries: Trans/7 Exp/16 Eqi/27
(1 Car Loan @2.74%)
Message 1 of 45
44 REPLIES 44
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

Re: Best Way to Pay rent with a Credit Card

There are a number of ways to do it, i'm currently using the AMEX Bluebird checking account and loading the funds using Vanilla reloads.  Basically, you purchase the Vanilla reloads at the stores using your CCs( so you can get rewards  and such) and use the Vanilla reloads to load the funds to Bluebird and pay rent w/ it. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 2 of 45
Stralem
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

There are a number of ways to do it, i'm currently using the AMEX Bluebird checking account and loading the funds using Vanilla reloads.  Basically, you purchase the Vanilla reloads at the stores using your CCs( so you can get rewards  and such) and use the Vanilla reloads to load the funds to Bluebird and pay rent w/ it. 

That seems like a lot of effort. Are the rewards really worth that much trouble?

I Have Way Too Many of These.

American Express - No CLI or Appreciation Gift in 7 Years

Citibank - Handing Out Credit Limits Like Candy

Chase - Surprisingly, Still Tolerating My Credit-Chasing Ways

Bank of America - My Newest Bae.

Everyone Else.
Message 3 of 45
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Well, this isn't what you asked, but I did come across something that interested me yesterday. It seems that with Bank of America Travel Rewards card (and some of their other cards) you need to redeem your rewards points for travel expenses. And one of the Travel expense categories is MCC 6513 Real Estate Agents and Mgrs - Rentals. Which is what my apartment rent is coded as...

I'd love to find the opposite, ie, a card that gives travel rewards for spending in category 6513. Or anything that gives more than 2%. Actually that is what I was searching for when I came across the BOA information.

I'm actually paying my rent this month with a 2% cash back on all categories card. unfortunately they charge me a $17 fee to pay via credit card. That brings my $710 rent up to $727, but i get back $14.52 in cash back Smiley Wink so I end up losing only a few dollars, but get to set a new high spend on my credit card. I'm hoping for CLI's in the future Smiley Wink

In your case, first see if they allow payments via credit card, and if so what the fee is. Or were you hoping for a credit card that would have a bill pay feature that mailed actual checks, or ?

Edit: or maybe I just need a more expensive apartment Smiley Wink At $850+$17  I would make a profit using a 2% card Smiley Wink

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 4 of 45
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Stralem wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

That seems like a lot of effort. Are the rewards really worth that much trouble?

Well, i thought so at first...but it's not that bad afterall.  If you're trying to maximize your reward system on your CCs to treat yourself w/ something nice later on, you'll def. put in that extra effort to do it.   At first I thought do i really want to take these extra steps just to pay rent? But hey I get happier and happier seeing my miles/ reward points stack up and feel accomplished in some way.  Plus, i'm showing signs of heavy usage on my CCs and PIF so it also looks good to the lenders IMO.  Bottom line is, if you can manage 10+ cards responsively, then you can definitely find room to put in the extra effort to do this as well. 

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 5 of 45
Justrebuilding
Regular Contributor

You can load 1k-1.5k a month on to a Serve card from your cc and then use the bill pay to pay rent. My cc does not charge CA fee but you may want to do a small test with yours to make sure it doesn't charge. My serve acct is free, depending on if you meet requirements it will be free or $1/mo. I love it, very easy.

Chase Sapphire Reserve 10k Cap 1 QS 15K, Cap 1 QS 5K, Cap 1 QS 4K, Cap 1 QS 4K, GE Care Cr 7K NFCU Cash Rewards 10K Walmart 1.3K NavCheck 5K Freedom 6K Freedom 2.5K Hyatt 4K Sallie Mae 5K Barclay Rewards 3K Macy's 1K
US Airways 1.5K, Discover 8K,
Message 6 of 45
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Well, i thought so at first...but it's not that bad afterall.  If you're trying to maximize your reward system on your CCs to treat yourself w/ something nice later on, you'll def. put in that extra effort to do it.   At first I thought do i really want to take these extra steps just to pay rent? But hey I get happier and happier seeing my miles/ reward points stack up and feel accomplished in some way.  Plus, i'm showing signs of heavy usage on my CCs and PIF so it also looks good to the lenders IMO.  Bottom line is, if you can manage 10+ cards responsively, then you can definitely find room to put in the extra effort to do this as well. 

Vanilla card is only $3.74 per $500 always? or is that just Walmart Price and with debt or that include with credit card?

CVS is it $3.74 per $500?

anywhere that take BCP?

or else looks like fidelity!

Message 7 of 45
Jlu
Established Contributor

The cheapest way I've found to turn credit into cash is as follows:

1. Go to squareup.com and get a free credit card reader that plugs into the mic jack on your phone.

2. Link your bank account to the Square account.

3. Charge your card rent + 2.75% (Square's flat rate merchant fee).

4. Collect 1 to 2% cash back from CC.

5. You now have rent money, no cash advance fees and no extra interest since CC thinks it's a point of sale purchase.

Not something you should get in the habit of doing but I'll admit to doing it once or twice when cash flow was especially tight.

AMEX BCP $35k | Citi Double Cash $30k | PenFed PlatRewards $25k | Barclaycard $40k | Chase Freedom $25k | BofA Cash Rewards $40K | US Bank Cash+ $4500 | Discover IT $25k | NASA Platinum-Advantage $40k | CapOne Quicksilver $15k | Amazon Card $10k | Ten years on myFICO from 510 to 780 scores
Message 8 of 45
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Vanilla card is only $3.74 per $500 always? or is that just Walmart Price and with debt or that include with credit card?  Yes & i don't know about Wal-Mart prices

CVS is it $3.74 per $500?  Yep, just about right.

anywhere that take BCP?  To purchase Vanilla reloads?  If so, yes you can use your BCP to purchase.

Message 9 of 45
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

@Stralem wrote:

@yudeology101 wrote:

Vanilla card is only $3.74 per $500 always? or is that just Walmart Price and with debt or that include with credit card?  Yes & i don't know about Wal-Mart prices

CVS is it $3.74 per $500?  Yep, just about right.

anywhere that take BCP?  To purchase Vanilla reloads?  If so, yes you can use your BCP to purchase.

jcpenney doesn't give any rewards when used at CVS right?

my Fidelity would be best payout if it's CVS, Walgreens, or Walmart to buy Vanilla Reloads right? I don't see any groceries that list vanilla as option to buy.

Message 10 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.