Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

tag
aplast
Regular Contributor

Re: Best airline cc - Houston to Nola flights

@nickn86 wrote:

@aplast wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer Smiley Happy )

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant Smiley Happy ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)

nothing wrong with a little confidence!. I hear ya about not wanting to over-do it on the chase cards. let me ask you though - if you plan on apping (and getting approved Smiley Happy ) for that CSP why would you go for an additional airline branded card? for the intro bonus points? right now CSP offers 40k while the united explorer is 30k. Im not knocking having multiple credit cards by the same company - just want to know what youre thinking! you always seem to have a clever game plan!

The current United offer is really 55k miles (50,000 within 1,000 spend in 3 months + 5k for adding authorized user) + $50 statement credit.  You can find it by searching for a flight on United.com and then clicking on an ad for an offer.  You need fresh United miles in your account, but you can add those very easily in various ways.  The easiest is by creating a bckstgr.com account and then linking a FB/Twitter/Four Square account to it.  Combining that signup bonus with the CSP nets you around 100,000 miles if you transfer the UR points.

ok so more like 50k. I dont really have anyone to add as an AU. haha. but thats a strong intro offer. I was unaware it was that solid.

Message 11 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@nickn86 wrote:

@aplast wrote:

@Duncanrr wrote:

Thanks for the info.  Interview will be sometime next month and then I'll have to decide if I want to take the job.  The ability to get back home (NOLA) will be a key factor in deciding if I take the job (Notice: confident/not arrogant that I'll be extended an offer Smiley Happy )

The main problem Im having is that many cards that are on my wish list are Chase cards.  I know they have internal limits and I'm concerned about getting cards that are situational.  Im going to get CSP in June (again, confident/not arrogant Smiley Happy ) and there are still many Chase cards that hold interest for me: United, Hyatt, Marriott, etc.  Ive got Amazon and Freedom already (but with very low limits)

nothing wrong with a little confidence!. I hear ya about not wanting to over-do it on the chase cards. let me ask you though - if you plan on apping (and getting approved Smiley Happy ) for that CSP why would you go for an additional airline branded card? for the intro bonus points? right now CSP offers 40k while the united explorer is 30k. Im not knocking having multiple credit cards by the same company - just want to know what youre thinking! you always seem to have a clever game plan!

The current United offer is really 55k miles (50,000 within 1,000 spend in 3 months + 5k for adding authorized user) + $50 statement credit.  You can find it by searching for a flight on United.com and then clicking on an ad for an offer.  You need fresh United miles in your account, but you can add those very easily in various ways.  The easiest is by creating a bckstgr.com account and then linking a FB/Twitter/Four Square account to it.  Combining that signup bonus with the CSP nets you around 100,000 miles if you transfer the UR points.

*ding ding ding* we have a winner.  I normally dont fly United (havent in years) and didnt even have a United Plus Mileage account.  I just setup one and did a couple things to get some miles on my account without having to book a flight.  Spent $50 on Gilt.com (got an assortment of cheeses - 1000 bonus miles plus spend), linked my BS hotmail account and facebook (not my real ones but my marketing bs accounts)  to Bckstgr.com (400 miles), signed up for Mypoints with same bs hotmail account (500 miles) and registered with United Miles dining program and will get the points for that after $40 dine (1000 miles). 

So with spending about $110 for some cheese and dining experience I got about 2,000 miles on United.  So my account will be setup if I select to go the 55k United.com offer.  So basically, its the points plus priority boarding.  To me, that alone is worth the annual fees on most airline cards if I travel more than 2 trips per year on that airline.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

That was fast.  200 of my bonus miles are already in the process of being added:

United Miles.jpg

Message 13 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

The 200 miles were credited to account this morning.  Now instead of the 30k offer it shows the 50k offer!  Not a bad trick    Smiley Happy

United miles.JPG

Message 14 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

I would use the contact us online feature with chase and request the better offer, I have heard Chase being very kind and usually matches if you see a better offer for bonuses

Message 15 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@john398 wrote:

I would use the contact us online feature with chase and request the better offer, I have heard Chase being very kind and usually matches if you see a better offer for bonuses

It took me about 10 hours from registration online to the start of receiving the miles.  Why would you leave an easy and cheap, basically free,  2000 miles on the table?  ($50 spend on Gilt.com and $40 spend at restaurant - basically the only money I really lost was the $15 on next day shipping with Gilt.com)

Message 16 of 19
john398
Senior Contributor

@Duncanrr wrote:

@john398 wrote:

It took me about 10 hours from registration online to the start of receiving the miles.  Why would you leave an easy and cheap, basically free,  2000 miles on the table?  ($50 spend on Gilt.com and $40 spend at restaurant - basically the only money I really lost was the $15 on next day shipping with Gilt.com)

I am just saying you should get the 50k miles instead of the 30k and if you don't contact them

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Will you be a frequent traveler? To get the lowest elite status on United you have to fly 25,000 miles in one year or 30 segments. 15 round trips from Houston to New Orleans a year would get you there.

Ideally you could use the United card, get the signup bonus, use it for a year for the benefits, then when you get elite status and the priority boarding and free bag that comes with it anyway you could cancel the United card and save the 95 dollar annual fee. Then use the CSP since you get 2 points on all travel and dining and can earn miles faster with the CSP than the United card.

Message 18 of 19
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Will you be a frequent traveler? To get the lowest elite status on United you have to fly 25,000 miles in one year or 30 segments. 15 round trips from Houston to New Orleans a year would get you there.

Ideally you could use the United card, get the signup bonus, use it for a year for the benefits, then when you get elite status and the priority boarding and free bag that comes with it anyway you could cancel the United card and save the 95 dollar annual fee. Then use the CSP since you get 2 points on all travel and dining and can earn miles faster with the CSP than the United card.

Im a regular traveler right now.  Last year I booked about 6-8 round trips with an average of 2000 miles per round trip.  If I end up with the Houston job then I'll be traveling a whole lot more plus international travel.  I was kind of thinking along the same lines of your post of using the card for a year and then probably canceling it and just using CSP (or my Delta card when I fly Delta). 

I need to read up on flyertalk and learn how best to utilize my cards and miles.  Not really looked into too much.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.