Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bank for adding kids as AU

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best bank for adding kids as AU

All,

I am going to add my child as a AU to one of my cards so they can start building a credit history.   The question is which card should I add them to.  Options are:

Chase 

Amex

Citi

cap one

Discover

I am going to hold onto the card and only give them access when they want to go to 7-11 or walmart ect.  so there is no outragous spend.  Which bank do you think I should use?? I was thinking chase but at this point I cant decide.   Thoughts....

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
delaney1
Established Contributor

Re: Best bank for adding kids as AU

@Anonymous wrote:

All,

I am going to add my child as a AU to one of my cards so they can start building a credit history.   The question is which card should I add them to.  Options are:

Chase 

Amex

Citi

cap one

Discover

I am going to hold onto the card and only give them access when they want to go to 7-11 or walmart ect.  so there is no outragous spend.  Which bank do you think I should use?? I was thinking chase but at this point I cant decide.   Thoughts....

I added them to two Cap One cards. I also called in and had a specific credit limit set up for each one.i think before my working college students got their own credit cards the limit was set at $1k or $2k (unlocked) and my high school aged child had a $500 limit(locked....I held the card, and she had to ask me to unlock it when she wanted to use it). I also added one of my kids to my Chase Freedom. I've had no issues.

Message 2 of 22
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Yeah not one of the banks here but I added my daughter to my NFCU oldest card 4 years ago. Last week with 4 years of perfect payments history she apped for her own card and got a $5K SL all on her own. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 3 of 22
Ficoproblems247
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All,

Chase 

Amex

Citi

cap one

Discover

It also depends on your child's age. Out of the lenders you listed, AMEX has a minimum age of 13 years old, Disco is 15. The rest have no age restrictions. I don't know if that applies to your situation, but that was something I found out when researching all of those lenders before I added my 11 yr old to my Citi DC. 

FICO 8 Sep '23 EX 755 EQ 765 TU 739
TCL $199,800
Message 4 of 22
Heatt99
Frequent Contributor

One that will accept them without AA or age restrictions.

Amex will start the aging process at time of AU. If there is a large limit on the card, it should weigh nicely with CPU lending.

High limits are cool, but remember the age of the card if older than the child, would look silly to lenders that actually look at profiles.

AUs in any capacity will help others when it comes to them trying to obtain primaries.

I say Discover & CapOne for 2 networks just in case of emergencies 

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks everyone!!

Message 6 of 22
Mr_Mojo_Risin
Senior Contributor

@Ficoproblems247 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All,

Chase 

Amex

Citi

cap one

Discover

It also depends on your child's age. Out of the lenders you listed, AMEX has a minimum age of 13 years old, Disco is 15. The rest have no age restrictions. I don't know if that applies to your situation, but that was something I found out when researching all of those lenders before I added my 11 yr old to my Citi DC. 

Thanks for adding those DP's. 

That helps me out in adding my grandson when he's of age, only 7 right now. Little ways to go. 😆

NFCU More Rewards 28K CL
NFCU Cash Rewards 16K CL
Citi Custom Cash 7.5K CL
AODFCU Visa Sig 5K CL
Discover IT 2.5K CL
Capital One QS 3600 CL
Message 7 of 22
805orbust
Valued Contributor

I've done this with all my kids. The easiest are:

Discover 

Chase

Amex

Simple. No nonsense, and quick. Those 3 worked out great and instantly for me.

Message 8 of 22
Wavester64
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

All,

Chase 

Amex

Citi

cap one

Discover

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I get advertisements all the time from CHASE for Children for, I believe it's called CHASE "First Banking" where they get their own debit card that you can monitor. Something you might want to consider.

Potential Future Cards
Message 9 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Wavester64 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

All,

Chase 

Amex

Citi

cap one

Discover

I know this doesn't answer your question, but I get advertisements all the time from CHASE for Children for, I believe it's called CHASE "First Banking" where they get their own debit card that you can monitor. Something you might want to consider.

Intresting....   I looked into it and apprently you have to have a checking account with Chase already to start one of these accounts.   Currently I only have a Chase CC but its something I am to keep in the back of my head down the road as I have several chase branches in the area.  Thanks for the tip.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.