cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best bet for Rebuilding?

tag
DonFico

Best bet for Rebuilding?

I'm currently am rebuilting my credit, so I'm trying to get a few cards under my belt before letting them age. My FICO scores range from 630 (lowest) to 644. I have a 7 year old CH7 BK, a two year old 30 day late payment, and one $280 medcal bill in collections.

1. I started out with a $200 secured Discover card a year and a half ago that has sense graguated to $1250.
  2. $300 unsecured Platium Capital One card.
  3. $300 Finger Hunt card.
  4. $200 secured Citi card.

I'd like to add one more long term card. Preferablely one with no annual fee, that will gradutate ,and/or is flexable as I plan on keeping the card indefinitely. P.S. I'm banned for life from NavyFed and BoA denigned me for a secured card... Other than those, any suggestions?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best bet for Rebuilding?

In my opinion, the best rebuild strategy is to get a few rebuild cards and sit on them while working on cleaning up derogs, worry about keeper cards further down the road, applying now only risks wasted inquiries for possible denials or approval with toy/bucketed limit that will probably never grow, like your CapOne Platinum. You have plenty of cards to rehab your profile, adding another toy limit card is not going to speed up the rebuilding process, just prolongs it.

Hit the garden and work on growing you Discover with SP CLIs, graduating Citi, PFD the collection (huge gain here), good will the 30 day late and let inquiries and new accounts hit their 1 year thresholds. Be patient, soon you will be here talking about 700+ scores, keeper card approvals with decent SLs and closing some of the rebuild cards.

Message 2 of 4
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Oldman87 is wise heed thy adviseSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yep 3 cards are all you need to rebuild and get rid of any baddies. When they start to fall off you will get good jumps in your score. Then you can start going after Chase cards if there are any that you like so that you will not be affected by 5/24 then after that only apply for what fits your needs. 

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.