cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for Costco , that’s not a Costco?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best card for Costco , that’s not a Costco?

Hello , I’ve started to shop at Costco lately (late to the train) lol , and out of the cards I have (in siggy + also Amex every card) which card would be best to use at Costco?
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best card for Costco , that’s not a Costco?

Sam's Club MC Smiley Wink
Message 2 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

Costco USA takes Visa online and V/MC/Disc for website orders.

If you do get a new card...
Costco Visa wins for extended warranty stuff.
US Bank Altitude Reserve wins for "book through us travel cash"...at clubs that take contactless/mobile payments.
BofA Premium with $100k+ in assets wins for cash back or at clubs that don't support contactless/mobile.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 3 of 15
wasCB14
Super Contributor

There are also cards like BofA Cash Rewards and Chase Freedom that can give great rewards, but with quarterly spend caps.
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 4 of 15
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Of the cards I see in your signature it appears Chase Amazon & Barclays are the only Visa's that offer any kind of point or cash.

If you are shopping in the USA, you'll need a Visa card, debit card, cash or check book.
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well , I’m looking to get more travel rewards so I’m leaning towards my capital one venture
Message 6 of 15
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

If it's a Visa, use it... or shop online. I don't have the Venture card, and all other capital one cards I have that Google says are Visa cards started that way and changed to Mastercard. I assumed it was a Mastercard since it has no card logo and Capital One doesn't mention which network it uses (no mention of signature or world elite in the terms I read before posting).
Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think people tend to forget/not realize it's a Visa. 

Message 8 of 15
mongstradamus
Super Contributor

While not the best card in the world to use at costco I just use the plain Jane FU or Ink unlimited its 1.5x , its not really the best option. Usually what I will try and do is when Freedom has 5x at warehouse is cap it buying costco GC that I can use the rest of the year. When I am done with those gift cards i just use FU with Apple Pay. 

EX Fico 804 11/16/16 Fako 800 Credit.com 11/16/16
EQ SW bank enhanced 11/16/16 839 CK fako 822 11/16/16
TU Fico discover 10/19/16 814 Fako 819 Creditkarma 11/16/16
Message 9 of 15
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I think people tend to forget/not realize it's a Visa. 

On several cards, Capital One flips between offering Mastercard or Visa so often that online images skip the network logo.

It looks to me that the OP's VentureOne Visa offers the best reward at Costco.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.