cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for a student with part-time income?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best card for a student with part-time income?

Now that you've built up some history with Chase, it is quite likely that your next card with them will have a higher limit. My Freedom had a limit of 500$, and on applying 6 months later, ended up getting a 6k limit on the CSP.

Message 11 of 17
mitchblue
Valued Contributor

If AF is not a deal breaker I'd recommend the Amex BCP, 6% on Groceries, 3% on Gas is a pretty solid combo. Also 3% at department store if that's your thing..

FICO® 8 Scores 821 FICO® 9 Equifax 826 (Updated 02-7-23)
Message 12 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Now that you've built up some history with Chase, it is quite likely that your next card with them will have a higher limit. My Freedom had a limit of 500$, and on applying 6 months later, ended up getting a 6k limit on the CSP.

I do like the Amazon card but am just concerned about getting a toy limit...

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@mitchblue wrote:

If AF is not a deal breaker I'd recommend the Amex BCP, 6% on Groceries, 3% on Gas is a pretty solid combo. Also 3% at department store if that's your thing..

The BCE was on my short list but I would really like some more CL with V/MC first. My spending right now is definitely not worth any AF; I'm mainly looking to establish my credit and have some good, usable limits.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do have BoA's 3-2-1 card on my list. Is the 10% customer bonus on redemption as simple as having a savings account, or am I missing something? I know they're generally a HP CLI but I hear their CLI's are more worthwhile than Chase usually is... I know my scores are good right now but has anybody with a part-time income gotten a good SL? Would I do better or worse app'ing for the student version? I'm not currently a customer, but I would be willing to open a savings account first.

Message 15 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

What is your opinion on Chase AARP?

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the card but I'm opposed to AARP for political reasons (a discussion outside the TOS I'm sure...) so it's off the table for me. If it was a Chase-branded card I probably would've already app'd.
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.