Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for collecting Avios

tag
Omnipotent
Regular Contributor

Re: Best card for collecting Avios

IF you do decide on the BA Chase card, look out for the 100K sign up bonus. 50k after 2k spend in the first 3 months. 25k additional after an additional 8k spend within the first year. 25k additional after 10k spend (still in that first year for a total of 20k spend).

BUT again, it depends on where most of your spending is. 

Message 11 of 13
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Is there any chance you can use the companion ticket with the Chase BA card?

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 12 of 13
-NewGuy-
Moderator Emeritus

@CreditScholar wrote:

Is there any chance you can use the companion ticket with the Chase BA card?

CS,

I could use it in certain circumstances, but not enough for it to really be much of a bonus for me beause of the way it has to be used. First of all, it has to be used on BA, it can't be used on any of their partner airlines (AA, Iberia, etc) like the Avios themselves can be. Also, you have to originate and finish in the United States. This means that you will have to take an inter-country flights on BA, which means you are going to get taxed like crazy. Even in the small print, it says that it comes with taxes between 600-1200+ for BOTH the person using Avios and the companion using the ticket.

One of the travel blogs did an article showing that it could save money if you were going to take a first class trip halfway around the world, where the tickets would normally run 10K, it would only cost 2.5k with the pass. But that's not me. I'd rather take flights from LAX to the Hawaiian Islands with pretty much no fees, or maybe to other parts of the US, or transfer some Avios to Iberia or another partner airline (that doesn't screw you with surcharges) if I want to go out of the country.

That AMEX EDP card really sounds interesting.

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.