cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for college student over 21 - UPDATED

tag
Kforce
Valued Contributor

Re: Best card for college student over 21?

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kforce wrote:

As she is now 21, I believe household income is able to be used,

as compared to just personal income.

This should make for higher CL's and cards with better benefits than student cards 

I did some searching here after reading your post. I don't think she can claim our income, because she fully supports herself. We pay for a few things here and there and she lives with us during school breaks, but that's all.  She is an authorized user on several of our credit cards but not our checking account.  So I don't think she can show a reasonable expectation of access to our income.

You are correct, searching on-line I have found that the rules have changed.

I know my daughter was able to use my income when she was 21 and in college.

However the game has changed.

Message 11 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Hmm I keep going back to the fact that she has a banking relationship with Chase for me to not ignore it. I know you said she checked the Chase prequal page and got offers to pop up but has she by any chance gone to a branch office and checked for offers that way? Because my only true concern if she were to app with them is that Chase doesn't like thin files but I'm thinking her already existing relationship with them will bypass that concern they may have and from there it's a just a matter of picking which card suits her needs whether it's the Freedom/CFU to even perhaps the CSP depending on what type of travel/dining expenses she'll incur once she travels abroad and if she can meet the spend bonus.

Message 12 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

Hmm I keep going back to the fact that she has a banking relationship with Chase for me to not ignore it. I know you said she checked the Chase prequal page and got offers to pop up but has she by any chance gone to a branch office and checked for offers that way? Because my only true concern if she were to app with them is that Chase doesn't like thin files but I'm thinking her already existing relationship with them will bypass that concern they may have and from there it's a just a matter of picking which card suits her needs whether it's the Freedom/CFU to even perhaps the CSP depending on what type of travel/dining expenses she'll incur once she travels abroad and if she can meet the spend bonus.

No, we have not gone into the branch to ask. I'm not sure we'll have time before she goes back to school.  Chase was my son's first card last year, at age 18, with as thin a file as they come aside from authorized user accounts.  I think they liked his banking history with them.  He too kept a significant checking balance (5 figures) for a couple years first.

Message 13 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

No, we have not gone into the branch to ask. I'm not sure we'll have time before she goes back to school.  Chase was my son's first card last year, at age 18, with as thin a file as they come aside from authorized user accounts.  I think they liked his banking history with them.  He too kept a significant checking balance (5 figures) for a couple years first.

If that's the case I think it would be fine for her to app for 3rd card with them assuming the NFCU app goes through smoothly. Banking relationships matter a lot I just didnt know how much they did with Chase even with thin files, but having read your son's success your daughter should be fine as well.

Message 14 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

Appears my first post disappeared. Weird. Anyways, if that's the case I think your daughter should be fine for apping for a Chase card for her 3rd card assuming the NFCU app goes though fine; that would be ideal for FICO scoring purposes while they grow. I know that banking relationships matter but didn't know how Chase viewed them even with thin files, but reading about your son's success your daughter should be good to go.

Message 15 of 25
Anonymous
Not applicable

My daughter decided on NFCU cash and Chase FU.  We did Chase first, because NFCU goes a bit crazy with the HPs like they are candy.  I wanted to do Chase while she only had 2 inquiries from 16 months ago.

Chase approved $7,000 SL

Navy approved $24,000 SL   Smiley Surprised

I freaked out a little bit and began lecturing her on how she doesn't need that much credit and to never use it all.  Sheesh.  I'm over 40 and just got my first 24k limit a month ago.

Thank you all for the help deciding.  It really did help.  

Message 16 of 25
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My daughter decided on NFCU cash and Chase FU.  We did Chase first, because NFCU goes a bit crazy with the HPs like they are candy.  I wanted to do Chase while she only had 2 inquiries from 16 months ago.

Chase approved $7,000 SL

I freaked out a little bit and began lecturing her on how she doesn't need that much credit and to never use it all.  Sheesh.  I'm over 40 and just got my first 24k limit a month ago.

That's awesome to hear! Think that should deserve its own approval post lol. Tell her congrats on the approvals there those should grow nicely.

Message 17 of 25
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Chase approved $7,000 SL

Wow!! Congrats! Navy loves her profile.😀

Message 18 of 25
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Best card for college student over 21 - UPDATED

Thats incredible. What did i tell ya, Navy for padding , Chase for everyday use lolSmiley Wink. Navy never ceases to amaze meSmiley Wink
Message 19 of 25
shoegal
Valued Contributor

Re: Best card for college student over 21 - UPDATED

Congrats! That's awesome! I wish my mom had taught me about CCs like you're doing at her age. She's lucky to have you. Smiley Happy

Message 20 of 25
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.