Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for dining: advice please

tag
brother7
Established Contributor

Best card for dining: advice please

Citi Forward's 5x points for restaurants will end June 4 so now I'm in search of a new card for dining out.

Is there any card that offers better than 3% in non-rotating categories? If not, I'll settle on the new Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi which offers 3% cash back on restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

04/01/2020 - EX 849 (Credit Scorecard EX FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
02/20/2020 - TU 850 (Discover TU FICO® Score 8, range 300-850)
03/24/2020 - EQ 884 (Citi EQ FICO® Bankcard Score 8, range 250-900)
GOAL - 800! - App free since 11/22/2017
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Re: Best card for dining: advice please

There's nothing greater than 3 percent, no, other than us bank cash+ with 5 percent but that's only at fast food merchants. Otherwise, 3 percent is the most you can find at this time that isn't rotating.
Message 2 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@brother7 wrote:

Citi Forward's 5x points for restaurants will end June 4 so now I'm in search of a new card for dining out.

Is there any card that offers better than 3% in non-rotating categories? If not, I'll settle on the new Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi which offers 3% cash back on restaurants.

Thanks in advance.

It depends if you want directly cash back or not. 

Chase's AARP Visa is 3% on dining, Synchrony's new Marvel Mastercard also gives 3% on dining (and a huge list of 'entertainment' items), and the Sam's Club Mastercard also gives 3% on dining (in addition to 5% on gas and 3% on travel as well).

I am not aware of any other nationally attainable cards that give even 3% for all restaurants, but if you could make use of a point system you could squeeze a little bit more value out with something like Chase's UR point system if you converted those points into miles with an airline with flight miles worth 1.5 cents per point or higher.

Message 3 of 14
JamP
Valued Contributor

Our personal preference is the Chase AARP 3% which is unlimited on Restaurants and Gas.

I know you said non rotating catagories but honerable mention goes to Huntington The Voice which lets you set it at 3% for restuarants forever and ofcourse I am using my Discover 5% (10% double rewards) because its the catagory right now.

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Sapphire Preferred has a return that's probably better than 3% cash back if you like travel (depending on where you transfer your points).

Message 5 of 14
Loquat
Moderator Emeritus

I use my Sam's Club MC for dining...

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

The Amex Hilton card earns 5x the points at US restaurants, gas stations and supermarkets.  I always stay at Hilton brand hotel so this card will work for me. 

Message 7 of 14
deltatee
Frequent Contributor

My personal preference is CSP when Freedom and Discover aren't rotating.  Also, the new Citi Anywhere card is going in June with 3% on dining!

Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I like the AARP 3% and no AF.
Message 9 of 14
Open123
Super Contributor

When it comes to dining, I really miss the Cash+ 5% & 25% bonus.  That was the best!

Now, most would likely get the most return on 3% cashback, since the 2X on CSP/PRG isn't worth it for dining alone, unless one dines so much that it offsets the annual fee. 

Of course, it's a great value during the first year sign-up bonus and fee waiver, but may not make sense on dining alone.  However, if one can redeem points near optimal value and justify the fee (benefits and other travel related expenditures), then 2X UR & 2X MR trumps 3% cash.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.