Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for domestic flights

tag
Drwaz99
Established Contributor

Re: Best card for domestic flights

@Loquat wrote:

Barclays offers an American Airlines card as well.  Not sure of (if any) bonus categories on that card.  

The Aviator Red is simply 1x miles per dollar across the board. But if you choose to upgrade to the Aviator Silver (usually after 90 days) you'll get 3x miles on AA purchases and 2x on hotel and rental cars. But it does come with a higher $195 AF. 

Message 11 of 20
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

If I lived in Boston, I would get one of the two Jet Blue credit cards.  Jet Blue has the largest share of Boston flights, and they're more pleasant to do business with than American, United, or Delta.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 12 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wells Fargo propel plus Wells Fargo visa signature combo.

4.5% on travel, gas, dining when redeemd towards travel.

No AF, no airline restrictions, no perks neither, lol.
Message 13 of 20
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Wells Fargo propel plus Wells Fargo visa signature combo.

4.5% on travel, gas, dining when redeemd towards travel.

No AF, no airline restrictions, no perks neither, lol.

Regarding that 4.5%, it's important to note that only applies when points are redeemed for flights using the GoFar Rewards portal.

It it was for any 'travel' I would be jumping on it with both feet.

Message 14 of 20
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Since you don't have any loyalty, it sounds to me like you might be better off with a travel purchase eraser like Discover It Miles or Cap1 Venture. 2% back, fly what you want and just use the credits. 

If you are just going to purchase erase (rather than transfer to Venture partners) Venture makes no sense with the AF after the first year, use a free 2% card

Message 15 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can transfer MRs to Avios (British Airways) to book American Airline flights.
Message 16 of 20
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I used my AMEX Gold SUB and three months of MR earnings to book flights for me, wife and two kids to Disney World in November.  I got my flights for 17,000 SkyMiles each.  So for 68,000 MR and $80 we are going to Disney.  I ended up getting 2.3cpp using MR.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 17 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

@EAJuggalo wrote:

I used my AMEX Gold SUB and three months of MR earnings to book flights for me, wife and two kids to Disney World in November.  I got my flights for 17,000 SkyMiles each.  So for 68,000 MR and $80 we are going to Disney.  I ended up getting 2.3cpp using MR.

That's a great cpp redemption!  About $411/ticket if I'm doing my math right?? 

From what I've seen and read it's unusual to get domestic air at that rate.  Any tricks on how you pulled it off?  Or just luck?  Or is that a common number seen with Delta?  Were you flexible with dates, times, stops, etc?

I feel the Delta Platinum might be the best airline card for me if I'm going to go that route and then try and stay loyal to Delta whenever possible.  Prob would almost never use the card as Amex Gold is better to use to pay for pretty much anything over the Delta card.  But, free checked bag, early boarding and the companion ticket probably put it over the top even with a $195 AF.  If I find the companion ticket isn't worth the extra $100 over Delta Gold I could probably just downgrade.

Message 18 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Staying loyal to delta is not very useful IF you have many other options. I don't have a choice, so I am 80% in delta, but if options are available, looking around multiple airlines can be cheaper than chasing whatever cpp delta can offer you.

e.g., I can get an AA ticket with avios for DFW-MEX at 1.6cpp. But I can also get the same trip with interjet for 25% cheaper price than AA. When alternative airline is considered, that 1.6cpp becomes 1.3cpp.

Message 19 of 20
EAJuggalo
Established Contributor

I was flexible with stops and times but had my dates and destination set before looking.  Non-stop was 27,000 miles each but being willing to stop in Atl and fly in the afternoon changed the math a lot.  Delta just changed the schedule of my return flight from MCO to ATL, so I got bumped to a non-stop at no additional charge since there wasn't enough time to make my connection in ATL.

EX700 TU 704 EQ 694 4/03/22
Cap1 QS-$4,500 Chase Freedom Flex- $800 Chase Freedom Unlimited- $1,000 Victoria's Secret- $1,200 Citi DC- $800 Amazon Store Card- $3,500 AMEX Hilton Honors-$1,000 Discover It-$1,000 Wal-Mart MC $290 Chase Sapphire Preferred-$5,000 NFCU Flagship $13,800 AMEX BCE-$1,000 AMEX Gold-$5,000 AMEX Delta Blue $1,000 Lowe's $5,000 Navy Platinum $17,000 AMEX BBP $2,000
Message 20 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.