Did you mean: 

Best card for groceries.

tag
bada_bing
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best card for groceries.

@wacdenney wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Even if they aren't willing to immediately reinstate the previous APR, as long as you PIF each month it won't matter.  Also, even in that case you should still be eligible for your previous rate after (I believe) six months of timely payments.

I know it's a personal thing, but for me I would put aside my irritation to get the $285/year in cash rewards from the BCP, especially since your alternatives include taking a HP for a new account with a different lender.

($6000 x 6%) - $75 AF = $285/year, not including gasoline or department store purchases

I spoke with her this morning about calling in and talking to AMEX and she did agree to do so.  She's going to have to anyway even if they don't re-instate the previous rate she would need to call to find out when the AF hits and explore options anyway. 

I do agree that rate really shouldn't even matter on a rewards card, but the way her checks hit is fairly random so she does from time to time have to carry small balances forward.  I think where we are right now is just waiting for her to get a chance to call in.  Depending upon how that goes we will decide how to proceed.

If it worked out that she wanted to PC her BCP to BCE and I wanted to PC my BCE to BCP is that something AMEX is known to do?  When we were discussing it this morning she asked about a PC to something with no AF and I didn't really know the answer to give her where AMEX is concerned.

I'm sure you know this, but carrying even $1 in interest bearing balance results in loosing the grace period for up to 2 months. You may be paying enough on interest to totally wipe out any cash back rewards, If you are very close to PIF and just missing it by a few dollars here and there, you might reap a lot more advantage by addressing that, than by trying to max out cash back stategy. Also, if you can get to consistent PIF, the APR doesn't matter at all. All obvious, but easy to overlokk.

+ 850 FICO8 since 2015, Thanks MyFICO - 5+ years since last HP
Message 21 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sallie Mae works for me, but I realize 250 is a very low cap for most grocery shoppers.  I also like how I can use that at Target/Wal-Mart and get 5% unlike my BCE.  BOA Cash Rewards works at those places as well. 

Message 22 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Kenny wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Even if they aren't willing to immediately reinstate the previous APR, as long as you PIF each month it won't matter.  Also, even in that case you should still be eligible for your previous rate after (I believe) six months of timely payments.

I know it's a personal thing, but for me I would put aside my irritation to get the $285/year in cash rewards from the BCP, especially since your alternatives include taking a HP for a new account with a different lender.

($6000 x 6%) - $75 AF = $285/year, not including gasoline or department store purchases

I spoke with her this morning about calling in and talking to AMEX and she did agree to do so.  She's going to have to anyway even if they don't re-instate the previous rate she would need to call to find out when the AF hits and explore options anyway. 

I do agree that rate really shouldn't even matter on a rewards card, but the way her checks hit is fairly random so she does from time to time have to carry small balances forward.  I think where we are right now is just waiting for her to get a chance to call in.  Depending upon how that goes we will decide how to proceed.

If it worked out that she wanted to PC her BCP to BCE and I wanted to PC my BCE to BCP is that something AMEX is known to do?  When we were discussing it this morning she asked about a PC to something with no AF and I didn't really know the answer to give her where AMEX is concerned.

Amex will do the PCs if you'd like to do that. Stretch her PC out to the BCE until right before the AF hits, however.

AMEX does pro-rated AF refunds so this isn't necessary

Message 23 of 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

@Kenny wrote:

@wacdenney wrote:

@UncleB wrote:

Amex will do the PCs if you'd like to do that. Stretch her PC out to the BCE until right before the AF hits, however.

AMEX does pro-rated AF refunds so this isn't necessary

Yes, this is true. Smiley Very Happy (The stretching out isn't necessary.)

Message 24 of 30
tbenz6876
New Contributor

What is BCE. I would like to see about this card as well since we all grocery shop.

Message 25 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tbenz6876 wrote:

What is BCE. I would like to see about this card as well since we all grocery shop.

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/blue-cash-everyday

Message 26 of 30
tbenz6876
New Contributor

Ouch might be hard getting approved from Amex since I had a Chapter 7 BK discharged in 09 with them. I know they have declined me for a Costco Amex last year.

Message 27 of 30
darwin_wins
Established Contributor

From what I have read, including Amex in BK is/ was bad idea. They tend to remember things for a long time. I think I read someone was able to get back in Amex after almost a decade + time.

Hope your luck is better

Message 28 of 30
Kenny
Moderator Emeritus

My parent had an authorized user who spent about $1200 on her green card and she couldn't pay it. The amount went into collections, and it finally fell off her reports. She applied last year instant denial (no HP).. applied this year for the Platinum (the 100k offer) and was miraculously approved. Subsequently, she was approved for a $1k SPG, at the same time. I think the $450 AF had something to do with it, but that's just my own theory! Smiley Wink The SPG was just Amex throwing the dog a bone, I think... maybe because it also has an AF that's due year 2? Now this was probably 1991 or so when the charge off occurred.

When your scores are better and your profile looks right for the Sallie Mae, I highly recommend that for you.

Message 29 of 30
tbenz6876
New Contributor

Well just tried applying for the Sallie Mae card and was not given an instant approval. Same for United Milagee Plus Explorer card.

Message 30 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.