Did you mean: 

Best card for my 18 year old?

tag
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

Re: Best card for my 18 year old?

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@aesl1982 wrote:

Yes that's true, the plan is to get her a card she can use as a daily driver, of limit is good enough. I'll be paying the bill monthly. But it'll mainly be for her needs while away at college. I could manage this with her debit card. But I'd rather do it through a credit card to help her more by building credit with her own accounts. 

" I'll be paying the bill monthly."  ... I feel for ya! ..been there done that.

Good Luck on whatever you decideSmiley Happy

Lol, it's my first one. She's pretty responsible with money and finances. She's in ffa she's won checks of 10k plus over her career always been very smart about saving vs spending. I hope it continues when she's out her own. We can just hope we did a good job teaching her. It will be closely monitored lol. 

Discover it miles 9/19 Sl 5000 | Care Credit 9/19 SL 3500 | Cap 1 QS 4/14 AU 500 | Cap 1 QS1 4/14 AU 600 | NFCU Secured 8/19 200 | NFCU CLOC 9/19 500 | NFCU auto 10/19 6.29 66k | NFCU Auto 4.9% 37k
Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 11 of 50
aesl1982
Regular Contributor

@Duke_Nukem wrote:

My 2 DD's just went through that stage a little over a year ago.  One was a 22yo college student and the other was a 18yo HS student taking dual enrolled college courses (she had a college ID).

We were late getting the 22yo started with credit.  I added both DD's as AU on 4 of our CC's in Oct '18 and the oldest applied for the CapOne Journey Student card in Nov '18.  Denied.  Eventually I found this wonderful site and we decided to see if they prequalified for a Disco card.  They both applied and were approved for the Disco Chrome Student (the gas and restaurant cashback fit them well).

The Disco student card did require entering the college / university they attended, so if your 18yo isn't enrolled in a college they may not accept the application as a student (not sure how they treat that).

Highly recommend the Disco cards, as they have grown very nicely for my DD's.  NFCU would also make a great choice, but they will have to become members themselves if they aren't already.

Good luck!

She is a member there with her checking account. I think from the suggestions here. Discover, nfcu and cap one may be the best paces to hit for her 

Discover it miles 9/19 Sl 5000 | Care Credit 9/19 SL 3500 | Cap 1 QS 4/14 AU 500 | Cap 1 QS1 4/14 AU 600 | NFCU Secured 8/19 200 | NFCU CLOC 9/19 500 | NFCU auto 10/19 6.29 66k | NFCU Auto 4.9% 37k
Experian- 702
Equifax- 676
Transunion- 611
Util- 9%
Message 12 of 50
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Good luck! Would love to hear what she ends up qualifying for. 

Message 13 of 50
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

I had a very similar profile for my brother. All AU accounts, no history of their own at all.

I lined up the accounts to do AZEO, then apped in this order for him...

Amex Blue Cash Everyday 2k

Capital One Savor One 2k

NFCU CashRewards 1k

NFCU Secured nRewards $200

NFCU Shared Pledge Loan, 5yr, 3k (immediately paid down to <8.9%)

Yes. I did a secured Navy card immediately after a successful unsecured app. It will grow to 25k. And it will age exactly like the others.

Also, it's been 3 months now.

I got a CLI on the American Express at 61 days, now it's 4k.

And I disputed the AU accounts off his report a few days ago.

Maybe you can use some of those data points, there they are, good luck!

Message 14 of 50
M_Smart007
Legendary Contributor

@omgitsMatt wrote:

Hope He thanked you and bought you a pizzaSmiley Very Happy

Message 15 of 50
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

I did all apps on same day too.

Final thought,

The Amex approval was a very very very lucky unicorn application. I did AZEO with the AUs and his scores were in 740s to 760s. It was the first app of the spree, no HPs yet, Cap1 went next. Then Navy.

I initially thought the Amex was a denial.

Got a letter in mail week later for him asking for proof of identity.

It was supposed to only be 3 CCs, that dark horse approval surprised me

Edit,

Also, I just disputed the AU accounts off his profile a few days ago. After all the accounts turned 3 months old.

So from the outside looking in, he doesn't look like he got a leg up.

Message 16 of 50
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@M_Smart007 wrote:

@omgitsMatt wrote:

Hope He thanked you and bought you a pizzaSmiley Very Happy

No, ofc not!!

I don't think most of our loved ones realize how incredibly useful and rare our niche advice is for them!

People would pay good money for me to do for them what I did for him, I'm incredibly envious of his credit start right out the gate

Not one pizza.

Message 17 of 50
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't believe Cap1 prequal works for those under 21. I'd go with Disco and NFCU, those will grow nicely with her. Never truly know how Cap1 will grow. They have buckets that she may (far down the line) have to work her way out of my combinations/new cards etc. Good luck! Great job starting her off with a great credit journey.
Message 18 of 50
omgitsMatt
Frequent Contributor

@aesl1982 wrote:

So my oldest is turning 18 next month and i want to get her a couple cards to send her off to college with. She is very responsible kid and understands credit already. On her profile she is sitting at 740 currently across the board. she is an authorized user on 4 cards of mine. a discover for 5k, two cap 1/s at 600 and 500, and our care credit at 5500. It says her average age is 2 years 6 months, and obviously zero inquires. we are also members at NFCU. 

When you pull the trigger, can you let us know what you did, how you did it and the results for data points? I find the results of forum regulars doing this for loved ones good data points to know, wish there was more reported data on virgin profiles and opening accounts.

Message 19 of 50
mk2012

So I just read this thread and applied for my 18 year old son with NFCU. He has been a member there for about a year and maintains a good checking account, he makes 15k a year and they just approved him for 10,200! for the cash rewards card. Any idea why they would give him such a high limit??? Im kinda freak out right now.

Message 20 of 50
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.