Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best card for travel to Europe

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best card for travel to Europe

I am planning a couple of trips for 2019 or 2020. I'm thinking mostly of going to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, and maybe Iceland. I haven't travelled internationally before, so I am unsure which card I should use while I am there. I prefer not to get a new card if possible, because all of my inquiries are gone and I don't have any new accounts on my report. I would like to keep it that way if I can. I have the following cards:

• Citi DC
  • CapOne Quicksilver (Mastercard)
  • Amex BCE
  • Discover IT
  • Blispay

My first thought is that the QS doesn't have foreign transaction fees, so that would be best, but I thought I should ask the experts. Also, would I need to have a new version of a card sent to me? One with a chip and pin? I guess mine has a chip but doesn't require a pin. Thanks in advance. Smiley Wink

ETA: Quicksilver is a Mastercard (product changed from QS1 a few years ago), if that makes a difference.

Message 1 of 27
26 REPLIES 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best card for travel to Europe

@Anonymous wrote:

I am planning a couple of trips for 2019 or 2020. I'm thinking mostly of going to Ireland, Scotland, Wales, England, and maybe Iceland. I haven't travelled internationally before, so I am unsure which card I should use while I am there. I prefer not to get a new card if possible, because all of my inquiries are gone and I don't have any new accounts on my report. I would like to keep it that way if I can. I have the following cards:

• Citi DC
  • CapOne Quicksilver
  • Amex BCE
  • Discover IT
  • Blispay

My first thought is that the QS doesn't have foreign transaction fees, so that would be best, but I thought I should ask the experts. Also, would I need to have a new version of a card sent to me? One with a chip and pin? I guess mine has a chip but doesn't require a pin. Thanks in advance. Smiley Wink

Citi DC and Blispay have FTF. The Amex BCE has FTF and not accepted at some places. The Discover IT has no FTF, but almost nobody accpets it.

With just the cards you already have, your best option is the Capital One Quicksilver. I don't believe Capital One have a chip and pin card. You should be fine at most places in Europe with chip and signature card. 

Message 2 of 27
jl4
Established Contributor

Agreed. Out of that list, the Capital One card would be the safest. Not sure if it applies to transactions but Capital One does have PINs for cash advances: https://www.capitalone.com/support-center/credit-cards/request-PIN/

When I was in Europe a few months ago, my card loadout was:

- Citi Prestige

- BECU Visa

- Chase CSP

- BECU Debit card (for cash; they refunded the ATM fees, too)

All had zero FTF. 

There were some buisnesses that took American Express (I'd say about 3/4 of the ones I saw accepted it, and 100% in tourist areas).

As far as a pin goes, worst case scenario, most merchants will have you sign (they know Americans are behind the curve). Also don't accept currency conversion under any circumstance. No automated system/toll/ticketing/vending machine asked for a PIN on my cards that didn't have one. 

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 3 of 27
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

• Citi DC
  • CapOne Quicksilver
  • Amex BCE
  • Discover IT
  • Blispay

What you should do is apply for one of Amex's many cards which have no FTF. Nowadays it is almost always a soft pull for a new card for existing Amex cardholders.

I would not want to go to Europe with Cap One as my only non-FTF card.

So you would have a new account, but not a new inquiry.

For someone who wants to do some serious travel overseas, I think you should add a good card for this purpose.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 4 of 27
NRB525
Super Contributor

Quicksilver.

What is your QS limit?
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 27
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Agree that out of your current options the QuickSilver is the best option, but CapOne can sometimes be finicky when you do actually try to use the card. Be sure to set a travel notification with them beforehand. For automated kiosks, you should be able to use the same PIN you would use for cash advance. I had few problems using a CapOne in Netherlands when swiping began to go away there.

For face to face transactions, it’ll still be chip and signature. In areas frequented often by tourists, the cashiers are used to it. Off the beaten path, you may occasionally get a strange reaction. Also a gigantic +1 to always pay in the local currency!

Message 6 of 27
jl4
Established Contributor

@K-in-Boston wrote:

Agree that out of your current options the QuickSilver is the best option, but CapOne can sometimes be finicky when you do actually try to use the card. Be sure to set a travel notification with them beforehand. For automated kiosks, you should be able to use the same PIN you would use for cash advance. I had few problems using a CapOne in Netherlands when swiping began to go away there.

For face to face transactions, it’ll still be chip and signature. In areas frequented often by tourists, the cashiers are used to it. Off the beaten path, you may occasionally get a strange reaction. Also a gigantic +1 to always pay in the local currency!

CapitalOne doesn't do this, anymore. My DF brought her Savor and had no trouble using it. It's also her daily driver. 

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 7 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have been to Iceland , England, Ireland and Scotland. The only place I needed was chip and pin was in Scotland at unattended garage and at a unattended gas station. At the garage I was able to use debit card.

I would say the credit card would be more based on what your local airport major airline which flies to Europe.
Message 8 of 27
creditfan
Established Contributor

I would say Cap1 like anyone who has said it above, however if you can afford a new account I will show you a good card that I also was looking for

SDFCU card;

has 2% for everything

chip+pin priority

no AF

no FTF 

Message 9 of 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

@NRB525 wrote:
Quicksilver.

What is your QS limit?

$8,500 I think. I only use that card about once a year to keep it active.

Also, the Quicksilver is a Mastercard (not Visa) because I product changed it from the QS1 a few years ago, if that makes a difference.

Message 10 of 27
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.