Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cards for oversea vacation

tag
Henchman21
Frequent Contributor

Re: Best cards for oversea vacation

You don't need the chip. I never had any problems using a card in Europe or pulling from a foreign ATM.
2/16/13 Scores EX: 594, TU:513, EQ:563 -- Cap One Secured: $200, Kay's: $400

GOAL #1: 625 -- CHECK!

3/31/15 Scores TU: 621 -- Cap One Secured: $750, Kay's: $900, CareCredit: $1000, Aerie $350, Fingerhut $1350

Goal #2: A travel card. REC ME!
Message 11 of 17
slg
New Contributor

I dont know if i can bring myself to pay an annual fee that high for an Amex. Do they charge it up front or can I cancel in a year before it hits? Also I read that Amex much like here isn't as widely accepted overseas as visa and mc, anyone know about that? I'd hate for my free forex card to not be accepted and have to resort to my backup.
BCE 12800, bofa travel rewards 8k, Barclays apple 6200, Macy's 2000, Macy's Amex 3200, merrick bank 300 , Victoria secret 1350, jcrew 1350
Message 12 of 17
scenery_guy
Established Contributor

The Platinum AF is billed about the second statement. If you cancel you can get part of it back prorated I believe. IDK about AMEX being widely accepted everywhere, most AMEX carriers (me included) are accustomed to carrying a back up. You have to whine a bit then pull out a Visa or MC. I'm sure the French will understand that part Smiley Wink

If you can muster the AF it's a great travel card. Good signup bonus should help with the ouch of the AF as well, and you can use the points to help pay for the flights. 

Message 13 of 17
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@bernhardtra wrote:

Maybe one of the reasons for not having a card with a chip is that it is easy to steal the information from it.  I have heard stories about how there are some people who hang around airports with chip readers and simply steal the card information and then either use or sell it.  I have a friend that it happened to, so be careful maybe keep them in a steel wallet.

Really?  An EMV chip?  I believe that really needs physical possesion or very close contact with the card.  There have been reports of such things with near-field (paywave or whatever), and with chipped passports, but most of these are theoretical (as compared to cloning the card by swiping, which really does happen!).  SO the big question is: how does your friend even know what happened?  If there were fraudulent charges, it could have happened any number of ways.

Not to say EMV is nearly as secure as vendors would like, but generally much better than mag stripe

Message 14 of 17
cashnocredit
Valued Contributor

@bs6054 wrote:

@bernhardtra wrote:

Maybe one of the reasons for not having a card with a chip is that it is easy to steal the information from it.  I have heard stories about how there are some people who hang around airports with chip readers and simply steal the card information and then either use or sell it.  I have a friend that it happened to, so be careful maybe keep them in a steel wallet.

Really?  An EMV chip?  I believe that really needs physical possesion or very close contact with the card.  There have been reports of such things with near-field (paywave or whatever), and with chipped passports, but most of these are theoretical (as compared to cloning the card by swiping, which really does happen!).  SO the big question is: how does your friend even know what happened?  If there were fraudulent charges, it could have happened any number of ways.

Not to say EMV is nearly as secure as vendors would like, but generally much better than mag stripe

Right.

EMV chips can't be cloned. Even if a transaction is recorded electronically that doesn't impair security since each transaction generates unique keys within the chip. The next use is different.  It is being confused with the "chips" used in many cards that offer wave pay. This is common in the US and used for small amount transactions. Some of these chips can be read remotely. There is some clear and demonstrated risk with these but it's not been exploited so far.  The biggest vulnerability is the mag stripe. These can be swiped by cheap mechanisms you can buy on ebay. Crooks can then clone the cards easily by rewriting the strip on an existing card (how many people actually check the swipe info to see if it matches the card number?).  More sophisticates ops just make new cards. The tech is simple.

Not so EMV chip and pin. Card fraud has virtually disappeared in the EU outside of card not present purchases where the chip isn't used.

I have reestablished credit over the last couple years
so my moniker is, well, rather out of date.

WM Discover $1800, WF Plat 12k, Chase Freedom Siggy18k, Amex Plat (60k H/B), Citi AA EWMC 25k
Message 15 of 17
jsucool76
Super Contributor

Bernhardtra that sounds more like the nfc chip anyways. You can buy the nrc readers for 10 bucks on ebay and then go rub it by peoples butts.
Message 16 of 17
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

CSP is almost useless in France (have just come back from Nice a couple of weeks ago) - yes, you'll have no problems in huge restaurants and hotel chains, but forget about paying tolls / many parking garages and doing lots of other everyday things with CSP...

Saying frankly - I like how CSP looks, but I don't want to pay almost $100 just for the look, so most likely I'll not keep it for the second year. 

I am still convinced that BofA Travel Rewards is one of the best travel cards out there. I wish I had a larger limit with BofA, then I would've probably never applied for CSP :-)...

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.