Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cards for travel.....help please

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best cards for travel.....help please

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

OP, it seems from your two posts that you have already researched all the major travel cards and have an opinion on each of them.  I don't think we're going to be able to show you any undiscovered gems.  The advice you've gotten to go back and reconsider Chase cards is about the best you're going to get.

I did a lot of research but it makes me feel good knowing I am not missing something. I agree with what you said about the advice and no undiscovered gems. 

Message 11 of 26
Citylights18
Valued Contributor

I would give the AMEX Green a good look. Its 3x on dining and 3x travel/transit including cruise lines. It also doesn't report your travel spending as its a NPSL card to help keep your utilization low. The minimum spend requirement of 2,000 dollars for 45,000 points is easy to hit.

AMEX has a lot of offers. Right now they have a small business promotion where you get $5 back if you spend at small businesses which you can look up but I was surprised that I was able to get it from a local pizza place and diner without intentionally looking for it. I've had the card for only 6 weeks and already have picked up $43 dollars from offers.

Lastly since the OP has Delta miles having an AMEX Green will allow you to directly top off your Delta account. I'd pick a card that helps you built your point ecoystem together and this is one that will do that.

Official travel point totals as of 12/26/23 (1,382,693 Total Points)
Chase Ultimate Rewards 661,525 | IHG One Rewards 144,443 | Hilton Honors 143,801 | AMEX Membership Rewards 102,729 | World of Hyatt 90,413 | Marriott Bonvoy 65,343 | Citi Thank You 62,712 | Wells Fargo Rewards 33,652 | Southwest Rapid Rewards 28,105 | United MileagePlus 13,316 | British Airways Avios 12,333 | Jet Blue TrueBlue 11,661 | NASA Platinum Rewards 1,883 | AA Advantage 1,744 | Navy Federal Rewards 792 | Delta Sky Miles 175 | Virgin Atlantic Virgin Points 100 | Lowes Business Rewards 6,992 ($69.92) | Amazon Rewards 475 ($4.75) | Discover CB 499 ($4.99)
Message 12 of 26
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MisterWives wrote:

Most people will recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred card(https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/preferred) as a catch-all well rounded travel card. I myself don't have it, but plan to in the future when doing heavy traveling as it does have an annual fee of $95 so better use it when there is a need. 

These days, people are much more likely to recommend the Sapphire Reserve.

Message 13 of 26
MisterWives
Regular Contributor

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MisterWives wrote:

Most people will recommend the Chase Sapphire Preferred card(https://creditcards.chase.com/rewards-credit-cards/sapphire/preferred) as a catch-all well rounded travel card. I myself don't have it, but plan to in the future when doing heavy traveling as it does have an annual fee of $95 so better use it when there is a need. 

I'm not sure about recommending a card with $550 AF you would really have to know them to say this card would be worth it that they travel enough to breakeven or above the CSP one. I'm sure most people would since with the $300 annual credit and the other card being a $95 fee already you only need to hit $200 in benefits to breakeven for it to be worth it. Still the fee is just pretty high for some to justify I believe. Plus they could do the CSP first then get the CSR afterwards if it does end up being a benefit.

Wants: PenFed Pathfinder Rewards(4x pts travel), PenFed Platinum Rewards Visa Signature (5pts Gas, 3pts Restaurants and Grocery), U.S. Bank Cash+ (5% Categories), Chase Freedom Flex (5% Rotating Categories, 5% Travel, 3% Restaurants)
Message 14 of 26
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

From OP's first post: "To give you an idea on my spending habits I will spend anywhere from $15,000-$20,000 next year on vacations. In addition as far as entertainment/dining out I spend about $5000 a year."

CSR would win out over CSP if they are eligible, particularly if they used the travel portal to book cruises or flights.

Message 15 of 26
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

Here are some options to look at:

CSP/CSR

US Bank Altitude Reserve (although they are a tough lender to get into, please read up)

Navy Federal Flagship

Wells Fargo Propel 

BofA Travel Rewards

AMEX Green/Gold/Plat

Hilton Aspire (Has a $250 airline credit and other credits)

Message 16 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@randomguy1 wrote:

Here are some options to look at:

CSP/CSR

US Bank Altitude Reserve (although they are a tough lender to get into, please read up)

Navy Federal Flagship

Wells Fargo Propel 

BofA Travel Rewards

AMEX Green/Gold/Plat

Hilton Aspire (Has a $250 airline credit and other credits)

The Wells Fargo Propel I like because it has the 3% back for dining and no foreign transaction fee. We eat out a lot when we travel so that would definitely get used. Any idea how hard of a card that is to get? I have no relationship with WF so I don't know what CR they pull or DPs for their approvals...

BofA has declined to give me credit twice both times stating no relationship with them. I don't want to open an uneeded account just for a credit card.

I did see the Aspire but I am not loyal to Hilton so I am not sure how much use that card would get.

AMEX cards I am looking over. It seems that they have quite a bit that I could get some good use out of that target my spending.

I have a checking with Chase but no cards. I have been pre-approved but other than CSR I don't see any cards that are better than other ones I am shooting for.

US Bank I dont have any relationshp with so I would want my scores to be much higher before attempting to apply. I will research their cards more though!

I am not familiar with Navy Federal flagship

Thank you so much for your response! Amex and WF Propel are definitely goal cards.

Message 17 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

From OP's first post: "To give you an idea on my spending habits I will spend anywhere from $15,000-$20,000 next year on vacations. In addition as far as entertainment/dining out I spend about $5000 a year."

CSR would win out over CSP if they are eligible, particularly if they used the travel portal to book cruises or flights.

I am definitely looking into this card. The problems I have had in the past though is a lot of times when I have had to use a specific travel port it ended up being more expensive than if I had used another site. I am not sure how the Chase portal works so I will have to look into that. 

Thank you for your help!

Message 18 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MisterWives wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@MisterWives wrote:

I'm not sure about recommending a card with $550 AF you would really have to know them to say this card would be worth it that they travel enough to breakeven or above the CSP one. I'm sure most people would since with the $300 annual credit and the other card being a $95 fee already you only need to hit $200 in benefits to breakeven for it to be worth it. Still the fee is just pretty high for some to justify I believe. Plus they could do the CSP first then get the CSR afterwards if it does end up being a benefit.

I agree with needing to make sure the AF is worth it. My husband and I both travel together and one thing I know is lounge access is expensive. The amount we fly and use lounges, the "free" lounge access and the cards that give annual companion tickets could be worth it for us. Not to mention the first bag free.

I just wish there was a card that would do everything lol. I don't mind an annual fee but I hate thinking about having 2 cards with high annual fees, if I have to get a seperate one for hotels and airlines. 

Thank you for your input!Smiley Happy

Message 19 of 26
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Citylights18 wrote:

I would give the AMEX Green a good look. Its 3x on dining and 3x travel/transit including cruise lines. It also doesn't report your travel spending as its a NPSL card to help keep your utilization low. The minimum spend requirement of 2,000 dollars for 45,000 points is easy to hit.

AMEX has a lot of offers. Right now they have a small business promotion where you get $5 back if you spend at small businesses which you can look up but I was surprised that I was able to get it from a local pizza place and diner without intentionally looking for it. I've had the card for only 6 weeks and already have picked up $43 dollars from offers.

Lastly since the OP has Delta miles having an AMEX Green will allow you to directly top off your Delta account. I'd pick a card that helps you built your point ecoystem together and this is one that will do that.

Awesome! Thank you for this info. This could work really well with my Delta miles!!

Message 20 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.