Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best cash back/rewards equivalent card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best cash back/rewards equivalent card?

Excluding all one time sign up bonuses and waived annual fee incentive (not valid after first year), I view my Amex Gold as the best card in my wallet with a 6%+ cash back equivalent.

Based on $50k annual spend ($15k groceries @ 4x pts, $15k dining @ 4x $10k travel @ 3x, $10k other categories @ 1x), I figure I earn 160,000 MR points a year. I value MR @ $.02/PP, or $3,200, plus $220 in credits for travel and restaurants, and I'm at $3,440 in rewards less $250 annual fee results in $3,190 net value/$50,000 spend = 6.38% cash back equivalent.

Am I missing anything? Anyone have a card that gives them a better return? If so, how much and how did you value?
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best cash back/rewards equivalent card?

I can't offer any advice as I've only just started exploring using rewards from cards. Just the same, I am very interested in seeing what the responses will be from other experienced forum members. Great question!
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:
Excluding all one time sign up bonuses and waived annual fee incentive (not valid after first year), I view my Amex Gold as the best card in my wallet with a 6%+ cash back equivalent.

Based on $50k annual spend ($15k groceries @ 4x pts, $15k dining @ 4x $10k travel @ 3x, $10k other categories @ 1x), I figure I earn 160,000 MR points a year. I value MR @ $.02/PP, or $3,200, plus $220 in credits for travel and restaurants, and I'm at $3,440 in rewards less $250 annual fee results in $3,190 net value/$50,000 spend = 6.38% cash back equivalent.

Am I missing anything? Anyone have a card that gives them a better return? If so, how much and how did you value?

If we assume that you spend what you say you do and that you can only use one card, then yes, the Amex Gold is the perfect card for you. I don't see any other card that will give you more value. 

For me, if I had to use one card it would be the CSR. I don't have exact numbers in front of me, but I use the Priority Pass restaurant access to more than offset the $150 net annual fee. Most of my expenses are travel and eating out and I can't think of a card out there that would give me more bang for my buck when you include the value of all the perks. 

Message 3 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

If we're going to include perks given on credit cards then that's a whole other ballgame here. Was under the assumption we're strictly talking spend here.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplynoir wrote:

If we're going to include perks given on credit cards then that's a whole other ballgame here. Was under the assumption we're strictly talking spend here.

So am I able to include the 1.5x multiplier than my CSR gets? Is that a perk of the card or are we just going off of the 3x I get on spend? Cause that changes things. If we're going on just spend, my Uber beats out the CSR (4x on dining vs 3x and 3x on travel vs 3x). So with travel washed, and most of my spend being on dining, if I had to choose only one card that gets me the most from just the categories I spend on, I'd go with the Uber. 

Message 5 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@simplynoir wrote:

So am I able to include the 1.5x multiplier than my CSR gets? Is that a perk of the card or are we just going off of the 3x I get on spend? Cause that changes things. If we're going on just spend, my Uber beats out the CSR (4x on dining vs 3x and 3x on travel vs 3x). So with travel washed, and most of my spend being on dining, if I had to choose only one card that gets me the most from just the categories I spend on, I'd go with the Uber. 

I dunno honestly. That's what I was wondering as well.

Message 6 of 8
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

And what makes it even trickier is the point value we assign to rewards. We all have a subjective opinion on how we value points and things like redemptions get even more complicated whether you use them for domestic flights and hotels to intl travel where you obviously get more bang for your buck if you have a pot big enough. For example, points with Marriott if you take the added earnings from the Luxury credit card and the hotel program (depending on tier you're at) and factor in the 5th free night to boot that's a big return on your investment, add getting a room during peak times and a possible upgrade and it can add up. Just too many things to keep track of.

Why discussions like this are pointless really but still fun to have if discussed in a fun way.

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Show both ways, with /without perks. But quantify and show how you came up with a hard number for value of perks (ie anyone can get lounge access directly at $99/yr). I am just curious what the hard math is vs anecdotal thought of the valuation. I think some value perks more than Actual value.

If I add the $100 credit per 2 night hotel stay, which is probably 5x a year, then I'm at extra $500 on my amex gold $3670 net rewards/$50,000 = 7.3% return.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.