Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card for 18 yr old with no credit history

tag
razorsedgenwo
Established Member

Best credit card for 18 yr old with no credit history

What's the easiest credit card for an 18 yr old with no history to get approved for? Thanks!

Message 1 of 18
17 REPLIES 17
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Best credit card for 18 yr old with no credit history

@razorsedgenwo wrote:

What's the easiest credit card for an 18 yr old with no history to get approved for? Thanks!

Cap1, may have to get secured first.

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 18
sdoonan
Contributor

If this person's a student, many CC's have cards specially designed for students. There are usually low credit limits associated with these cards, but that's to be expected. My first card was a Citi Forward with an $800 CL.

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

Scores: TU 667, EQ 651

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 3 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

See if your parents or a family member would add you as an auth user to at least one or two cards with at least of 5 years of history on those cards and once they are reporting on your credit then apply for student cards (assuming you are a student) with Citi and Discover. Also apply for Barclays and Capital One. If you want store cards try Amazon, Target, JC Penney, Walmart, etc

Message 4 of 18
quest208
Frequent Contributor

i think the first card i ever got was an ATT Universal Mastercard.  they had applications all over campus at college.

im pretty sure that was my first, along with discover.  this was centuries ago so times have changed.  but if you are in school, look all over campus for cc apps

+1 on authorized user

TU08 762
NFCU Visa Signature $20,000, Citi Prestige $15,500, USAA Mastercard $11,000, American Express Platinum, Barclays American Express $4700, Best Buy Mastercard $400, Orchard/Capital One $700
Message 5 of 18
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

You could try a store card, like Old Navy, or something similar, even Target, assuming that you have a reasonable income.   They might give you a Toy CL but it would likely grow with you.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 6 of 18
luvsandyshores
Regular Contributor

Do you or your parents belong to a credit union?  My son opened an account specifically aimed at teenagers at my credit union when he was 16, and they have some great programs for when he is ready for his first credit card or loan. 

CH13 confirmed 1/2016
Message 7 of 18
sdoonan
Contributor

@dalebb wrote:

@razorsedgenwo wrote:

selective service card

+1 Smiley Very Happy (I never got a physical card, I just registered for mine and got an email confirmation...I think...)

In all seriousness though, if you go the student card route, there may not be need for a secured card. I didn't need one, but as always, YMMV.

Cards: CitiForward for Students (2K, opened 8/2009), Discover it (2K, opened 7/2010), AMEX BCE (1k, opened 12/2010), Capital One Quicksilver (4.5k, opened 11/2011), Chase Freedom (1.5k, opened 8/2014)

AMEX Platinum (NPSL, AC arrangement, added 12/2011), Citi AAdvantage AMEX (9k, AU, backdated to 9/2008)

Scores: TU 667, EQ 651

In the Garden since 8/8.
Message 8 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

My first credit card was Bank of America's student card. I never carried a balance so I didn't pay much attention to the interest rate but the most important thing to me was the credit line and BOA was extrememly generous with that - $2000 CL with no credit history. After a couple years I asked for a CLI to $4000 but that was denied. They did however hook me up with a Cash Rewards card also $2000 CL for a total available credit of $4000 - keep in mind I had no "real" income at the time!

Despite their not so great customer service and rewards, gotta give credit where credit is due - BOA gave me a great credit line to start building my credit history, none of those toy CLs of $300 or $500 like with Cap One. It's important to have a reasonably good CL to keep your utilization (% of available credit used) low.

Message 9 of 18
aamex
Frequent Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

@razorsedgenwo wrote:

Cap1, may have to get secured first.

-1 I wouldn't recommend CapOne, unless you're rebuilding. Their customer service is awful theres an even consensus of that.

I would recommend trying for student card with a bank or credit union you already have a Savings or Checkings relationship with.

Starting out right is the most important thing, because your first account will always be your oldest so you want to make sure its credit that is mutually beneficially. You're doing the bank a favor by using their credit card and keeping a good relationship by paying on time so in return you should get quality customer service, a reasonable APR, timely credit limit increases, rewards, etc. (Whatever it is that you're looking for).

Added:
Do not apply for more than one card. You're just starting out, so all you need is one. Once you get the hang of managing it, great, let it age. The older an account is the better it is for your score.  I would put 6-18 months between apping again. Only apply for credit you need. 

Wallet: Fidelity Investment Rewards | BOA Travel Rewards | Chase Sapphire Preferred | Discover More
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.