Did you mean: 

Best credit card for international travel

tag
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Best credit card for international travel

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Are you looking for the best way to earn points that can be used toward international travel, or are you looking for the best card to use while traveling?  Depending on your situation, they may not be the same thing.

Truth.

+1 was just going to reply with esentially the same thing.  To pay when you actually do travel, there are a number of great cards but the Chase Sapphire Reserve is certainly a great card to consider (keeping in mind that the usual Chase Trifecta of CSR/Freedom/Freedom Unlimited is not a good plan for international travel since only the CSR in that group has no foreign transaction fees).  I do make decent use of my Amex cards abroad, but acceptance is certainly not on the level that it is in the US.

Depending on the timing of the trip, how you'd like to get there, and where you're staying, you'd come out much further ahead using points and miles to cover that $8k flight than you would by getting points from paying for the $8k flight, so there are a number of premium travel cards, as well as possibly airline and hotel cards, that could help you achieve the flight for free instead.

Message 11 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@K-in-Boston wrote:

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

@MrDisco99 wrote:

Are you looking for the best way to earn points that can be used toward international travel, or are you looking for the best card to use while traveling?  Depending on your situation, they may not be the same thing.

Truth.

+1 was just going to reply with esentially the same thing.  To pay when you actually do travel, there are a number of great cards but the Chase Sapphire Reserve is certainly a great card to consider (keeping in mind that the usual Chase Trifecta of CSR/Freedom/Freedom Unlimited is not a good plan for international travel since only the CSR in that group has no foreign transaction fees).  I do make decent use of my Amex cards abroad, but acceptance is certainly not on the level that it is in the US.

Depending on the timing of the trip, how you'd like to get there, and where you're staying, you'd come out much further ahead using points and miles to cover that $8k flight than you would by getting points from paying for the $8k flight, so there are a number of premium travel cards, as well as possibly airline and hotel cards, that could help you achieve the flight for free instead.

+2

Yeah that's a good deal of cash for a flight! You might want to see if there's some SUBs that can shave that price down if you haven't already got the tickets.

In terms of cards, as everyone else said... depends on the airline you're flying, the hotel you're staying at, and what you're doing while traveling. My Uber Card is used specifically for International Travel. I stuff my face when I travel the world so the majority of charges are going to be food related. If I'm staying at a hotel or resort, it's a 99% chance it's going to be a Marriott resort which means I'm using my Marriott Business Visa Card (or SPG/SPG Biz). Those are pretty much the only two cards I use when overseas since I'm an AMEX guy and the acceptance isn't as high as the US of A. 

It will also depend on how much you travel too! Smiley Happy

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this a one time thing or will be done consistently?
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.