Did you mean: 

Best credit card for propane service

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best credit card for propane service

Hey Fico Fam,

Quick question here,

I buy a lot of propane for my business, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into any credit cards might earn a good rewards rate above 2%. I know there are a few that will earn good rewards for household utilities, I’m just not sure if propane delivery would fall into that category.

Thanks all.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Re: Best credit card for propane service

@Anonymous wrote:
Hey Fico Fam,

Quick question here,

I buy a lot of propane for my business, I was wondering if anyone had any insight into any credit cards might earn a good rewards rate above 2%. I know there are a few that will earn good rewards for household utilities, I’m just not sure if propane delivery would fall into that category.

Thanks all.

It will all depend on how the propane delivery codes with MC/V. 

Like you mention many propane/natural gas companies will trigger the 5% utility category with US Bank's Cash+ Visa, but it would likely be trial-and-error to see if your provider does (or not).

If you're looking for a business card then it's an entirely different conversation (and we'll need to move this thread for you).

Message 2 of 6
dlister70
Frequent Contributor

I sometimes use the Visa lookup tool to figure out what a business should code as so that I can see what card to use.

https://www.visa.com/supplierlocator-app/app/#/home/supplier-locator

The local Amerigas Propane place seems to code as 5999 General Merchandise (Misc Specialty Retail), which wouldn't help you on the Cash+ Utilities category.  Try to plug in whoever your provider is, and see if you get good news.

I've sometimes had something code differently from what the lookup said, so it's more of a "probably" code than a for sure thing, but it's a good place to start and doesn't cost anything to look.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much!!

The company I use is actually coding as Gas Station 🤯 I think I can work with that!!!
Message 4 of 6
zerofire
Valued Contributor

Gas Station? Oh the abuse horror. Ducks Unlimited here we come.

TU:837 09/19/23 Bank of America--EX: 841 09/20/23 Experian--EQ:832 09/21/23 myFICO--Gardening since N/A
Active:
Bank of America (Unlimited Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards WMC, Customized Cash Rewards VSC), Capital One Walmart WMC, Chase(Amazon Prime VSC, Freedom Flex WEMC [x2], Freedom Unlimited VC), Citi Dividend MC, Citizens GreenSense MC, Curve WEMC, Discover It C, FNBO Ducks Unlimited VSC, PenFed (Platinum Rewards VSC, Pathfinder Rewards VSC), Synchrony Bank PayPal Cashback MC, UMB Bank Simply Rewards VC[Milford Federal], US Bank (Altitude Go VSC, Cash+ VSC [x2], Pick n Save/Metro Market WEMC)
Wishlist: AAA Daily Advantage Visa, AOD Signature, Bellco Colorado Rewards, Citi Custom Cash, EBates, Nusenda Platinum Cash Rewards, Ollo Optimum, Redstone Signature, Security Service Power Travel Rewards, Vantage West Connect Rewards
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

That’s a super handy link, thanks for sharing that.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.