Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit card to rent a car with?

tag
severine
Contributor

Best credit card to rent a car with?

I'm renting a car this weekend with Enterprise and was wondering what the best card for renting a car was. Feel free to take a gander at my signature and let mw know!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 1 of 43
42 REPLIES 42
HiLine
Blogger

Re: Best credit card to rent a car with?

Chase Sapphire Preferred covers primary car rental insurance, I believe. If so, you should use that card for sure.

Message 2 of 43
severine
Contributor

Thank you!

Amex PR Gold NPSL | Amex BCP 16.5k| Amex Delta Gold Skymiles 14.9k | Amex BSP 5k | Discover 12.5k | Citi Diamond Preferred 11.9k | Chase Freedom 12k | Chase Sapphire Preferred 12k | US Bank Cash + Visa 13k | BankAmericard Cash Rewards Signature Visa 9.5k | M and T Bank Visa 10.9k | FICO TU 784 EQ 768 EX 784
Message 3 of 43
enharu
Super Contributor

american express covers rental car insurance as well, but CSP gives you 2x travel points, and 3x if you book it through ultimate rewards.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 43
Haroon
New Contributor

Amex covers rental insurance as well, all you need to do is decline the insurance when they rental company offers it to you and put the whole amount in your Amex.
Message 5 of 43
severine
Contributor

Thanks for all the tips!

Message 6 of 43
Epcot
Valued Contributor

I always use my Amex Platinum card when renting. Hope I never have to file a claim!

Starting Score: EQ 717 EX 724 TU 736
Current Score: EQ 849 EX 835 TU 841
Message 7 of 43
bs6054
Valued Contributor

@severine wrote:

I'm renting a car this weekend with Enterprise and was wondering what the best card for renting a car was. Feel free to take a gander at my signature and let mw know!

I assume you didn't select Car Rental as a category on your US Bank Cash Plus?  That gives 5%, if you book directly with the rental company and not through a travel website such as Expedia.

Message 8 of 43
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

I believe csp is secondary, not primary. only cards with primary that I know of are amex cards if you pay an extra fee and chase united cards. I use the mileage explorer for all rentals for this reason.
In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 9 of 43
HiLine
Blogger

I know that the Discover Escape offers primary as well. Can someone confirm for CSP?

Message 10 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.