cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best credit limit-Usaa or NFCU??

tag
megtes

Best credit limit-Usaa or NFCU??

I only have 2 cards right now and was looking to add a 3rd. I currently have a cap1 quicksilver card w/3k limit that I've had for 11.5yr and a NFCU go rewards card w/$12,700 limit that I've had for 7.5yrs. I don't leave any balances on my cards and pay them off monthly.

My credit scores are:

TU 824

EQ822

EX 804

My husbands scores are only a couple points lower than mine, he would be on the card too probably. 

I am mainly wanting to drastically increase available limit so that when we utilize our Heloc for our next house project, my credit doesn't decrease nearly 30 points. So I am wondering which lender is most generous with initial limits.

bonus q: is Capital one stingy with CLI? They used to increase mine automatically, but they haven't done that in years. So I was thinking of also requesting that. 

thank you in advance for your help!!

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best credit limit-Usaa or NFCU??

@megtes wrote:

I only have 2 cards right now and was looking to add a 3rd. I currently have a cap1 quicksilver card w/3k balance that I've had for 11.5yr and a NFCU go rewards card w/$12,700 limit that I've had for 7.5yrs. 

They both can be generous depending on your profile.  I'd venture to guess (all things considered) with the limited information you've provided, it's likely NFCU might be more generous.  Just speculating 🤷

On the bolded piece, did you mean "credit limit" or is that the presently owed balance on the card?  And, yes, Capital One is not as generous these days with CLIs.

Message 2 of 17
megtes

Sorry, I meant that was my limit, not balance. I edited my original post. Thank you for your response!!

Message 3 of 17
chaos51
Regular Contributor

@megtes wrote:

I only have 2 cards right now and was looking to add a 3rd. I currently have a cap1 quicksilver card w/3k limit that I've had for 11.5yr and a NFCU go rewards card w/$12,700 limit that I've had for 7.5yrs. I don't leave any balances on my cards and pay them off monthly.

My credit scores are:

TU 824

EQ822

EX 804

My husbands scores are only a couple points lower than mine, he would be on the card too probably. 

I am mainly wanting to drastically increase available limit so that when we utilize our Heloc for our next house project, my credit doesn't decrease nearly 30 points. So I am wondering which lender is most generous with initial limits.

bonus q: is Capital one stingy with CLI? They used to increase mine automatically, but they haven't done that in years. So I was thinking of also requesting that. 

thank you in advance for your help!!

I had scores that were around low 700s if I remember correctly when getting in with PenFed and NFCU and relatively low debt to income. My SL with PenFed was $5,000 and my SL with NFCU was $11,600. Now I'm at $50,000 with PenFed and $70,000 with NFCU (both with one card each).

Total Revolving Credit Limit: $306,900
Pay Over Time Limit: $85,000
Fico 8 Scores: Ex: 751, TU 751, EQ 741
Message 4 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@megtes wrote:

Depending on the limit of your HELOC, this may not be a concern at all as they're typically excluded from revolving credit calculations.  I took a massive draw and there were no ill effects for my FICO scores.  (Vantage scores are another story as those of us with very high FICO scores often see severe penalties there for minor things.)

Message 5 of 17
megtes

Thank you for the info! They are vantage scores, I didn't know the heloc didn't report as revolving credit with Fico, so good to know! I haven't checked our fico scores for a while, but when we got our heloc last year the credit score we received from the bank said 850 for both of us, which is much higher than our vantage scores. 

Message 6 of 17
Aim_High
Super Contributor

Welcome to My Fico forums @megtes, at least out of the shadows as I see you've been a member since 9/28/2010 but just made your first posting!  Smiley Happy

Navy FCU:  Since you already have one Navy FCU credit card that's over seven years old, I think they'd be quite generous with a second card based on data points on My Fico.  Many members with much shorter Navy relationship get very high relative limits on card number 2.

USAA:  With your scores, I would think USAA would be pretty generous also.  Unlike Navy FCU, they don't typically put training wheels on you for card number one, so the first card and a second would likely get comparable results from what I've seen. 

Capital One is very very stingy with CLI.  But their limits will grow.  I product-changed an older Platinum Visa card with them into a Quicksilver when they began offering it.  I very slowly grew it from $1K to $25K, mostly about $3K at at time, once every six months.  They like to see pretty regular usage of the existing limit for a few months before approving a CLI. 

More Capital One data points at this posting for you:

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Card-Approvals/Woo-Hoo-Reached-my-Capital-1-QS-CLI-Goal/m-p/...

Business Cards

Length of Credit > 40 years; Total Credit Limits >$850K
Top Lender TCL - Chase 156.4 - BofA 99.7 - AMEX 95.0 - CITI 94.5 - NFCU 80.0
AoOA > 30 years (Jun 1993); AoYA (Aug 2023)
* Hover cursor over cards to see name & CL, or press & hold on mobile app.
Message 7 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I think the credit limit from from Navy can be better than USAA's credit limit because Navy's credit limit is seaworthy whereas USAA's not so much😁

Message 8 of 17
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@megtes wrote:

Thank you for the info! They are vantage scores, I didn't know the heloc didn't report as revolving credit with Fico, so good to know! I haven't checked our fico scores for a while, but when we got our heloc last year the credit score we received from the bank said 850 for both of us, which is much higher than our vantage scores. 

No problem.  They do still show on reports as revolving, but for scoring purposes larger ones are generally ignored.  Any changes to Vantage scoring doesn't matter for most real life purposes.

Message 9 of 17
megtes

Thank you so much for alll of the info! After my ex financially ruined me and I DC'd from ch7 Bk 12yrs ago, I've had major credit anxiety and just used cash and kinda left my credit alone for the most part. Since then I've always been afraid of applying for anything, but now that I've been part of the 800 club for a while now, I feel like I should spread my wings a little lol. 

I truly appreciate your time and info!! I may start with NFCU for a new card, then try either getting one from usaa or attempting a cap1 once I feel brave again. 

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.