Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best for Gas purchases

tag
UpperNwGuy
Valued Contributor

Re: Best for Gas purchases

I live in the city and rarely use my car, so my annual gas expenses are about $300.  With my 2% flat rate card, I earn $6 cash back.  If I had a 5% gas card, I would earn $15 cash back.  The $9 difference isn't worth it for me, so I just use my PenFed Power Cash Rewards card for gas.

Daily Carry: PenFed Power Cash • NFCU Flagship • NFCU More Rewards • Chase Freedom
Sock Drawer: PenFed Promise • NFCU cashRewards • Chase Sapphire Preferred • Chase Freedom Unlimited • United Explorer • UNFCU Azure
Message 21 of 38
scarfa21
Frequent Contributor

Yeah thats what im going to use, just got approved for that card.

@UpperNwGuy wrote:

I live in the city and rarely use my car, so my annual gas expenses are about $300.  With my 2% flat rate card, I earn $6 cash back.  If I had a 5% gas card, I would earn $15 cash back.  The $9 difference isn't worth it for me, so I just use my PenFed Power Cash Rewards card for gas.

Message 22 of 38
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Gregory1776 wrote:

I'm not sure it's worth using a Credit card for gas. .10 extra a.gallon would cancel out any rewards, no?? 🤔🤔🤔

Where I buy gas the credit price is the same as the cash price, so using a card that earns 5% back for fuel is a no-brainer.  Smiley Happy

Message 23 of 38
Gregory1776
Valued Contributor

@UncleB wrote:

@Gregory1776 wrote:

I'm not sure it's worth using a Credit card for gas. .10 extra a.gallon would cancel out any rewards, no?? 🤔🤔🤔

Where I buy gas the credit price is the same as the cash price, so using a card that earns 5% back for fuel is a no-brainer.  Smiley Happy

If thats the case, yup, no brainer. However i have a gas station near me where its 5-10 cents more than stations around me. Make sure you check that too! Gas Buddy is amazing. 😜😊😉

Message 24 of 38
happypill
Valued Contributor

@Gregory1776 wrote:

Ok, so let's see if we can work through the complicated math here.  Around me, gas is about $3 per gallon.  That means if I use a 5% gas card, I get 15 cents per gallon in rewards.  In your scenario, paying cash would be .10 less.

So the real bottom line all-in end-of-story question is, "Is 15 cents more than 10 cents?"  I'll leave you to figure that one out on your own.

The optimal strategy for gas would be to find the lowest gas prices available without driving out of your way, and if if the cash discount is less than .15/gallon, a 5% card would make more sense than paying cash.

Message 25 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Murphy through their card is offering 15 cent promo, its usually 5 cents.  Also in my area several of the regional chains offer a frequent gas buyer  promo  linked to your debit card good for 5 to 10 cents off.  

Message 26 of 38
creditfan
Established Contributor

if you can buy gas gift card for the particular brand with the discount price and from my understading giftcard = cash price. What a nice couple

where I live there are so many exxonmobile, so I just go to ebay and grab some with 8% discount. Although I do have 5% CB card, I just use it as a backup whenever my giftcard all runing out

Message 27 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

Here in California gas price is high, most of the times $3 and up per gallon, I spend around 300/month on gas, so any card with 5% back on gas is worth it to me
Message 28 of 38
Anonymous
Not applicable

@creditfan wrote:

if you can buy gas gift card for the particular brand with the discount price and from my understading giftcard = cash price. What a nice couple

where I live there are so many exxonmobile, so I just go to ebay and grab some with 8% discount. Although I do have 5% CB card, I just use it as a backup whenever my giftcard all runing out

I have a friend who buys Sunoco gift cards when they see them on ebay: $100 card for $93. They get 2% back on the $93 and then the cash price on the gas.

Message 29 of 38
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

I use the BA 3/2/1 Cash Reward card, with 1.75X, it is a 5.25% gas reward card all year around.  It is a $0.12/gl discount.  Better than any cash discount you can get.  Also, I shop at Wawa, where there is no difference cash or credit.

Message 30 of 38
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.