Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best for cash back?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best for cash back?

I was looking for a good home improvement cashback card and came across this site: http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-cashback/best-cash-back-credit-cards-for-every-category2227....  I thought of this thread, so I'm placing it here, in case anyone would like to check it out.  It doesn't include some like BoA or Marvel, which are similar/better, I believe, for some of the categories, and it mentions, but then later forgets to include in the list the Sams MC, but it does seem, at least, to be a good starting point for anyone who's interested in starting a gameplan for their own wallets.  

Message 41 of 51
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I was looking for a good home improvement cashback card and came across this site: http://www.magnifymoney.com/blog/earning-cashback/best-cash-back-credit-cards-for-every-category222723218.  I thought of this thread, so I'm placing it here, in case anyone would like to check it out.  It doesn't include some like BoA or Marvel, which are similar/better, I believe, for some of the categories, and it mentions, but then later forgets to include in the list the Sams MC, but it does seem, at least, to be a good starting point for anyone who's interested in starting a gameplan for their own wallets.  

I agree it's a good starting place, but I'm sure we will all have some quibbles!

For me:

No mention of Amex OBC which would be good for gas, groceries and drug stores.    (They also don't mention Citi Dividend which had drug stores as a rotating category, but as that card isn't available to new apps, that's understandable)

Also under groceries: they list Amex EDP as giving 2.7% up to $6K.   I guess this is because the list is cash back, and 4.5MR used as statement credit would come to 2.7c.   But if you didn't know more, you would wonder why anyway would pay $95 AF for a card that gives 2.7%, when the Amex BCE gives 3% and is free.   The answer of course is you shouldn't use MR as statement credit!

Message 42 of 51
MrDisco99
Valued Contributor

You keep mentioning Amex OBC.  I'm assuming you mean the "old" Blue Cash card?  I'm fairly certain that one is not available for new apps either.

Message 43 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I haven't apped for it, but I get the impression that it's still available after reading https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/blue-cash/ and https://www.uscreditcardguide.com/old-blue-cash-obc-credit-card/.

Message 44 of 51
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@MrDisco99 wrote:

You keep mentioning Amex OBC.  I'm assuming you mean the "old" Blue Cash card?  I'm fairly certain that one is not available for new apps either.

Yes, the old Blue Cash card.   

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/credit-cards/card/blue-cash/25330   (might need to use icognito mode depending on cookies)   

Message 45 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ugh! That's WAY better for me than the BCE card... Do you think Amex would do a product change?
Message 46 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can't find the edit button on mobile... Just realized 5% doesn't start til 1000 dollars spent... I'm pretty much just using this one for gas... So that doesn't help any
Message 47 of 51
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Can't find the edit button on mobile... Just realized 5% doesn't start til 1000 dollars spent... I'm pretty much just using this one for gas... So that doesn't help any

You'll have to switch to "Full" (it's at the bottom of the screen on mobile).  From there you'll see 'Options' on your post's upper-right corner, in that drop-down 'Edit' should be available. Smiley Wink

Message 48 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

i just learned that the no fee chase business ink cash (with $300 bonus that we could qualify for)  will give 5% cashback on cell, landline, internet, and tv, and godaddy ... plus office supply stores, which we don't really use.  It's maxed at 25k/yr, but since we stay within that for these categories, I think this would make more sense for us than the others mentioned here so far.

usbank cash+ still seems like a possibility, but only if i can get our gym memberships to code through (the only one i'm not sure about is ymca - anyone know?).  Aside from that, with the ink cash, I'm not sure how else we'd use it, since we'd already be at 5% in the other categories (or more if using a gc).  

The marvel card is still a definite bc even though we get 10%+ with disney, marvel would cover us at the other parks (universal, seaworld, legoland ...).  Anyone know if ticketmaster is included? I'm assuming the live shows/plays are.  I know redbox would be, so that's a mini plus, and we can do 10%+ for netflix and movie theaters w/gc, too, so that's already covered.

Message 49 of 51
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't pay for cable TV and my internet is only 50/mo... But 5% of 50 is more than 1.5% of 50...The rest of the categories are on the Amex business for the same 5%... The Amex business is like a hybrid credit/charge card. They'll let you go over your limit based on your spending patterns if you need to make a large purchase and PIF what goes over.

But, mostly, I just didn't sign up for the chase because they didn't pre qualify me for consumer card. I might have been approved, but Amex pre qualified me and approved me for consumer card... Probably would have gotten the chase too, but I felt it was closer to a sure thing, and I knew I already had several HPs, wanted to make it worth it

Message 50 of 51
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.