Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best gas card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best gas card?

What are some of the best gas cards or cards whether it be rewards, discounts or cash back etc. for gas purchases? I drive approx. 3000 miles a month (mostly city driving) for a side job and need to capitalize on some rewards. Appreciate all and any feedback. Thanks.

Message 1 of 28
27 REPLIES 27
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best gas card?

If you are a member of Costco, their Visa gets you 4% on any gas (excluding places like supermarkets and convenience stores' gas), including Costco. AMC BCP gets you 3%, but there is a $95 annual fee. Discover and Chase Freedom both give 5% at least once a year on rotating categories ( I am not a big fan of rotating categories myself). There are oil company-branded credit cards with Mastercard or Visa networks, but they are not really great unless you are loyal to one brand, and even then, they are not as good as the major cards mentioned above. I think that the military has some good cards, including at least one 5% card. I am not a veteran, so I don't know which one it is.

Shop around !!Smiley Very Happy

Message 2 of 28
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

What are some of the best gas cards or cards whether it be rewards, discounts or cash back etc. for gas purchases? I drive approx. 3000 miles a month (mostly city driving) for a side job and need to capitalize on some rewards. Appreciate all and any feedback. Thanks.

I use a Conoco Gas card which gives me 5 cents back a gallon after 45 gallons a month which is good at all Philips 66/Conoco/Union 76 stations. Philips 66/Conoco/Union 76 also has the Kickback program which gives a 3 cents off a gallon upfront and points towards future gas or convenience store purchases. Shell as a similar program, however, there are few Shell stations where I live or drive. I would be curious as to what others use.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 3 of 28
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Fort Knox FCU has a card which gives a 5% discount on all at the pump purchase (automatic credit on statement).  I think there are now real geo restrictions on membership now though.

Penfed used to have a similar one but that's no longer offered.   They do have the Platinum Rewards, which gives 5 points per $, which is equivalent to about a 4.2% discount

Message 4 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I use AMEX BCP for 3%. No categories, no fuss.

Wife uses Costco Visa for 4%.

We are retired and don't drive that much anymore.

Message 5 of 28
simplynoir
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I use the Sam's Club credit card for gas purchases. Get 5% and something I've grown to appreciate is the rewards are given out yearly every February so always nice to see a lump sum check from them every year.

Message 6 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't know how it hasn't been said yet, but the Ducks Unlimited card is very popular for 5% back on gas. There's also the NRA card, but most people would do the Ducks because there is little political affiliation in raising money to save ducks 😊

Can't really beat 5% cash back on Gas + Sporting good stores, 1% everything else, no annual fee, and saving wetlands with every swipe. Though the bank hosting it could be one of the bigger guys, I don't know how initial CLs and CLIs go with the card.

Edit: Looks like the First National Bank of Omaha, the bank who hosts both the Ducks and NRA card, didn't renew the contract for the NRA card. It might be dead. But the Ducks is still there Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

Chase Freedom is 5% right now.. I meant this quarter.

Message 8 of 28
jl4
Established Contributor

For gas we pretty much just use the Costco Visa. 4% at most pumps (costco or otherwise), 1% everywhere else.

Edit: the 4% cashback applies to all transactions classified as "fuel". It doesn't have to be at a Costco exclusively to get the discount. 

EQ8: 779 (Inq: 1) | TU8: 771 (Inq: 0) | EX8: 763 (Inq: 4)
Total Rev: $182,500
Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
Not applicable

For me, I have three that give 5% cash back and have no AF...USAA Amex, Freedom (rotating quarterly), Discover It (rotating quarterly).  Between those three I'm covered so far the Freedom and Discover quarters for 5% haven't fallen on the same quarter.  

Message 10 of 28
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.