cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best gas-only card for US national travel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best gas-only card for US national travel?

Call me paranoid, but I'm leaning toward using only gas cards to purchase gas, to limit my exposure to skimmers. Pretty sure one of my card thefts was the result of getting gas in NJ on a VISA. At least if they get a gas-only card on a skimmer, they can't charge hundreds at Target, etc. on it.

I use my Wawa card locally and regionally, where available, for gas, 5c back per gallon.  I recently was approved for a Sheetz card, which is also pretty strictly regional. There's also cash savings there, but it turns out it'll be a VISA, so that doesn't help my security issue.

I'm also aware of the viability of using my Walmart card for gas where Walmart gas is available, and I have another card with enhanced rewards on warehouse stores, so Costco gas is another option since I'm a member there.

What do you folks recommend as the best nationally-available gas card, preferably one with real rewards?  Not interested in free coffee.  For longer trips, I'd really like to be able to scope out specific stations and accumulate rewards. Any gems hiding out there?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

Re: Best gas-only card for US national travel?

@Anonymous wrote:

Call me paranoid, but I'm leaning toward using only gas cards to purchase gas, to limit my exposure to skimmers. Pretty sure one of my card thefts was the result of getting gas in NJ on a VISA. At least if they get a gas-only card on a skimmer, they can't charge hundreds at Target, etc. on it.

I use my Wawa card locally and regionally, where available, for gas, 5c back per gallon.  I recently was approved for a Sheetz card, which is also pretty strictly regional. There's also cash savings there, but it turns out it'll be a VISA, so that doesn't help my security issue.

I'm also aware of the viability of using my Walmart card for gas where Walmart gas is available, and I have another card with enhanced rewards on warehouse stores, so Costco gas is another option since I'm a member there.

What do you folks recommend as the best nationally-available gas card, preferably one with real rewards?  Not interested in free coffee.  For longer trips, I'd really like to be able to scope out specific stations and accumulate rewards. Any gems hiding out there?

Thanks in advance.

Personally, I like the Shell card. Coupled with my FRN card, I save a minimum of 8 cents per gallon, and never pay extra for credit anywhere! In terms of just sheer amounts of retail outlets, Shell is also the leader... (Shell card is a flat 5 cents per gallon statement credit, FRN card is 3 cents per gallon off on a bad day... lately it's been a minimum of 5 cents here in Florida..)

The Walmart card is almost useless for gas now, since they nerfed the rewards a little while ago... 

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as gas stays below $3 most of your x number of cents back cards will be best, however if it does go over $3 again there are several 3% cash back at gas pump cards that will be more valuable.

I had a shell card mostly for the ability to always have gas as a young adult rather then the rewards and I personally think shell and exxon do a decent job keeping up with their fuel quality at the pump, vs walmart and other cheaper gas companies have been known to have water in and or other issues with their gas. 

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have a rewards card with the major gas stores, like Shell, BP, Kroger, Speedway etc. to get anywhere between $0.03-$0.10 per gallon, then I always use the Sam's Club credit card to 5% back.  When Discover and Freedom offer 5% on gas I switch to them.  You have to maintain a membership with Sam's Club to get the card though.  I wish the Sallie Mae mastercard was still available. 

Message 4 of 16
Ghoshida
Valued Contributor

Not really a gas card but this may work for you OP: Buy Shell GC at the grocery store with your rewards giving credit card. I use my Sallie Mae to do this and am also a fuel rewards member. Granted I do it to max out grocery spend and get extra grocery store points, but it restricts fraud chances even tighter.

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I used to do the same thing at Speedway.  I would go in and buy Speedway giftcards because they would load up your Speedway points with each purchase, then I would just simply buy the gas with the prepaid cards.  Used to get a free tank each quarter.  Unfortunately I don't live in a Speedway state anymore though. 

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think you would be best with Shell and Exxon/Mobile. These are the two largest gas companies and stations. Another back up is if you have a low CL major credit card. I have a BoA Cash Back with a $400 limit. It was secured and I asked them to unsecure it early, but they won't give me an increase. I use this card at Costco for gas only. If I were out of my home region I'd use it for gas. If BoA ever raises the CL, I'll need a different card for gas only. I'm leary about gas pump card readers now so I only use oil company only cards or the BoA. If I get skimmed, minimal damage to worry about. My thoughts anyways.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a rewards card with the major gas stores, like Shell, BP, Kroger, Speedway etc. to get anywhere between $0.03-$0.10 per gallon, then I always use the Sam's Club credit card to 5% back.  When Discover and Freedom offer 5% on gas I switch to them.  You have to maintain a membership with Sam's Club to get the card though.  I wish the Sallie Mae mastercard was still available. 

Yeah, the Sam's card is a funny one. It's pretty nice gas card, solid dining card, but terrible for actually buying things at Sam's. It's probably a smart approach though. Tons of people get it without really comparing and for the convenience of using it as the membership card, and just go on and use it at Sam's without comparing it too much with other cards. In fact, that's exactly what I would've done, except they denied me (then I eventually got 4 cards that were all better for Sam's purchases).

It looks like a fantastic gas-only card, but I assume they bank on people not using it that way.

Message 8 of 16
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

PapasChileHuevos wrote:

graath wrote:

Yeah, the Sam's card is a funny one. It's pretty nice gas card, solid dining card, but terrible for actually buying things at Sam's. It's probably a smart approach though. Tons of people get it without really comparing and for the convenience of using it as the membership card, and just go on and use it at Sam's without comparing it too much with other cards. In fact, that's exactly what I would've done, except they denied me (then I eventually got 4 cards that were all better for Sam's purchases).

It looks like a fantastic gas-only card, but I assume they bank on people not using it that way.

Just a reminder, it's NOT a gas-only card. It's a MASTERCARD.

OP stated that he is paranoid of skimmers, and was looking for a cards that could be used at gas stations only...

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 9 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@fltireguy wrote:

Just a reminder, it's NOT a gas-only card. It's a MASTERCARD.

OP stated that he is paranoid of skimmers, and was looking for a cards that could be used at gas stations only...

Right.   There are some cards that are great rewards wise only for gas, such as the Penfed Cash Rewards, which, financially, should only be used at the pump.   But nothing prevents a skimmer taking the info and using it anywhere.

But my advice to OP is try to overcome the paranoia!   A solution here wouldn't protect other uses of the cc, and while they may not skim so much, many other attacks are possible.   You aren't responsible for fraud, although you are paying higher prices anyway because of it, so try to maximize rewards and just deal with fraud if and when it happens.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.