cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best gas-only card for US national travel?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best gas-only card for US national travel?

There are a lot of great suggestions here, and I appreciate all of the responses.  As for the last one, "overcome the paranoia," sorry, just can't do that.  First, I'm in information security as a career.  Overcoming the paranoia simply isn't an option.  The Prime Directive is to minimize risk and exposure. Second, I've had card data stolen three times. Yes, it's covered, but it's a hassle every time.

Some of the suggestions have led me down thought trails which I don't think have been spelled out directly, but are similar to those suggested...

What about SpeedPass for Exxon/Mobil, linked to whatever reward offering is best at the moment, such as Discover when it's at 5% for gas, or any other 2% card at any other time?  SpeedPass links to Plenti, and I'm not yet familiar with the rewards breakdown for Plenti, but if I'm getting rewarded both from Plenti -and- from whatever gas-based rewards happen on the linked credit card, that's win-win, right?  And it keeps me from having to swipe a VISA card at the pump, and also saves me the INQ from applying for a gas-company-specific card, since I already have a quite usable and varied card profile.  Any of you have experience with SpeedPass/Plenti?

Are there similar plans for other gas companies that link a card and avoid a card swipe at the pump?

Message 11 of 16
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There are a lot of great suggestions here, and I appreciate all of the responses.  As for the last one, "overcome the paranoia," sorry, just can't do that.  First, I'm in information security as a career.  Overcoming the paranoia simply isn't an option.  The Prime Directive is to minimize risk and exposure. Second, I've had card data stolen three times. Yes, it's covered, but it's a hassle every time.

Some of the suggestions have led me down thought trails which I don't think have been spelled out directly, but are similar to those suggested...

What about SpeedPass for Exxon/Mobil, linked to whatever reward offering is best at the moment, such as Discover when it's at 5% for gas, or any other 2% card at any other time?  SpeedPass links to Plenti, and I'm not yet familiar with the rewards breakdown for Plenti, but if I'm getting rewarded both from Plenti -and- from whatever gas-based rewards happen on the linked credit card, that's win-win, right?  And it keeps me from having to swipe a VISA card at the pump, and also saves me the INQ from applying for a gas-company-specific card, since I already have a quite usable and varied card profile.  Any of you have experience with SpeedPass/Plenti?

Are there similar plans for other gas companies that link a card and avoid a card swipe at the pump?

And speedpass now can be linked to ApplePay, which may provide additional security.   

Re my overcome comment:   what about all your other uses of credit cards?   If I had that issue, I would probably buy discounted gift cards for almost all purchases where I didn't need credit card protection, minimizing my cc exposuire to just a handful of gift card exchanges.   But can be a hassle!     (Or use them where you can't use Apple/Samsung pay etc, if you trust those)

Message 12 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, obviously I can't eliminate ALL risk. But all evidence I've seen points to gas pumps being a high vulnerability and frequently exploited target for skimmers, so I'm avoiding one high vulnerability high usage risk point.

Some of the newer skimmers are really advanced.  From the tiny inserts that are virtually undetectable, to the inline skimmers that are installed inside the box and even more undetectable.

The other high vulnerability target is ATMs in vulnerable areas.  My profile doesn't involve much ATM usage these days, but if it did I would avoid unprotected ATMs or those in sketchy areas.

Message 13 of 16
fltireguy
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Speedpass is wonderful,  the only downfall that I see with it is a LOT of locations are not set up for it. Even better is ExxonMobil's mobile app, which can be used at participating locations for payment as well..  , but, again, those locations are very limited too.

IF I was going to travel extensively, I would probably just have a Shell, and an Exxonmobil card.... if I didnt want to use MC/Visa, etc..

NFCU $60.4k/PenFed $22.5k/Commerce $15K/53 $11K/Synovus $14K/BBT $11K/CapOne $12K/DCU $7.5K/BMO $7.5K/Chase $14.5k/Cabelas $10K/ and many many more!
Total CL $398600, plus car and RV loan.
Ooh. Ooh. Getting closer to that $500K mark!
Message 14 of 16
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, obviously I can't eliminate ALL risk. But all evidence I've seen points to gas pumps being a high vulnerability and frequently exploited target for skimmers, so I'm avoiding one high vulnerability high usage risk point.

Some of the newer skimmers are really advanced.  From the tiny inserts that are virtually undetectable, to the inline skimmers that are installed inside the box and even more undetectable.

The other high vulnerability target is ATMs in vulnerable areas.  My profile doesn't involve much ATM usage these days, but if it did I would avoid unprotected ATMs or those in sketchy areas.

I think you're on the right track with this. The only instance of credit card fraud I can remember came shortly after I'd used one of my lesser used cards at a certain gas station I hadn't frequented before.

I have never considered getting a gas card, because I have basically sworn off "store cards", but you've got me rethinking that.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

You're not on the hook for fraud, so I wouldn't be too worried.  I used a gas station with a skimmer once.  BoA (back when I knew nothing and only had one card) notified me the next day that unauthorized purchases were attempted and they went ahead and removed them from my card, closed it, and overnighted me a new card.  Don't worry too much about fraudulent activity.  Banks are insured against it, it's between them and the police to figure it out. 

Side note, this is exactly why I don't use debit anymore.

Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.