Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best home improvement/furniture cards

tag
icyhot
Valued Contributor

Best home improvement/furniture cards

I'm buying a house soon and should close in January, the house needs some updating so I wanted to get a home improvement card and furniture store card after closing. I burned Citi in BK so I'm not sure if the Home Depot card is within reach, however I have a Syncrony and Comenity card already so I was eyeing Lowes and Wayfair. Are there any other store cards I could consider? The special financing offers are most important 

Ch 7 BK discharged 12/2018
Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K
Store Cards: Bergdorf Goodman $10.5K | Neiman Marcus $7.5K | Care Credit $7K |
Scores: EX 656 | EQ 667 | TU 680

Goal Card: Amex Platinum (Amex IIB, waiting for 5 year mark)
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
snapcat
Valued Member

Re: Best home improvement/furniture cards

Citi services the Wayfair CC, so you may want to look at Overstock from Comenity. I've found Overstock quite good with SL & CLI. And I've used them for quite a bit of non-furniture items like crown molding. I'm partial to the West Elm CC for furniture. It was Comenity but is now Cap1. Same for Pottery Barn. There will be plenty of people to sing the praises of the Lowe's card. 

Good luck!

Message 2 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

After closing, you may apply for a few cards with a high SUB like CSP.

If you want long term cards for a general home improvement category, you may consider BOA CCR and set its monthly reward program to the home improvement category (3%*1.75=5.25%, cap~2.5k per quarter).

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 3 of 12
4sallypat
Valued Contributor

I'm closing on my house next week after 6 months of exhaustive searches/offers.

As soon as the loan funds and escrow closes, I am apping for:

• Floor & Decor (need new laminate flooring) - deciding on whether to app 2 single accounts or joint account.
  • Applicance Connection (need new dishwasher & over the range microwave) - preapproved letter by Comenity using SCT
  • Lowes (need new home security, new biometric door locks, dog door, HEPA filters, etc) - scared of poking the SYNC bear due to many accounts.
  • Home Depot (long extendible ladder to reach 3rd floor & tools)
  • FNBO Evergreen (everything else 2%).

Message 4 of 12
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@snapcat wrote:

Citi services the Wayfair CC, so you may want to look at Overstock from Comenity. I've found Overstock quite good with SL & CLI. And I've used them for quite a bit of non-furniture items like crown molding. I'm partial to the West Elm CC for furniture. It was Comenity but is now Cap1. Same for Pottery Barn. There will be plenty of people to sing the praises of the Lowe's card. 

Good luck!

I thought Wayfair was Comenity also? That's what the site says 

Bank Cards: NFCU Flagship Rewards $25K | NFCU Cash Rewards $20K |NFCU More Rewards Amex $17K | PenFed Power Cash $12.5K | PenFed Platinum Rewards $12.5K | PenFed Pathfinder Rewards $10K | PenFed Gold Card $7.5K | PayPal Cashback Mastercard $5K | Apple Card $3.5K

Message 5 of 12
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@xenon3030 wrote:

If you want long term cards for a general home improvement category, you may consider BOA CCR and set its monthly reward program to the home improvement category (3%*1.75=5.25%, cap~2.5k per quarter).

I burned a lot of those banks in BK, Citi, Amex, Chase, Discover and Cap One. Its also important that I'm able to get 0% financing 

Message 6 of 12
xenon3030
Valued Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@xenon3030 wrote:

I burned a lot of those banks in BK, Citi, Amex, Chase, Discover and Cap One. Its also important that I'm able to get 0% financing 

If you want a simple 0% APR, you may contact your current credit card customer services and ask them whether there are some offers for you, due to purchasing a new home. I contacted Discover via chat and I got 0% APR for one year. I think, at the end of the year, they may have several offers and it should be a good timing to examine your chance.

The issue with applying for CC after a recent home purchase is collecting lots of mortgate related HPs. Some lenders cannot (or do not want!) distinguish between mortgate HPs and CC HPs. Therefore, be quite conservative if you want to apply for some CCs right after closing. For example, after I closed, I applied for CSP and I got approved. I got rejected for Costco Citi. After fulfilling CSP SUB, I applied for USBank Connect and I approved. After fulfilling its SUB, I may apply for 1 or 2 more cards with good SUB or high cashback.

Fico8: EX~EQ~TU~810 (12 month goal~840).
BOA (CCR, UCR), Chase (CFF, CSP, Amazon, CIC, CIU), US Bank (Cash+, AR, Go, Ralphs), Discover, Citi (CCC, DC, SYW), Amex (BCP, HH, Biz Gold, BBC, BBP), Affinity CR, Cap1(Walmart), Barclay View.
Message 7 of 12
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@icyhot wrote:

@snapcat wrote:

Good luck!

Wayfair Credit Card & Wayfair Mastercard is issued by Citibank, N.A.. Citi and Arc Design is a registered service mark of Citigroup Inc. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.

From https://www.wayfair.com/wayfaircard

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 12
icyhot
Valued Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

@icyhot wrote:

@snapcat wrote:

Good luck!

Wayfair Credit Card & Wayfair Mastercard is issued by Citibank, N.A.. Citi and Arc Design is a registered service mark of Citigroup Inc. Mastercard is a registered trademark, and the circles design is a trademark of Mastercard International Incorporated.

From https://www.wayfair.com/wayfaircard

That sucks Smiley Sad I'll try for Lowes and see what other furniture cards are out there 

Message 9 of 12
GApeachy
Super Contributor

Lowe's sells furniture too. Not a huge line but.....

What's nice is you can finance "multiple" times or get the 5% discount.  

Just always pay off each and every promotional plan before the deadline or you'll pay interest from the get-go for each plan you go over the agreed timeframe. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.