Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best next card?

tag
jimmy2000
New Contributor

Best next card?

Hi all,

One of my friends has come to me and asked which credit card he should get to be his second (and I can post this).

He has 2 years of history on a single credit card with a $1200 limit, recently raised to $3000.

I though of a few options:

- Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi

- BofA Travel Rewards

- Capital One Savor One

- Amex Blue Cash EveryDay

He wants to be best set for a future home purchase.  Scores between 740-750.

Any suggestions for him?

His FICO scores are between 740-750.  Recommendations?

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Best next card?

Those are all good choices, and they should all be obtainable with his history. He's likely to be in good shape for most cards as long as the minimum credit limit isn't out of reach at this point. When does he want to buy a house?

Message 2 of 11
jimmy2000
New Contributor

3-4 years from now.

Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

How can anyone possibly recommend a CC to someone when they have no idea what that person spends their money on?

Message 4 of 11
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

What is the card he currently has? Is he interested in cash back or points for travel?

Message 5 of 11
jimmy2000
New Contributor

I don't know exactly but from US Bank.

Also doesn't know if interested in travel or cash back.

Message 6 of 11
issac2x
Frequent Contributor

Then I'd recommend a simple 2% card like the Citi DC for general spend.

Message 7 of 11
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@jimmy2000 wrote:

Hi all,

One of my friends has come to me and asked which credit card he should get to be his second (and I can post this).

He has 2 years of history on a single credit card with a $1200 limit, recently raised to $3000.

I though of a few options:

- Costco Anywhere Visa by Citi

- BofA Travel Rewards

- Capital One Savor One

- Amex Blue Cash EveryDay

He wants to be best set for a future home purchase.  Scores between 740-750.

Any suggestions for him?

His FICO scores are between 740-750.  Recommendations?

I would need to know

-what kind of card he presently has

-what he would be looking for in a card

-what he would want to use the card for in terms of spend

Maybe he doesn't want to use the card at all, just wants to have a second card for building his credit file. In that case I would go to a nice credit union, and get a platinum, low interest, non-rewards, no-balance-transfer-fee, no-cash-advance-fee, card. Having a relationship with a credit union will be helpful because they usually have the best mortgage rates.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 687

Message 8 of 11
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

This question will always get a million different answers. No one credit card serves everybody's needs. As implied above, find out what friend spends on or what they are looking for in a cc. I could easily say Credit One Nascar Visa as its the fastest charging card on the marketSmiley Wink
Message 9 of 11
KLEXH25
Valued Contributor

Although I agree there are just too many variables to recommend a card specifically for your friend, I can vouch for the cards I do have, which I like very much. Discover is certainly a great card to start with, and with such a thin file, they’ll likely start him with a decently high starting limit. Citi Costco is also great for gas, travel, & restaurants but obviously you need to be a member. And then of course there’s PayPal 2% cash back, which turns out is the one I use the most because it covers everything the other cards don’t and is accepted everywhere.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.