Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best next steps? BT to existing card or new app

tag
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Best next steps? BT to existing card or new app

Been having a financial debate in my head for the past several days and finally decided to put my scenario out there for feedback. My scores below are current. No baddies on my report but I have higher utilization (~52%) which is weighing down my score. (note: please no negative comments on my high util. I've actually brought it down significantly in the past year from being nearly maxed so I'm proud of my progress).

Recently received BT offers on my BOA Cash Rewards card that I'm thinking of taking advantage of. I have never done one before, hence my uncertainty. So here goes...

The balances I would like to transfer are all store accounts subject to ridiculously high interest rates:

West Elm $2594/$4800 (54% util)
Overstock $2016/$3250 (62% util)
Macy's $3771/$12000 (31% util)

My BOA card has a balance of ~$2800 @ 23% util. Just received a SP CLI on the account so that's not an option right now. The current BT offers on my card are 0% int for 12 mos with 4% fee and I have the option to deposit the cash to checking or transfer balances to my card. Also have another offer at 1.99% int for 15 mos with 4% fee same options. In my reading on here I've read it's not good to BT to a card with a balance on it so if someone would kindly help me understand why I would greatly appreciate it because my initial thought is to just BT the two comenity accounts to the card, SD it and throw the combined $400 I pay for the cards per month at it.

My questions are:
Should I take advantage of the BOA BT offer? What's the best approach? Or should I app a separate BT card? If so, thoughts on which one?

Here are some additional stats:
TU score lower due to a personal loan only appearing on that bureau
1/24 (just apped/received the Amex Plat in April)
No inquiries in the last 12 mos on EX or EQ, 1 on TU (1 each on EX and EQ and 2 on TU in the last 24)
AAoA 5 yrs 1 mo
AoOA 11 yrs 4 mos
Income - indiv ~$100k (have only used indiv income on apps)

Have existing accounts with Amex, BOA, Barclays, Chase and Discover.

Thoughts?

In order of approval...
Fico Scores: EX 721 | EQ 723 | TU 719
Goals: Reduce util, obtain soft-pull CLIs and 720 across the board.
5 REPLIES 5
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Re: Best next steps? BT to existing card or new app

Considering the loud chorus of crickets in response to my posting, wanted to provide a brief update. Smiley Wink

Called BOA first thing this morning and spoke with a very helpful CSR. Told her how much I wanted to BT and from there she submitted a CLI request that allowed me a bit more cushion as I did not want to max out the card and get a FICO score ding. Requested amount to pay off both the Overstock and West Elm accounts and half of the Macy's and to have it deposited to my BOA checking account. It will be available in 1-3 days. The process was super smooth and easy. Will monitor what happens to my score as a result of having more accounts reporting a zero balance while paying down everything else. 

Just wanted to give a positive word of hope for others out there who may be building their way back from high utilization. Not proud of it but there were moments in my past where I was completely maxed and, thankfully, I've been able to gradually work my balances down and have yet to have any severe AA on any of my accounts (*knock on wood*). For reference I was at 83% util in January of this year alone. Smiley Embarassed And I was wrong in my initial post. Yesterday I was at 43% util, not 52%.

My limits are now growing steadily while my debt continues to decrease as I throw as much as I can at my balances every month.

Cheers to all.

In order of approval...
Message 2 of 6
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Good work, @goal_digger. You made the right decision. With your utilization where it's at, getting a decent approval on a new card would be a crapshoot. Oftentimes, cards are approved with limits that are too low to be useful.

The really good news is that BOA worked with you. They're obviously comfortable with the transfer, and they even increased your credit limit to accommodate it.

From a scoring standpoint, there's possible gain from fewer cards reporting positive balances. If my math is correct, your individual card utilization (which is determined by the card with the highest utilization) will drop to 48.9% or below, which is another possible gain.

My only concern is whether the $400 per month you plan on adding to your current BOA payment is enough. Ideally, you'd want to knock off that balance during the 0% interest period. However, if that isn't possible, your profile should be in excellent condition for a new BT card once the BOA promo ends.

Message 3 of 6
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Thanks so much for the feedback, @heavenohio. You're certainly right that apping a new card would have been a crapshoot so I wholeheartedly agree that this was the best choice for my situation. 

The $400 payments are just the minimums I've been paying on each account per month before the BT. I additionally have approximately $1500 per month that I apply to my balances. The next four months I will be paying off four other accounts that I'm currently only paying the minimum on. After that timeframe, I will begin aggressively paying down the BT and a personal loan using the additional money. Haven't done the math yet on when I'll be finished paying it off but, barring any major negative life events, hope to have it paid off well before the promo period. 

Based on my higher than ideal util I didn't get as much padding for the BT as I would have liked but every bit counts! My BOA will be at 80% util but all other accounts are ~30% or lower and will be zeroed out over the next few months. After everthing reports from this month (today's CLIs and the payoffs) my overall util will be at 39.5%.

In order of approval...
Message 4 of 6
NRB525
Super Contributor

OP you have a Discover? What is the limit, and do you have a balance on it?

The question about why not BT to a card with a spend balance, if that balance is being PIF, the BT immediately turns that spend balance to subject to the card APR. It sounds like your BofA balance was already incurring interest, so no change from the BT.

The list of cards you have, balances and limits, may reveal some additional steps you can take to try to minimize interest cost. Discover in particular.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 5 of 6
goal_digger
Regular Contributor

Thanks, @NRB525. Appreciate the feedback and explanation! I do have a Discover, however, the limit is too low for a BT. After a year of getting no love from them I finally got a small auto-CLI from them in May. Yesterday I hit the luv button and got an additional $700. I know they're good for BT offers but won't be able to utilize them until I build up my limit (and by that time I probably won't need it. Fingers crossed!).

PS - I originally had all of my card limits listed but edited my post to remove them once I moved forward with the BT since the details were no longer relevant.

In order of approval...
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.