Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best points system for flights

tag
littvay

Best points system for flights

Dear All

Lately both my dad and I have been disapointed in the airlines' miles systems.  Availability is horrible.  Black out dates.  Ridiculous fees in addition to the miles we have to use.  So We both decided to eliminate the United/AA (and in my case also Delta - which is the worst as they charge ridiculous amounts of miles on most flights are charge ~$400-500 if the flight does not initiate in the US... might as well just buy the ticket...) credit cards from our lives.

My father has been a relatively happy FlexPerks user now.  Recenly he managed to buy round trip tickets from Europe to Thailand for 50k points (each) without much trouble with availability.  But this card's foreign transaction fees are a killer (especially since he spends quite a bit of time in Europe and in Asia) and I know this card is not very favorable in the reviews.

So what should we swing for?  What is a better option.  We are in this for the long run so the annual fee shouldn't be too high (CSP is a hard sell because of this).  Venture looks a little better despite the low sign up benefits, but as I said we are in it for the long run.

But really, the most important issue is availability.  Will we find flights for a reasonable amout of points?  If we go $2 per pt there was no way we could have bought those Europe to Thailand flights.  Also other booking sites might restrict, say all flights have to initiate in the US.  These would all disqualify in our case.  The issue here is that you will never really know how good flight availability is, how good the booking system is util you sign up.  So I am hoping to get some info about Your experiences.  Which card (or cards) should I advise my dad to sign up for?

In sum.  Flight availability, flexibility with routes (can start from anywhere in the world), low fees and preferably no FTF is what we want.  Annual fees should be worth it in relation to the benefits.  $50 of Flexperks, no issues.  $59 of Venture, still OK.  $95 of CSP I am starting to think might be too much.  But open for arguments otherwise.  Open to all other options as well.

What are our best options?  Thanks.

Citi Dividend World Elite MC 13.7k / CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa Signature 10k / American Express Delta SkyMiles 8.7k / Chase Slate 15.8k / Credit Karma Transunion FAKO: 748.
Message 1 of 24
23 REPLIES 23
RemyWinchester
Contributor

Re: Best points system for flights

Id go with the Venture.... or Barclays Arrival which is another 2% card with massive sign up bonus and FTF

Message 2 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

Venture card is basically a cash back card for travel purchases. Its not a miles card where you put miles directly into an airline program to redeem. I would think the venture is better than flexperks. If you want actual miles you can put into airline programs than the CSP is a much better option. AF is waived the first year. There is another thread re: airline cards form today and I would recommend reading through that as the advice would be relevant to you as well. 

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 3 of 24
red259
Super Contributor

@RemyWinchester wrote:

Id go with the Venture.... or Barclays Arrival which is another 2% card with massive sign up bonus and FTF

The two cards are similar. My understanding is that if you are going to spend over 15k on the card over the course of a year the Barclays is worth getting even though it has a higher fee. Otherwise the Venture is better. It takes 15k of spend to get a large enough redemption bonus to negate the extra $30 in the annual fee.  

;
Starting Score: EQ: 714, TU 684
Current Score: EQ: 725 7/30/13, TU 684 6/2013, Exp 828 5/2018, Last App 8/5/17
Goal Score: 800 (Achieved!) In garden until Sepetember 2019
Message 4 of 24
littvay

Thanks for the heads up on the other thread. I managed to miss it.

I actually do not want to put my points towards miles. The airlines are sucking more and more by the month. But I am also not interested in point to cash reimbursements.as , in my experience, flights cost more in USD than points/miles. Best would be a system with its own booking place where i could book for points with good availability. Availability is key so anyone has comparative knowledge on this front, it is very welcomed. As far as i understand, Flexperks has this. But could be wrong.

Also, i am open to arguments as to what is the best system. (Go with this or that is not as helpful) and sign up bonus is not as essential as long term benefits with use.

Thanks again for being awesome!! (Super helpful as always.)
Citi Dividend World Elite MC 13.7k / CapitalOne Quicksilver Visa Signature 10k / American Express Delta SkyMiles 8.7k / Chase Slate 15.8k / Credit Karma Transunion FAKO: 748.
Message 5 of 24
ezdoesit
Valued Contributor

@littvay wrote:

I actually do not want to put my points towards miles. The airlines are sucking more and more by the month. But I am also not interested in point to cash reimbursements.as , in my experience, flights cost more in USD than points/miles. Best would be a system with its own booking place where i could book for points with good availability. Availability is key so anyone has comparative knowledge on this front, it is very welcomed. As far as i understand, Flexperks has this. But could be wrong.

Also, i am open to arguments as to what is the best system. (Go with this or that is not as helpful) and sign up bonus is not as essential as long term benefits with use.

There are really only two real players for airline miles.  Chase CSP.  Amex SPG or PRG (  SPG is better than the PRG ).

What airlines do you fly most?  The best of these cards are very subjective and a lot of variable go into it.  If your father goes to Europe why are you worried about a $95AF because I am sure he would put enough of the card to justifly the AF. 

IMO I think the SPG is a better all around card.

Message 6 of 24
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

@ezdoesit wrote:

@littvay wrote:

There are really only two real players for airline miles.  Chase CSP.  Amex SPG or PRG (  SPG is better than the PRG ).

What airlines do you fly most?  The best of these cards are very subjective and a lot of variable go into it.  If your father goes to Europe why are you worried about a $95AF because I am sure he would put enough of the card to justifly the AF. 

+1. I've never had availability issues with UA (or US), so part of the problem here is that your father should educate himself a bit more about how to search for flight availability. If you just do blind start-to-end desintation searches on the website, you won't find nearly as much as what's really available.

EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 7 of 24
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

http://boardingarea.com/bloggers/ (especially like view from the wing, frequent miler, one mile at a time)

millionmilesecrets.com

thepointsguy.com

frugaltravelguy.com

It's a trade off.  You either opt for a fixed value program like Venture where there are no blackouts and points are always worth $0.01, or you leverage the value of airline miles where there are capacity controls but you can get outsized value.  In the latter, you need to be a little more flexible with your dates of travel, understand how to use alliance partners, etc.  Happy reading.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 8 of 24
dxz7
Established Member

@ezdoesit wrote:

@littvay wrote:

I don't think the spg or prg is the right card for op. Op said no high annual fee cards, and prg is 175. plus both cards has a foreign transaction fee. So I personally think the chase csp would fit better with no ftf and 2 points per dollar on travel n dining, if using UR mall and book through hotels.com you will get 7 poinnts per dollar spent. But maybe also keep the bofa travel rewards in mind? no af, no ftf, 1.5 pts per dollar speng

Bofa Privileges with Cash Rewards Visa Signature -11k / Chase Sapphire Preferred - 10k / Chase Freedom - 7k / Hyatt Visa - 5k
Bofa Travel Rewards Card Visa Signature - 7.5k / American Express True Earnings - 5k / Barclay Arrival WorldMaster card - 5k
Message 9 of 24
SoonerMagic1
Established Member

I'm glad you mentioned this.  I have become an Amex fan and keep seeing references to SPG on the forum, but I don't understand their reward and redemption structure.  Do you mind explaning what you like about the SPG?  (FYI - I have a PRG that I may or may not renew when the AF hits and a Delta Gold that I will probably eventually PC to another card.)

Message 10 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.