Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best "road warrior" travel card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best "road warrior" travel card?

Hey, I am curious for those of you who travel frequently, what you find to be the best travel card.  What I am looking for is primarily the best features, not just best point system.

Features that I am most interested in is Rental Car Insurance converage and travel insurance, airline benefits, etc.

I am interested in best card balanced to best AF cost.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best "road warrior" travel card?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hey, I am curious for those of you who travel frequently, what you find to be the best travel card.  What I am looking for is primarily the best features, not just best point system.

Features that I am most interested in is Rental Car Insurance converage and travel insurance, airline benefits, etc.

I am interested in best card balanced to best AF cost.

My husband travels frequently. We have used various cards, but the one that I prefer is Chase Freedom Plus Signature, for the following reasons:

1.  $1,000,000 accidental death/dismemberment travel insurance;

2.  1% cashback; 3% on "top 3 categories." Unfortunately, most travel-related costs (air, car, hotel) are not in the categories that qualify for 3%. BUT, utilities, groceries, fast-food restaraunts are. Still, 1% on everything is nice.

3.  Being a signature card, if we DO go over the limit (which is INCREDIBLY unlikely), there is no over-limit fee. (This really isn't a big feature for me. We'll never go over the limit.)

4.  Annual fee is $30, BUT we more than make that back on the cash back program. Also, this fee is waived for the first year.

5.  Best feature of the cash back program:  save up your cash back until you hit $200. If you do, they give you a $50 bonus, so you get $250, instead of $200.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about car rental insurance?  I hate paying that $15 per day for loss damage protection.

I have a Chase Freedom Plus (Miles/Travel).  I also have the Discover Escape.  I like that Discover Escape actually acts as "PRIMARY" insurance on auto rentals to $50,000, no deductible, covers lost luggage, delayed/canceled travel and travel insurance.  And Discover gives me double miles on all purchases plus bonus on some others.

I'll have to look at my Freedom card rewards and compare.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

What about car rental insurance?  I hate paying that $15 per day for loss damage protection.

I have a Chase Freedom Plus (Miles/Travel).  I also have the Discover Escape.  I like that Discover Escape actually acts as "PRIMARY" insurance on auto rentals to $50,000, no deductible, covers lost luggage, delayed/canceled travel and travel insurance.  And Discover gives me double miles on all purchases plus bonus on some others.

I'll have to look at my Freedom card rewards and compare.

Yes, the Freedom Plus Signature card also includes rental insurance. I can't tell you the limits or coverage amounts off the top of my head, but I do know it's included.

Message 4 of 9
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita
Moved:

I split Eiso's post about changing from Freedom to Freedom Plus to start its own thread. New title: Changing from Freedom to Freedom Plus (duh!)

Message 5 of 9
Chopbrocoli
Established Contributor

Best travel card? I think you will definitely enjoy the Continental presidential plus world card from Chase. Card comes with elite access services from CO, free presidents club membership including access to all sky team lounges in US and some outside, flex elite qualification miles when you spend 25k or more, platinum status for hyatt, presidents club for Avis car rental, and the other standard world card bennefits from mastercard. This card still serves me well however the annual fee on it is $395, but the free 2nd checked baggage, presidents club membership and etc pays for itself. Only problem with this card is Chase does not report the limit due to the no pre-set spending limit.
AMEX Gold Premier Rewards | SPG AMEX | Bank of America Power Rewards | Merrill Plus | United Presidential Plus | Saks World Elite
Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I guess it depends on what kind of travel you take, car rental driving? air travel? which airline? etc. For example, it might be good for you to get the Chase - Southwest Airline Rapid Rerwards if you always take Southwest flights, just as Continental, United, or whatsoever. I've always considered AMEX Platinum or Gold Reward Plus to be the best travel card.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I had to pick one card it would be one that wouldn't be denied, a debit card. Since I don't have one I always carry at least a dozen credit cards in my wallet. Diversity rules.
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

depends on what kind of travel you do...

do you fly a lot? domestic or international?

best reward would be a card for the airline you use most, that way you can rack up the miles and still earn your usual status in the process, yet redeem only for first/business international flights (return value on that can't be beat by any cashback card period!)

the other option and a lot from flyertalk agree, can't beat Amex SPG (starwood preffered guest).

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.