Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best reward card for entertainment

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best reward card for entertainment

wait a minute, why aren't you happy with your Citi card?  In the year or so that you've had the card what kind of value have you gotten out of the Thank You points?

I just recently opened the Premier card, but did so more for the 3x travel.  I've had the Savor since the launch and yes the entertainment category is board but 

a) my understanding so far is that Citi's entertainment category is just as broad and

b) sometimes transferrable points trump even 4% cashback

actually now that I'm looking closer at your signature it looks like your strategy is almost exclusively cashback so yeah if the 4%, Postmates, and Vivid Seats lineup will get you value past the AF I guess that's best for your strategy.  

My initial thoughts after seeing the Premier in your sig with a quality CL is that you could get the 2x entertainment, continue paying the same AF instead of taking another one on, and then plan a points transfer that represents at least $0.02/pt return.  Getting that return on your points equals 4% cashback without having to get another card.  

Travel consultants value Thank You points at an average of 1.7¢.  I've read specific redemption stories proving 6¢/pt value which equals 12x return on entertainment. 

If you do not travel internationally, and/or do not have your SUB banked then this a moot point.  But I had to play advocate for the flip side of your thought process.  The community did a good job of comparing the Marvel card with Savor/SavorOne (but keep in mind Marvel is only statement credit redemption process).  Then with the recommendation of Gold Card - why not consider the Prestige card?  It would stack well with your Premier card.  It gets 5x on dining and flights vs 4x dining/grocery and 3x flights(which is same as your Premier).  

anyway, good luck with your decision.  

Message 11 of 36
etatauri
Established Member

I got the Savor when the sign up bonus was 500 bucks after a 3000 spend. It was a no brainer. However, I do plan on downgrading to the SavorOne to avoid the AF. I can still use the SavorOne for entertainment at 3% instead of 4%, but will probably get the Uber card so I can still get the 4% on dining. 

Also an interesting point to consider, Uber gives you a 50 dollar credit for streaming services like Netflix if you spend more than 5000 per year on the card. Which means, up to 5000 dollars, your return on dining is effectively at 5%, and after 5000, it drops down to 4%. Pretty good deal, especially since Uber gives you 2% on streaming services anyway.

Currently I think the Savor SUB is at 300, and the Uber, 100.

Its a really hard choice to make as the Savor is better on entertainment, while the Uber is better for dining. I definitely plan on having both in my wallet sometime in the future, probably after I get my Chase cards I want.

Capital One Savor 20,000 |||| Chase Sapphire Preferred 15,000 |||| American Express Blue Cash Preferred 11,000 |||| Venmo 10,000 |||| Macy's Amex 10,000 |||| Amazon Prime Signature Visa (Chase) 6,900 |||| Citi Double Cash 6,500 |||| Wells Fargo Platinum 6,000 |||| Chase Freedom Unlimited 5,700 |||| Paypal Credit 4,250 |||| Gap (Synchrony) 3,500 |||| Total CL: 98,850

EX: 812 |||| TU: 792 |||| EQ: 792 (As of Apr. 28, 2022)

Message 12 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

After reading these I think yea, the Amex Gold and BCP are not really great options for my needs.

No Citi entertainment doesnt appear to be quite as broad but I never considered upgrading to Prestige. I will look at that because yea, if I was thinking the AF isnt bad with the Amex then why not?

The reason I was thinking of going for a Savor or SavorOne is because I have a Cap 1 card already that is a basic 1.5 back, but I get that on many other cards so if I got Savor I would get a better point system and can move credit line from my 1.5, which I rarely use, to it as well.

Hm I have to think about uber again then!

Message 13 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

So looking at the Prestige vs Premier, it does say you earn 5x points at restraunts, but it doesnt say restaurants and on entertainment like the premier, so I would have to make sure of that.

And its a hefty 495 fee whereas the gold amex is 250 so its 245 bucks more. I would have to make a  whole lot of points to make up for that lol

Message 14 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

TYP vs MR

TYP don't hold much weight in comparison.  Look at the perks and whether or not you will actually use them.

Both get the most value out of TRAVEL 

For a PAR value of 1cpp GC's 

For Cash it's a dismal 50%

Gold has some perks if you eat out you get $10/mo back on certain dining charges ($120/yr)

Uber gets a 4% on dining w/o an AF that meets the same as Gold but, w/o the AF

If you have the spend then get all of them, collect the bonuses, and reevaluate after the 1st year on which to keep and which to toss.

Message 15 of 36
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So looking at the Prestige vs Premier, it does say you earn 5x points at restraunts, but it doesnt say restaurants and on entertainment like the premier, so I would have to make sure of that.

And its a hefty 495 fee whereas the gold amex is 250 so its 245 bucks more. I would have to make a  whole lot of points to make up for that lol

I dropped Prestige for CSR a year ago, but see this article: https://thepointsguy.com/news/citi-prestige-changes/

It says Prestige only offers 2x on entertainment, and that it will fall to just the base 1x in Sept 2019.

Premier also gives 3x on things like mass transit and gasoline (which earn only 1x on Prestige). The reward contrast between the two cards is NOT a simple question of getting 3x vs. 5x.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 16 of 36
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

So I am trying to decide on my next completely unnecessary but want it anyway, credit card.

I have been looking at a few.. Uber Visa, Amex Gold, Amex BCP, and Savor.

I was thinking of going for a card that gives good rewards of course but centers on restraunts and entertainment. Most reward points would go towards Amazon stuff with some travel mixed in.

Does anyone else like these cards and recommend them? I was thinking I may have to do a spreadsheet lol

I like the Marvel mastercards -- simple 3% cashback on dining and entertainment.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 17 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

thats what i was noticing too. Points are not all applied the same way.

Plus one has to make 72500 points to cover the 495 fee at my amazon rate of 70%.. if at 50% that makes the points go into the 100K. I just dont think I would use it enough yet. It does give nice points for specific things but I would have to do more of those things is all.

the marvel cards are issued by synchrony and I have a few of thier cards already. I heard having too many accounts with the same creditor can actually drop your score though..

Message 18 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

the marvel cards are issued by synchrony and I have a few of thier cards already. I heard having too many accounts with the same creditor can actually drop your score though..

No, but, if you have too much they can chop your limits due to exposure.  It's not likely it's just something to think about.  It's a decent catagory card and easy to work up the limit as you know with Synch.  

Personally I diversify things and limit my exposure to 3 cards with any issuer at any given time.  You never know when they're going to get a twitch and start acting funny.

Message 19 of 36
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh okay I see. Hm and I have three now as I think about it. amazon, newegg and carcare. May not be the best idea for me then just in case as I do not want to risk my limits on amazon and newegg. Carcare isnt as important but comes in handy as a gascard on trips when I dont want to eat my lines on the other cards. and the eventual auto repair coming up to the tune of about 1300 lol

I read the article on the Citi Prestige and it does have limitations but its really not a bad card. Just have to be strategic which I think we all are here right? haha

Message 20 of 36
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.