Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best reward card for paying rent...

tag
cgn11963
Established Member

Re: Best reward card for paying rent...

The Alliant SV looks real attractive.

Another poster said high open CL's are a concern. I'm just under 300k.

Everything else is inline. 4-5% util. 240ish salary. 765 and above all 3 scores. Low inq. Half a dozen cards over 30k CL. 

Just got a Prestige last week. Only CC in over a year. 

Message 11 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another option for non category spend would be chasing some nice signup bonuses.
Message 12 of 19
jonsnow3130
Valued Member

I use Citi double cash. It gives 2% unlimited cash back
Message 13 of 19
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@cgn11963 wrote:

I have the ability to pay my rent each month over the internet by CC. Only accept MC, Visa, and Discover. My rent is almost 3k a month. So I can put some serious spend on the card pretty quickly. 

It costs me 1% for each payment. I know I can use my NFCU Flagship and get 2% back and make a little money. 

Is there another card that is better? Cash back or rewards points....doesn't really matter.

Thanks for your help!

You're very lucky to be able to do it with only a 1% convenience fee. There are tons of no-fee rewards cards out there with which you'll be able to get rewards exceeding the convenience fee.

I know of none that allow rent as a bonus category, though, so you should just use whatever rewards card works for you.

According to this article, apartment buildings sometimes code as a hotel, so that you can get travel bonus points:

https://www.pointsmd.com/get-a-category-bonus-for-paying-rent-with-your-credit-card/

But I'm skeptical.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 701 TU 704 EX 685

Message 14 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

For what's worth, my rent payment isbcoded as professional services. It charges a flat 17 USD fee, so I'm overpaying 2 extra months ahead to get 1.5% back.
Message 15 of 19
pete19103
New Contributor

You can get some nice SUB and meet the min spend requrement quickly for most credit cards.   For a high SUB, try Kinecta FCU MY Perks credit card that I got recently but note some differences from most other credit cards:

Anybody can apply as you can get membership by joining the Santa Monica Co-op for $10(but that fee was waived)  
I applied mainly for the signup bonus as below: 
   Within first 90 days:
     Receive $500 if spend $6,000 or more
     Receive $250 if spend $4,000 to $5,999
     Receive $100 if spend $1,500 to $3,999  

1)  You will have to provide ID (Drivers Lic or passport), proof of address and proof of income, so no fibbing on the income part of the application.
2)  You have to open a Kinecta Savings acct($10 min) as well.  You can NOT pay your credit card directly from an external bank acct; you have to transfer from your external bank acct to your Kinecta Savings acct first(which takes 2-3 business days) then pay your CC from the Kinecta savings account
3)  Cut off for same day payment is 12:00noon (probably PST as they are in CA)
4)  SUB is a statement credit but reward credits redemption in $50 increments.
5)  I got a SL of $2,500 (FICO 730) even though most of my other major CC had limits from $7,500 to $12,000 at the time of application. However, that may have been due to having 3 recent new CC in the previous couple months. So if you want to reach the $500 SUB for spending $6,000(or even the $250 bonus) will probably have to make payments every week or 2 to be able to spend enough if you dont get a large credit limit.

Message 16 of 19
JamP
Valued Contributor

My go to cards are Alliant VS and Citi DoubleCash.

With that kinda spend you should go for Alliant VS in my oppinion.

There are some other 2% cards out there but 2.5% even with the AF you will still be ahead with that kinda spend.

Put everything on it like I do and they will love you. I also have their high return savings. I've been very impressed with Alliant even though they are still kinda old school - approval, app, website, deposits and such.

Some say they are kinda hard to get into. I was a little hesitant but tried anyways since I already was putting everything on my DoubleCash anyways. I still put some spend on my DoubleCash just not nearly as much as I did before.

I've put taxes, plastiq and all sorts of fee related charges on my Alliant and pay in full, can't even remember the interest rate lol

250k+ CL and climbing.
Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

There are some hotel cards that give you a free night at $10-15K annual spend.

For example, World of Hyatt Visa comes with 1 free night per year, 50,000 point SUB on $6K spend, and a second free night at $15K (up to category 4 which cost 15,000 points).  1X points on non-category spend.

Hyatt points are worth 1.7 cents.  

So if you put $15K annually in rent on the card, you'd receive 65,000 points and 2 free night certificates at the end of year 1, and 15,000 points and 2 free night certificates at the end of year 2.

On that second year, that's an extra 15,000 points and 1 free night over doing nothing.  Assuming the free night is Cat 4 worth 15,000 points as well, that's 2x back on your rent spend, worth 3.4% in Hyatt redemptions ($510).

And I would not adjust that for the annual fee, since that $95 fee gets you status and a free night certificate by itself.  

3.4% is better than a Citi Double Cash solution.  But pales in comparison to using rent to hit SUBs, which typically return 14% or more (sometimes much more) on spend.  

Message 18 of 19
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Chase Unliited for first $20k is 3%.

Discover will double first year cash back.

And like others said, I would do the sign up bonuses on many cards!

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.