cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card for someone with no credit card history?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best rewards card for someone with no credit card history?

My brother-in-law is looking for his first credit card. He's 27 ... (seriously, how have you not got a credit card before!?). Anyway, his Creditkarma EQ score is a 742, 60k income. He has had a few auto loans, no baddies or degors. He got a mailer from Chase for the Freedom card was instant declined, recon said that Chase wants history with another credit card first. He is in the market for a rewards card only, no terrible cap 1 cards, something with decent rewards.

Thoughts are:

1. Citi Costco  - how easy is this card for a newbie w/ no credit card history? Categories aling well with his spending.

2. Uber - unsure about how hard to qualify for this card

3. NFCU - Go rewards. He can get into NFCU.

3. Discover IT - prefer a visa/mc, but wose case can do discover.

I was also thinking about adding him onto my Citi DC as a worst case scernario. I really don't like AUs other than my spouse, but I can reduce the credit line and he can have it (I never use this card anymore) until he can get a good card.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best rewards card for someone with no credit card history?

Discover loves rebuilders and builders.

There's no "best" card, though, and I typically try not to answer that one word because without defining it, it's fruitless.

What kind of rewards does your brother-in-law like?

Also, CreditKarma is an entertainment score, not a score used by lenders for underwriting.  Have him signup at creditscorecard.com for a free monthly FICO8.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Majority of spend is on restaraunts and gas. Probably around 75%. So, leaning towards cards that maximize this as the bonus catoegory that are good for builders. I’ll have him get on the free Fico score so he can get a better idea.
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Discover IT Chrome (not the 5% card) is 2% general spend, 4% on restaurants and gas -- only for the first year.  Their secured card also is this product.  I'd go to the prequalify page and see if they can get the IT Chrome card for sure.  There's really no better single card and it's only double cash for a year, so after that they can replace it with something better that they should then qualify for.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would 1st see if his BANK has a card that would mert his needs. If they dont by the sounds of it he might be intrested in a diners club card. 

And to the him never having a credit card might be a good thing since he probley has money stashed away. 

This rewards game that some on here play is not for everyone. 

Message 5 of 8
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Citi likes some history too. Discover maybe best bet as they'd probably drool over a newb with no ties to anyone and knock on would wood probably give hime like 10k sl, kidding but not reallySmiley Wink

Anyone who can join Navy but doesnt should be certifiedSmiley Wink. JOIN NAVY!!!. They will be fantastic to him and many options of credit exist from cc to car loans to pl to cloc.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I agree that Discover may be his best bet.

Message 7 of 8
ToughFistFight
Frequent Contributor

NFCU for sure. My daughter is in med school. They have been wonderful to her. My hubby and I have accounts and business accounts. We can stay with them forever. I like that cu better than the cu I'm with now.

Chase Business Ink 20k PenFed Plat Rewards VS 25k NFCU Go Rewards 20k BECU 30k Chase FU 6k GM Biz 21k NFCU Flag 21k Amex BCP 26k Disco IT 18k FNBO Biz 11k Costco Citi Biz 8.1k Amex EDP 2k Gold Delta Skymiles Biz 5k Amazon Prime 10k USBank Cash 12k Amex Biz Plat Rewards NPSL Amex BCB NPSL
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.