Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best rewards card for the credit-averse

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best rewards card for the credit-averse

And the more I think it through, I can just keep a card saved on the Amazon account, so basically this question has turned into "what's the best grocery card?" which I'm sure has been answered a million times.

I just want her to have only one card to carry and use since I think she'll be willing to go along with that.

Message 11 of 13
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Sallie-BCP3.png

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't agree with the above chart. If you have $300 in groceries per month, you have $250*0.05% + $50*.01% = $13 in rewards per month, which equates to $156 per year. For the Amex card, you get 6% back on the entire $300 per month, which gives $216 per year. However, you also have a $75 annual fee, which means that you're left with $141 per year. The catch is that you have a lot of variance in your spending, and the results change dramatically depending on how much you spend. If you're close to $300 most months, the math will hold up. If you're oscillating between $500 and $250, we may need to recompute. 

Overall, Sallie Mae is probably the better option for your wife. As a perk, you get a 5% gas card and 5% off on Amazon. 

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.