cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best secured cards (was: which to graduate first)

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Best secured card to graduate first?

There are no TD banks in my local area, but there are some branches within a couple of hours in places that I occasionally visit anyway. Stopping by a branch would not be a problem, but, it wouldn't make much sense to actually open an account there just for this. Which, as someone else pointed out, rewards on a secured card are not going to amount to that much money back, anyway. That said, do you know if they are a bit selective with these, the way Discover secured can be, or is it as easy to get as most secured cards? Even if I don't pursue it, it might be good info for someone else reading this thread at some point. Thanks!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 11 of 21
jaxstraw
Valued Contributor

@KJinNC wrote:

There are no TD banks in my local area, but there are some branches within a couple of hours in places that I occasionally visit anyway. Stopping by a branch would not be a problem, but, it wouldn't make much sense to actually open an account there just for this. Which, as someone else pointed out, rewards on a secured card are not going to amount to that much money back, anyway. That said, do you know if they are a bit selective with these, the way Discover secured can be, or is it as easy to get as most secured cards? Even if I don't pursue it, it might be good info for someone else reading this thread at some point. Thanks!

From my understanding it 8s as easy to get as most secured cards.

Another reason it probably isn't as popular is it is a minimum of $500 to get one.

But it is definitely a card that can graduate in a decent time frame...and that seems to be getting rarer.

Jax

*************************************************************************************
Then you are a fool. Be thankful that when God gave you a face, he gave you a fool's face
Message 12 of 21
slither43
Regular Contributor

Disco was really good to me, graduating after 7 months. Only had a $200 deposit and CL went to $2000. I used the card almost up to the limit (not hard on a $200 card. lol) and always paid in full before it reported. Good luck!

Message 13 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Cap One usually graduate on 7th month and you will get CLI on 9th month. Then afterwards, you can request to upgrade to QS or V1 card. If it was denied, I will suggest to apply for 2nd card while keep the secured card for year or so then close it and it will have postive report on your CR for 10 years.

For Discover, I heard they gradaute you faster if you have high usage and pay in full, all the times.

For Citi, I cant say because I dont have them.

Cap One no longer graduates. There are two big long threads about it several months ago.

Message 14 of 21
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

I just called TD and spoke with a nice lady about their secured card. Wish I'd considered this before getting some of the cards I already have. Pondering now whether it's worth it in the long term for some short-term credit pain. It'll be another hard pull, I suppose, and not that I can probably get any Chase card for now, but it'll lock me out of Chase for two years as this would be my fifth recent card. Sigh. That said, I am interested because it could be a card I hold for many years.

Here is what I learned on the phone for anyone else interested.

- The reason you need to visit a branch is that you need to open a savings account. Your savings account is your collateral for the card. So, you'd deposit $500 or more in a savings account and let it sit there, in order to get a $500 card. I specifically asked about $500, I don't know if you can do less, I assume you can do more.

- There are TD banks in my state (though not very close to me). I don't know what the situation would be if you lived in a state with no TD banks, if they'd let you open an account if you visited a branch.

- She said that after seven months, they start automatically considering the card for graduation to unsecured.

For anyone who can open a TD account, I think this is a GREAT secured card, arguably the best I know of, along with Discover.

I could try to get the similar BoA card. There are BoA branches in my area. But, I don't like the idea of applying for the unsecured card, getting rejected, and hoping they offer me the "good" secured card. They do not let you apply directly for the secured card with cash back, as best I can tell.

If I could go back two months, I'd still do Citi, and from there, I'd do Discover and TD. In case anybody else now or in the future starts down the same path, that would be my advice. I think I'd wait on C1 until I was pretty confident I could qualify for a QS. I would skip Primor entirely.

Thanks for all info!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 15 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Plus one. Exactly same for me. Now I pc'd it to the it card after graduation. My anniversary is soon. I'll be getting maybe 250 cash back!
Message 16 of 21
Yeliaba1
Frequent Contributor

I agree with the majority OP, put your focus on the Discover as it has the best possibility to graduate the fastest, grow, and open other possibilities with Discover. Citi you'll just have to await and with Cap1 one never knows but it rarely matches the growth in Discover. I understand your reluctance with in cutting Primor but you seem to understand it's not a card for your future. At some point you may lose a few points from closing it. Your question is now or later? Myself, I'd get my money back now and use it elsewhere. Just my 2c. Depending on where you live FNBO also has a secured card that can graduate at 11mo. and receive CLIs as soon as 7.
Message 17 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

FWIW Discover is the Best card,  Cap One will eventually graduate you but then you may spend time in the dreaded "Bucket", So you will need to reapply with Cap one and get a decent card un-bucketed, this is what I had to do... Discover just grows with you and you can have that card for many years to come... JMO.. Good Luck

Message 18 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would double down on my recommendation not to apply for any more card at the moment. You are already at 4 in the course of the year, adding one for the sake of it will only reduce your chances to get a good card in a year or so. For example, you can forget about Chase for the next two years.

I understand that rewards may be appealing, but these really do not make much sense with the kind of limits you will get. Not even sure you can cover the AF.
Message 19 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Facts.
I opened up too many accounts my first year. If I had waited for my accounts to age over a year I would most likely have higher sl on the store cards(even though I'm happy with them all at 2000-2500 for now)
But stick with Disco- pc to the it when u graduate and u'll have maybe the best rewards card there is, and started from being a secured card.
Let them age together for a year and go for a great card!! Good luck..
Message 20 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.