cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best secured cards (was: which to graduate first)

tag
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

Re: Best secured card to graduate first?

Just to mention, I received the Primor today. (As a random comment, I have been pronouncing it "PREE more", but when you call to activate, the recording pronounces it PRY more.)

After much deliberation, I decided to keep it, as I don't think there can really be a downside to sock drawering it for a year, other than the $300 I will have tied up in it. So, I activated it, immediately made a small purchase with it, and then immediately went to their Web site to make a payment.

Their Web site asked for my bank routing and checking numbers, etc, normal stuff, but then said it couldn't activate that payment method until I sent some kind of document showing that it really is my banking account. I have never been challenged for that before.

I then went to make a debit card payment. This requires going to a different url (?). I made the payment and didn't get an immediate receipt. It said it would be mailed to me. My account balance does not reflect the payment.

I do have until early June to make a payment, but, I can see why people complain so much about this card. It seems designed to make it difficult to make payments. I am not sure if they are just really bad at configuring their site, or if they are actually trying to make people pay late so they can charge late fees.

Overall impression: TERRIBLE, but I have several weeks to make sure I pay the bill (will call their phone number if I don't see confirmation soon), and then it'll be sock-drawered for a few months. Then I will repeat the painful process again. After a year, I will cancel.

I would suggest that others avoid this card/company. I don't think it's really intended to help build credit, so much as to prey upon people with bad credit or bad habits. This company would have wrecked the 24-year-old version of me. I'd have thrown up my hands and given up making payments and then dealt with penalties and late fees later.

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 21 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.