cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best signup bonus citi card before I PC to double cash back?

tag
Subexistence
Established Contributor

Best signup bonus citi card before I PC to double cash back?

I was thinking about getting a citi card with a signup bonus then convert it to double cash back. I called citi and they said 1 year is needed before PC from citi preferred college card to citi double cash back.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/compare-credit-cards/citi.action?ID=view-all-credit-cards

I'm not sure if the 1 year thing applies to all cards but if that is true, I won't be able to get citi AAdvantage or Premier card and convert before annual fee comes in so I'm most likely not apping for AAdvantage cards or the Premier card. However I'm not sure if I should go for citi preferred college card or citi preferred card. I'm a college student but citi preferred gives higher sign up bonus.

My college has a system where you can use a credit card to buy points to spend in college but I can get a full refund for those points. That means I can spend like $3000 in the points system, get signup bonus and cashback, then get my $3000 back.

Starting Score: Ex08-732,Eq08-713,Tu08-717
Current Score:Ex08-795,Eq08-807,Tu08-787,EX98-761,Eq04-742
Goal Score: Ex98-760,Eq04-760

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

History of my credit
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best signup bonus citi card before I PC to double cash back?

@Subexistence wrote:

I was thinking about getting a citi card with a signup bonus then convert it to double cash back. I called citi and they said 1 year is needed before PC from citi preferred college card to citi double cash back.

https://www.citi.com/credit-cards/compare-credit-cards/citi.action?ID=view-all-credit-cards

I'm not sure if the 1 year thing applies to all cards but if that is true, I won't be able to get citi AAdvantage or Premier card and convert before annual fee comes in so I'm most likely not apping for AAdvantage cards or the Premier card. However I'm not sure if I should go for citi preferred college card or citi preferred card. I'm a college student but citi preferred gives higher sign up bonus.

My college has a system where you can use a credit card to buy points to spend in college but I can get a full refund for those points. That means I can spend like $3000 in the points system, get signup bonus and cashback, then get my $3000 back.

You could get the Thank you it has an offer for $15,000 Thank you points for spending 1,000 in the first 3 months of account opening. 

Message 2 of 17
csryang
Frequent Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

I think the 1 year thing applies to all Citi cards before any PC. Why dont you want to apply for AA or Premier card with high sign up bonus? They all have first year without annual fee I think. You can always PC then 1 year later with AF refund to you.

At the time of PC, you can then get your annual fee refund back to you! Just make sure you call them for PC within 30 day of annual fee posted to your account. You will get them credited back to you when you product change. Some said that you only get partial credit/proration due to the product change process taking close to 2 months. However, if you are persistently and call them to request full annual fee refund, some agent will credit the full amount back when you PC.

Dont tell them that you want to product change 1 year down the road, tell them that you dont think it's worth the annual fee and you are debating keeping the card. They might offer you a great retention offer. If they dont have any retention offer, just tell them that you like other Citi card with no annual fee but not this card. They might offer the option to PC without you asking.

Sounds like your college has a good system for you to churn any cards! Smiley Happy Just make sure that the transaction is not coded as "CASH ADVANCE" which will incur a charge. Also make sure that when you return/refund the points with your college, they dont put the refund back to your card or something. Some credit card company might catch this and claw back sign up bonus.

Message 3 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Subexistence wrote:

Careful on the bolded if I am reading that right and understanding what you are saying correctly.

Message 4 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@csryang wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

I think the 1 year thing applies to all Citi cards before any PC. Why dont you want to apply for AA or Premier card with high sign up bonus? They all have first year without annual fee I think. You can always PC then 1 year later with AF refund to you.

At the time of PC, you can then get your annual fee refund back to you! Just make sure you call them for PC within 30 day of annual fee posted to your account. You will get them credited back to you when you product change. Some said that you only get partial credit/proration due to the product change process taking close to 2 months. However, if you are persistently and call them to request full annual fee refund, some agent will credit the full amount back when you PC.

Dont tell them that you want to product change 1 year down the road, tell them that you dont think it's worth the annual fee and you are debating keeping the card. They might offer you a great retention offer. If they dont have any retention offer, just tell them that you like other Citi card with no annual fee but not this card. They might offer the option to PC without you asking.

Sounds like your college has a good system for you to churn any cards! Smiley Happy Just make sure that the transaction is not coded as "CASH ADVANCE" which will incur a charge. Also make sure that when you return/refund the points with your college, they dont put the refund back to your card or something. Some credit card company might catch this and claw back sign up bonus.

Then should I go for 

Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ MasterCard®

How do I know if it is considered cash advance? I don't think it's cash advance though. Credit card companies can claw it back!?

History of my credit
Message 5 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Careful on the bolded if I am reading that right and understanding what you are saying correctly.

Why?

History of my credit
Message 6 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Subexistence wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Why?

If I am reading it right you spend 3k on points on say a CC.. Meet spend bonus and collect said bonus then turn points back into college for the 3k back and then pay off CC with refund from points.  This is a form of MS.  Correct me if I am wrong that is basically what you are doing?

Message 7 of 17
Subexistence
Established Contributor

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Why?

If I am reading it right you spend 3k on points on say a CC.. Meet spend bonus then turn points back into college for the 3k back and then pay off CC and get spend bonus.  This is a form of MS.  Correct me if I am wrong that is basically what you are doing?

What is MS?

History of my credit
Message 8 of 17
CreditCuriosity
Moderator Emeritus

@Subexistence wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

@CreditCuriousity wrote:

@Subexistence wrote:

Why?

If I am reading it right you spend 3k on points on say a CC.. Meet spend bonus then turn points back into college for the 3k back and then pay off CC and get spend bonus.  This is a form of MS.  Correct me if I am wrong that is basically what you are doing?

What is MS?

Manufactured spending.. You can google it.. It cannot really be discussed on this forum.

Was I correct on the rest of it though?

If this is the case and I was correct this is a big no-no with CC companies and can get you shut down with said lender before you says oops.

Message 9 of 17
wasCB14
Super Contributor

@Subexistence wrote:

Actually I think that may be possible (or something very similar may be)...at least that's what a Citi CSR told me. I'm in the process of PCing, but it's not complete yet.

I started the process of converting my AAdvantage Platinum card to Costco when the account was like 368 or 369 days old. The rep said the PC takes like six or seven weeks to complete. Citi AFs post at the end of the 13th statement, and I think I read that Citi refunds AFs if you PC or cancel within (38?) days of an AF posting. If I'm right about that, it would mean you can get a refund if the PC is completed by a week into the 14th month.

So I expect to have the first AF post, and then to get a refund of it.

I could have gotten bad information and be wrong about this, but even if l end up stuck with the AF, I still got a nice bonus and lots of checked bags. I'll just be flying Delta more in the future.

Paying one AF wouldn't be so bad if you can get a really great bonus.

Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.