cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best strategical move for AMEX and Citicards.

tag
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Best strategical move for AMEX and Citicards.

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
So you don't like BCE/BCP ey FinStar?

Oh don't get me wrong young, I do like my BCP, Costco, SPG and Platinum ... usually, when I try to maximize most rewards, like travel (other than lounge perks with the AMEX Platinum); I tend to gravitate toward my CSP... or for the cash back, the Privileges Cash Rewards (e.g. BOA checking acct bonus and BankAmeriDeals).  I guess it would depend on my quarterly spend and depending on any travel plans and whatnot.

Message 11 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Message 12 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@youngandcreditwrthy wrote:
Longtime lurker, you have a $34k BCP!
And you say it sucks!
Hypocrit... Whaaaaaaaa? Lmao. -.-

I believe my comment was that it wasn't fabulous in terms of total rewards.  So I didn't say it sucks, and while I am indeed a hypocrite in many ways, that has nothing to do with the BCP!

Getting a five digit CL might feel good, but it doesn't necessarily have a whole load of value, especially when you have several cards so normal utilization is under control.   When I got the BCP, it was uncapped, and that did make it a GREAT cashback card.  With the cap, the max back for groceries is $360, with a $75 fee.  BCE gives $180.

These are very small amounts for a card to be considered fabulous, and as cashback, it's not as if there are fancy redemptions that can count as 5c per point etc.  
My BCP is SD as soon as I meet the $6K for supermarkets.  Has no value after that....

And your comment: AF = no go:  that just, um, foolish.   AF is part of the equation: consider your spending patterns and the reward structure, and often AF will put you ahead.  As in the case of BCP vs BCE, even forgetting the higher sign up bonus.

Message 13 of 29
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

Message 14 of 29
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Please remember to be respectful of all forum members.

Thank you!
Message 15 of 29
Sorainzo
Valued Member

Wow, what happened to the thread, no one answered any of my questions and it was actually a pretty simple question. I'll say it again, I only care about the cards that I asked about, the BCE and CitiForward. I know about their rewards, I don't care if someone thinks they're not as good as whatever other cards, I just want THOSE particular ones and apparently, they are good cards. Yes, the scores in my signature are current, BUT I'm not planning on applying for those cards RIGHT NOW. I'm asking, of the ones I mentioned, WHICH APPROACH should I take when applying for both of those cards.

What I'm asking is, WHICH of those four options that I mentioned in the original post should I follow through with? I just want to know which of those options are best. I'm trying to get an AMEX card and the BCE is the best one overall to me (good rewards with NO annual fee). I got a credit card back in 2009, but I've had student loans and checkings and savings accounts back in 2005. I like Citibank, they've been pretty good before and want that Forward card as well, so that's why I want another card by them. I don't really have a "main" card, I have 2 credit cards already, but want another 2 (particularly CitiForward and BCE).

I'm just trying to see if applying for the AMEXs first would affect Citibank's decision in approving the CitiForward app as much as it would the other way around. I heard something about soft pulls with AMEX within a month if it doesn't approve and that Citibank doesn't like too many inquiries or something.

Starting Score: 597
Current Score: 694
Goal Score: 710

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
My Current Cards: Capital One Cash Rewards - $5000, Chase Amazon Rewards - $1400, Citi Secured - $300, U.S. Bank Secured - $300, Firestone CFNA Card - $1200
Message 16 of 29
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

This is the internet, things happen to discussions.  Also, you won't really get reliable advice on your sort of question, no-one here really knows how and why the banks make their decisions, so you just get a bunch of sometimes very confidently expressed guesses.

So just one check: are you a student?  Citi Forward is (more or less) restricted to students.  Some of us (guessing again) have doubts if it will keep its structure for very long, with 2x entertainment added as a selling point to the TY and TYP cards, it seems less likely that a 5x category will be kept on a lower level card.

Message 17 of 29
youngandcreditwrthy
Senior Contributor

Haha no disrespect to anyone. I was stressing the value of BCE for us mere mortals. Simmer down mama lex:-p
Bahahhaha!
That's a silly cat.
As previously advised, skip the Chiticard, and app BCE when your score is higher.

Heh, that $6k cap is annoying, although I barely get there anyway. I just feed myself :-) lol
Marriott PR$25k | BCE $24.5K |BankAmericard Visa $25k| BOA Better Bal $17.5k |Wmt Discover $12.5k | BR Visa $17.5k | Amex Delta Gold $10k | Discover IT $10k | Paypal Extras MC $15k | Amazon Store $10k|Smile Gen $7.25k | Dillard's $10k | West Elm $4k| Express $3.05K | Mypoints.com Visa $4.5k | Freedom Visa $1k| Amex Surpass $1k
Message 18 of 29
B335is
Moderator Emeritus

@OP With a 610 Fico score you're unlikely to be approved for any Amex or Citi card.  I would say once you get that score north of 650, you have a shot at one of Amex's charge cards.  What does the rest of your report look like; recent negatives, high balances, etc...  I would work on boosting your score and you would have a much better chance of getting approved for both Amex BCE and Citi.

Message 19 of 29
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

@B335is wrote:

@OP With a 610 Fico score you're unlikely to be approved for any Amex or Citi card.  I would say once you get that score north of 650, you have a shot at one of Amex's charge cards.  What does the rest of your report look like; recent negatives, high balances, etc...  I would work on boosting your score and you would have a much better chance of getting approved for both Amex BCE and Citi.

+1...if OP's scores are in the low 600s i would definitely wait until you get it past mid-600s before even appling for amex charge card...

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.