cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best travel delay/cancellation policy? CSR, CSP, Amex, Premier, Prestige?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best travel delay/cancellation policy? CSR, CSP, Amex, Premier, Prestige?

My CSP has 12 hr delay protection, i guess its bare minimum. I know CSR has 6 hr delay protection.

How about other options? Which one is the best?

Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
digitek
Established Contributor

Re: Best travel delay/cancellation policy? CSR, CSP, Amex, Premier, Prestige?

Citi Prestige has it/had it/I really don't know what's going on with that card but I think it was only 4 hour delay kicked it in.

CSR/CSP are the only other card I know that has it. On average only 1% of all flights get straight cancelled. If you fly more budget airlines that can't get you home on other flights easily or you fly at odd times for better prices like late flights or you know you visit places with bad weather then you will have better odds of using it.

I used it once for ~$400 when I had a flight cancelled in NYC and it was pretty painless.

That insurance is the reason I chose CSR as my premium travel card, well and a few other reasons, but I'm not getting that debate here in this thread. 😁
Message 2 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

did not realize CSP also have cancellation protection, lol, would be a good one to use with expensive tickets.

does protection apply when you use UR for ticket?

Message 3 of 21
Priory_Man
Valued Contributor

@digitek wrote:
Citi Prestige has it/had it/I really don't know what's going on with that card but I think it was only 4 hour delay kicked it in.

Sad to say this changed in July of this year, it was bumped from 3 hours to 6 hours and they will cover upto $500 per trip. The perk this card had for delays is not as good as it once was.

"Total revolving credit $286,000 Current UTIL >1%"
Message 4 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Citi DC also has trip cancellation/delay protection???!!

Message 5 of 21
digitek
Established Contributor

Citi DC's is not quite the same.  Trip Interruption is close to Trip Delay, but it only kicks in if your whole trip is ruined due to a hurricane or similar severe weather event or you get sick/injured.  It does not pay for hotel/meals if flights are cancelled which is really what Trip Delay insurance is for.

You really have to read the benefits in particular, they all sound very similar, I think my CSR has 4 or 5 different travel/trip insurances on it =D

Yes, you get all CSR protections if you use UR from your CSR account to book.  Chase has it so that each card has their own pool of UR, but you can combine them if you want, and when you use the UR portal you use it under a specific card.

Message 6 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

Citi DC's is not quite the same.  Trip Interruption is close to Trip Delay, but it only kicks in if your whole trip is ruined due to a hurricane or similar severe weather event or you get sick/injured.  It does not pay for hotel/meals if flights are cancelled which is really what Trip Delay insurance is for.

You really have to read the benefits in particular, they all sound very similar, I think my CSR has 4 or 5 different travel/trip insurances on it =D

Yes, you get all CSR protections if you use UR from your CSR account to book.  Chase has it so that each card has their own pool of UR, but you can combine them if you want, and when you use the UR portal you use it under a specific card.

I found this link, https://thepointsguy.com/guide/credit-card-trip-cancellation-interruption-protection/

I know citi cap is lower than chase, but both seems only cover similar reasons of canccelations. Citi DC does cover cancellations, not just delay.

Or maybe that page is out of date? idk.

Message 7 of 21
digitek
Established Contributor

Here are the specifics on Citi DC Trip Interruption Benefit due to severe weather (which is closest to traditional Trip Delay on Citi Prestige/CSR):

Covered Reasons: Travel or Weather Issues:
Severe weather or natural disaster causes all travel to or from the
Covered Traveler’s Trip destination to stop for at least 24 hours.
A mandatory evacuation is ordered by a government or public
safety agency at the Covered Traveler’s Trip destination.
A terrorist incident certified by a government agency, occurs
in the Covered Traveler’s Trip destination.

Looks like you would need a 24 hour block on all travel to from the destination, not just a carrier cancelling a flight for whatever reason.  For example in my NYC case it would definitely not have kicked in.  It was a 4PM Delta flight that got cancelled because of bad weather in the morning backed up the whole airport the rest of the day, next flight was early next morning.  Wasn't a 24 hour ban on all travel related traffic =D

A whole lot of cards have Trip Cancellation insurance on them.

Message 8 of 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

lol, in that case, it seems with regard to severe weather and flight cancellation by the carrier, all citi cards, including premier and prestige, are coming up short.

If you are sick, however, both chase and citi protections are similar. So DC is not completely useless.

Citi premier/prestige do have a job loss cancellation protection, which seems to be something chase doesn't offer.

How about Amex and Wells Fargo propel?

Message 9 of 21
digitek
Established Contributor

LOL man you're the one with the WF Propel card you tell me =D

Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.