Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best travel/rewards card out there...

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Best travel/rewards card out there...

my gf is looking for the best travel card.  her score is the 750's.

Message 1 of 19
18 REPLIES 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best travel/rewards card out there...

Income?

Length of her credit history?

Utilization?

Any negative remarks?

Flying out of?

Any destinations in mind?

Is she able to meet the minimum spend for signup bonuses?

Message 2 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah this is an in depth conversation, much more information is needed.  There are many fantastic cards, but one thing is definitely for certain, make sure you get a good signup bonus.

Message 3 of 19
Closingracer99
Valued Contributor

My travel cards is:

Thank you premier: for all my travel purchases with it's 3X points on Travel

Citi AAdvantage for the 50,000 signup bonus plus the perks like the free bags and piority boarding

Citi, Amex Hilton cards: I prefer Hilton and got around 100,000 points between the signup bonuses.

My Cards: Amex BCE: $9,000, Amex Hilton HHonors: $2,000, Amex ED: $12,000, Barclays NFL extra points: $3,000, Bank of America MLB cash rewards: $17,000, BBVA compass NBA Amex triple double rewards: $17,000, Chase Amazon: $1,000, Chase Freedom: $9,000, Chase Sapphire: $5,000, Chase Slate: $5,000, Chase Disney: $4,000, Citi Double Cash: $5,400, Citi AA plat: $5,500, Citi Simplicity: $3,000, Citi Thank you preferred: $8,800, Capital one GM: $2,000, Capital one PlayStation: $3,000, Gamestop: $1,150, Amazon Store: $5,000, Ebay MasterCard: $5,000, American Eagle Storecard: $750, Macy's: $500
EX: 744, TU:750, EQ: 740
Message 4 of 19
RonM21
Valued Contributor

This will take a bit more info for more suggestions that will cater to her needs.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 5 of 19
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

That's such a broad question without more detailed info.  I love having the Virgin America travel card because it's my favorite airline out there and it flies to the places I have to travel the most, especially Los Angeles to New York which I do frequently and it has hubs in both locations.  I can also use it for Virgin Atlantic which use to fly to London once or twice a year to see my family.  On the flip side, many may find the VA card useless to them or not enough rewards for them to want to add it to their portfolio.  The card simply works for me and I'm attached to the airline, thus the value of the card to me.

Without knowing where you're located, where your gf travels to the most and what airlines she likes to frequent it's almost impossible to wisely suggest what card fits her travel profile, the spend she can afford to get the sign up miles and what airlines are her favorites.  Suggesting a card for her is akin to blindly pulling one out of a hat.  More info required most definitely.

Message 6 of 19
Dahlia77
Regular Contributor

That's such a broad question without more detailed info.  I love having the Virgin America travel card because it's my favorite airline out there and it flies to the places I have to travel the most, especially Los Angeles to New York which I do frequently and it has hubs in both locations.  I can also use it for Virgin Atlantic which I can use to fly to London once or twice a year to see my family.  On the flip side, many may find the VA card useless to them or not enough rewards for them to want to add it to their portfolio.  The card simply works for me and I'm attached to the airline, thus the value of the card to me.

Without knowing where you're located, where your gf travels to the most and what airlines she likes to frequent it's almost impossible to wisely suggest what card fits her travel profile, the spend she can afford to get the sign up miles and what airlines are her favorites.  Suggesting a card for her is akin to blindly pulling one out of a hat.  More info required most definitely.

Message 7 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

my gf is looking for the best travel card.  her score is the 750's.

In short, there is no such thing as the 'best'' travel card.  As others have said much more information is needed.  What is the the best travel card for one person can be completely useless to the next person.  Is she looking for an airline card, a hotel card, or a general travel card? She needs to determine, based on where she lives, the airline(s) that serve that area and travel to her expected destinations.  Is air travel gong to be domestic or international.  How much does she travel?  How much does she spend on credit cards?  Existing credit cards?  Here is a post that is a good starting point.  If she or you provides the requested details we certainly can give her suggestions:

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Guide-to-travel-cards/m-p/2918668

Message 8 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

1. American Express Platinum

2. Chase Saphire Preferred
Message 9 of 19
Berk
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
1. American Express Platinum

2. Chase Saphire Preferred

Based on what exactly?

Message 10 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.