Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best type of Amex card to get

tag
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Best type of Amex card to get

Hello,

I've after having really **bleep** credit I got approved for the zync card. ( I had just paid off charge offs a couple months previously) It is a bad card but hey its an amex. Now they cancelled it (the card itself not my card) I'm also an authorized user on another person's green card. I know everyone has different needs but someone someone who doesn't have a small business what should be the next card I should try to get? My own approved green card, the blue card with a limit?

Tips?

Message 1 of 33
32 REPLIES 32
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Re: Best type of Amex card to get

Since you applied for your Zync card last year, I would go with the Gold Prefered card, if the first annual fee is waived. You get backdating goodness since it January. Hold both cards till next year, then decide how you want to proceed. Low AF, High AF with good benefits, or no AF if you move onto a revolver or another free first year no AF card. 

I say keep the Zync card since you allready paid its low AF, and why create a short tradeline that may raise flags under manual reviews. If you PC to a card you will probably get stuck with another AF so its best just too add another card since its  a SP if you are denied and you can PC then if you want too. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 2 of 33
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Sorry but what does pc mean

My credit is better now but it still has only been a year since all those charge-offs would it be hard to get the gold?

Are the blue or credit cards any good?

Message 3 of 33
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

pc = product change

All. Charge cards have the same underwriter requirements at least for the basic charge cards green, gold, platinum the only difference is the! Af

the blue is an okay. Card I have it rewards aren't great the blue cash card is better both are reevolvers and need around a 700 fico to be approved

Send from phone editing sucks on this little keyboard
Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 4 of 33
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Thanks!

Message 5 of 33
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

To answer this question, we really need to know how much you're spending, and what you're spending it on.  Also whether you prefer the pay-in-full nature of the charge cards, or whether you'd like more flexibility to pay over time.

The choice between Amex cards is mostly in the rewards structure, and for some the Zync isn't a bad card at all; for others, they can absolutely do better either in one of the higher tier charge products as has been recommended, or in one of the revolvers.

        
Message 6 of 33
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

I spend mostly 2-3 a month on my amex. Bills, food, things from stores

Message 7 of 33
SpiceIslander
Frequent Contributor

Personally, BCP is my everyday favorite. Grocery stores 6%, gas/dept. stores 3% and 1% everywhere else.It fits well with my spending. Sure there's the 75.00 AF but I've had the card just since last August and I've racked up over 400.00 so far in bonus + rewards. Enough to offset AF for 5 years!

Meg.

FICO: 4/2016 - TU 841 | EQ 840 | EX 837

FNBO 23,600 | Amex SPG 13,900 | Amex BCP 13,400 | Barclays/Sallie Mae13,000 | Discover IT 12,500 | Lowes 10,000 | PLOC 9,300 | NASA FCU 8,700 | Citi Simplicity 6,200 | BOA Platinum+ 6,000 | Achieva CU 5,500 | Chase CSP 5,000 | Sam's Club 3,000 | Sears 900
Message 8 of 33
ramblin_wreck08
Regular Contributor

If you're spending that much I would recommend the Premier Rewards Gold card. $30k spend in a year gets you 15,000 bonus points, which would essentially pay for the AF. Combined with the 1, 2, 3 point structure and you can rack up points quickly. I love mine and am pleased with my rewards despite not hitting $30k in a year. Even at $15-$20k, I feel like I'm getting my money's worth out of the AF.
Amex BCP $20k | PenFed Platinum Rewards VS $16.5k | Amex HHonors $10k
Message 9 of 33
idonthaveaname
New Contributor

Well I generally spend that much, but next year I'm not sure probably at least 1k a month though. I'm worried since while my payment history with american express is excelletn and I have been approved for the zynccard I don't want to get denied for another rewards card if i tried

Message 10 of 33
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.