cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to apply for Arrival, BCP, Freedom?

tag
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

Best way to apply for Arrival, BCP, Freedom?

Waiting to join 700 club after my statements over the next two cycles report a decrease in usage from 50 to 7% ...

Last app was Jul 16 ... I have 1 inq on EQ, 4 on TU and 2 on EX. Oldest account is 15 months old, AAoA is 0.6 years, income $60K * No baddies

I've been spending close to $1800 on my Amex Green and making timely payments. Utilization on my Discover was high at 65% because I took advantage of 0% for 14 months offer to do a suspension overhaul of my 03' BMW, but I've finally reduced that to 325/2500. I was going to zero everything but I read somewhere here that overall utilization should be 7%. But I digress...

So, from what I hear about Barclays, I should apply first w/ a (  TU FICO of around 715 ) since they are sensitive to new accounts, then Chase ( sensitive to uti ) and Amex last, since I have history with them?

Anyone get approved for the Arrival with a similar profile and relatively thin file? Also, should I be expecting some auto luv on my Discover at the 5 month mark? I think that a higher limit on that card would look good to other creditors  in my next app spree Smiley Happy

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
kaskuli
Regular Contributor

Re: Best way to apply for Arrival, BCP, Freedom?

Don't all answer at once!Smiley Surprised

$26500 Amex EDP / $20000 Merrill+ / $12000 Chase Sapphire Preferred / $12000 Chase British Airways / $7500 Barclays Arrival+ / $7500 FIA Amex / $7500 Paypal Extras MC / $7000 Chase Freedom / $3500 Discover It
Message 2 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

Freedom first then BCP then arrival. But I wouldn't do all three at first. I'd probably freedom and BCP first, 6 months then arrival.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 14
bribro
Valued Contributor

If you are looking to do all three within a short time frame (<3 months), Arrival first, then Freedom, then BCP. Arrival first because they are inquiriy sensitive, Freedom next because Chase has good recon, and AmEx last because they also have decent recon and if you get denied it will only be an SP.

TU FICO: 800 (2/1/14) | CK Score: 802 (2/1/14) | CS Score: 805 (2/1/14)

J.P. Morgan Palladium ($250k) | AmEx Platinum (NPSL) | AmEx SPG Personal/Business ($50k/$50k) | Citi Executive AAdvantage WEMC ($50k) | Citi Dividend WEMC ($50k) | Chase Sapphire Preferred VS ($50k) | Chase Ink Bold WEMC ($50k Flex) | Chase Ink Plus WEMC ($25k) | Chase Freedom VS ($25k) | Chase Freedom WMC ($25k) | Chase MileagePlus Explorer ($25k) | Chase Southwest RR Plus Business/Personal ($15k/$15k) | Barclays US Airways ($25k) | Barclays Hawaiian Airlines ($25k) | BofA Alaska Airlines ($10k) | Lexus Financial Services ($30k) | Mercedes-Benz Financial Services ($50k)
Message 4 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I would do Freedom first as in my experience from my spree I found Chase to be way more inq sensitive than Barclays.....Barclays was #6 in serie and I still got approved with 10K after manual review but no recon while Freedom had to be reconed with 2 x double pulls and awful terms/APR...so I had a whole bunch of inq when I apped for the Arrival....they did not seem to care....but I guess it is a YMMV thing.
Message 5 of 14
Duncanrr
Valued Contributor

@bribro wrote:

If you are looking to do all three within a short time frame (<3 months), Arrival first, then Freedom, then BCP. Arrival first because they are inquiriy sensitive, Freedom next because Chase has good recon, and AmEx last because they also have decent recon and if you get denied it will only be an SP.

I completely disagree with this.  The reason being is that while you may get the Arrival card doing it this way, the second Barclays sees all the subsequent inquiries then they may close your newly opened account.  Id rather get the other cards first and then defend (on recon) my recent inquiries with Barclays when I tried to get Arrival.  Barclay has AA'd accounts that added inquiries too soon after they get one of their cards.

Starting Score: EQ 551 TU 548 CK 607on 6/8/12, EX 542(AMEX pull 3/4/12)
Current Score: EQ 808 TU --- EX --- CK 804(FAKO-EX 821, EQ 823, TU 803)
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 6 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Duncanrr wrote:

@bribro wrote:

I completely disagree with this.  The reason being is that while you may get the Arrival card doing it this way, the second Barclays sees all the subsequent inquiries then they may close your newly opened account.  Id rather get the other cards first and then defend (on recon) my recent inquiries with Barclays when I tried to get Arrival.  Barclay has AA'd accounts that added inquiries too soon after they get one of their cards.

I don't think Barclay's does AR on all breaus.

Even if they did, I think you're mistaken in assuming that they wouldn't consider tradelines and inquiries the day before Arrival or the day after as not the same from a risk analysis perspective.  The tradelines are all going to report as opening on the same month anyway statistically on the bureaus.

Depending on where the OP lives is going to determine the statistical likihood of the inquiry distribution.  I haven't checked recently but I think Barclay's is still primarily TU pulling regardess, whereas Amex and Chase have a higher incidence rate of overlap especially if you live in an EX area like I do.

Also, and I have no real evidence for this but I suspect that a lot of the random sprees for GE-backed cards (which incidently also wind up on TU typically) is going to spook Barclays differently than seeing new tradelines with Amex / Chase.  Could be mistaken about this, but when a consumer gets to this credit tier it's just different than the general store tier in my estimation.

In any event, I'm assuming the OP in this case by the post knows about Barclay's paranoia: if it's included in a spree, Barclays is going to do what Barclays is going to do either positive or negative.  My theory on it anyway, personally in their situation I'd still spree it if I wanted all three tradelines with the usual caveats.

        
Message 7 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

I can confirm that Barclays AR are not only on TU...they did AR on EX for my Arrival twice in the past 6 months....just survived my 6th statement today without AA...LOL
Message 8 of 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@lg8302ch wrote:
I can confirm that Barclays AR are not only on TU...they did AR on EX for my Arrival twice in the past 6 months....just survived my 6th statement today without AA...LOL

Heh, even more paranoid than I thought Smiley Happy

So Barclay's will eventually see all the inquiries explicitly regardless (QED from new tradelines anyway), and make any AA decision based on that.  Out of curiosity what was Barclay's distribution of AR's in the first two months if you have it in your records?

        
Message 9 of 14
lg8302ch
Senior Contributor

@ Revelate
yep...and now wish me luck as I did call BofA to match the Arrival limit for the Cash rewards and the Travel Rewards..10K approved on both cards...hope this will not spook Barclays now as I already got the Chase Marriott with 16K two weeks ago. For sure no experiments for me in the near future...Discover will have to wait Smiley Happy
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.