elim
Senior Contributor

Re: Best way to maximize points to pay for vacation

@Anonymous wrote:

@elim wrote:

what airport are you flying from?

what dates?

It would be from DEN next March

i know SW flies to Curacao and they have a great Marriott.    i lived there 6 years and it is the larger of the 3 ABC islands.   it's pretty cheap and as long as you love diving and cruising... it's a great place

Aruba is the same but geared more toward tourists. 

don't forget you can transfer UR's to Avios and fly 2 people round trip up to 3000 miles (boston to dublin,   LA to hawaii) for 50k UR's.  you can use your SW miles to get to a coastal city and UR's for the big hop.  then get a Marriott you can afford or use "points and pay" for a nice stay (don't forget Marriott gives free upgrade, i looooooooove those upgrades!).

Message 13 of 30
IWOL
Established Contributor

You can get a a Grand Ocean Front Suite at the JW Marriot which is a cetgory 8 hotel in March 2016 for 5 nights for 160,000 points plus $900.

The rack rate for that room is $609 a night which would be $3045 so you woudl be getting around $2100 value for the 160,000 points which is pretty good for Marriot points I believe.

If you dont want to spend the $900 you can get a standard room for 160,000 points for the 5 nights. If ypuve never been to Cancun, it has the most beautiful beaches in the world in my opinion. Food and drink are relatively inexpensive there and the night life is great. Lots of great excursions to do and teh flights form Denver are likely to be much cheaper than  to the Carribean. I believe United flies direct form Denver.

Message 14 of 30
elim
Senior Contributor

have you thought of a cruise?  i have done a few and they are great honeymoon trips.   you are well taken care of and plenty of rum punches and room time.

also Boston to Dublin then a quick $100 round trip to Paris.  that would do the trick

Message 15 of 30
IWOL
Established Contributor

You can fly on a United Saver Award direct from Denver to Cancun for 34K miles roundtrip. So if you transferred 70K from UR to United that would cover your plane tickets.

Then with the 75k Marriot points you could get a 4 night stay at JW Marriot in a standard room for 80K ponts plus $664.

Message 16 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

You guys have great suggestions! May I ask what Avios are?

Message 17 of 30
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't transfer UR points without a CSP or Chase Ink Plus (business card).  Otherwise, it's just cash back.  Using the chase travel portal?

Signature needs updating
Message 18 of 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

You can't transfer UR points without a CSP or Chase Ink Plus (business card).  Otherwise, it's just cash back.  Using the chase travel portal?

I just got a CSP so I'm good there. I haven't used the travel portal before but I will if it's a good deal!

Message 19 of 30
Imperfectfuture
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Imperfectfuture wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I just got a CSP so I'm good there. I haven't used the travel portal before but I will if it's a good deal!

Don't use them myself.  Amex has better, and alaska airlines is having really good sale.  Better to transfer points out.  If I don't get the CSP in 2017, will go for alaska airlines card.

Signature needs updating
Message 20 of 30
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.