Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to "shred" a CC?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Re: Best way to "shred" a CC?

Well, I've heard that there are people who go through trash. I don't know if there's truth to it or not, but I thought by your post, you meant a week in between when the garbage is picked up -- just to be on the safe side.

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 11 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

Well, I've heard that there are people who go through trash. I don't know if there's truth to it or not, but I thought by your post, you meant a week in between when the garbage is picked up -- just to be on the safe side.

The time between trash pick ups definitely needs to be taken into account because as you say there are people who go through trash.

Message 12 of 22
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

I'd take the cards out to the shooting range and run a few rounds thru, that usually make nice big holes  Smiley Wink

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 13 of 22
visorboy1974
Valued Contributor

Shredder or scissors work fine for me.  

FICO Scores Updated 07/15 EQ08 748 EX08 748 TU08 818
Message 14 of 22
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thank you for everyone's ideas!  I really liked the idea of putting the pieces in different trash cans, so that the pieces can't be put back together. 4 slices are in my garbage now and the rest will be in next week's garbage. Smiley Tongue

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 15 of 22
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

What about cards like the CSP? How do you shred those? Smiley Sad
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 16 of 22
LS2982
Mega Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

I haven't had CCs for so long, this wasn't an issue. I used to just cut them in half and throw them away. But now, with so much CC fraud, identity theft, and internet sales (so the physical card isn't even needed!), I am not sure the best way to destroy a CC. It's actually an expired debit card that I have to toss, but same principle applies.

BTW, I know people talk about shredding them, but my shredder couldn't shred a CC -- only paper. So I figured that's just a figure of speech. Smiley Tongue

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Spend $30 bucks and get a good shredder that can cut vertically and horizontally and do credit cards. Best option out there other than attcking it with scissors!

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 17 of 22
MrShush
Valued Contributor

@bichonmom wrote:

Great idea for an invention:  a miniature paper-cutter, designed just for credit cards, with multiple blades that go down and slice the CC into small 1/4" slices. Smiley Happy

Sorry bichonmom, some one beat you to it Smiley Wink

http://www.uncommongoods.com/reviews/pwr/product-reviews/desktop/office-tools/p/17291-SHREDDER-SCISS...

Message 18 of 22
ChesterPDexter
Established Contributor

I think if you're cutting them up because they're cancelled, there's not a big risk of anyone searching throught a trash truck or landfill and putting pieces together, is there?  Which seems unlikely, anyway.

I'm too lazy to place pieces in different trash cans, but (since I ruined my shredder by shredding cards), I do something like this:

Cut horizontally through the account number, then vertically so that's in at least four pieces.  Then I cut through my name , also.  I don't like my full name being out there in the trash, even.

I think that's it.  Maybe I destroy the expiration date or the security code.  I think about six pieces is suffiicient, and then it goes deep into the trash (with small children around, you want to make sure no sharp pieces are left - those can be pretty pointy.)

Contributor

I also burn them in a bonfire. No one will ever get my info.

Starting Score: EQ 729 TU 727
Current Score: Ex (AMEX) 765 EQ 734 TU 736
Goal Score: 780+

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 20 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.