Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to "shred" a CC?

tag
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Best way to "shred" a CC?

I haven't had CCs for so long, this wasn't an issue. I used to just cut them in half and throw them away. But now, with so much CC fraud, identity theft, and internet sales (so the physical card isn't even needed!), I am not sure the best way to destroy a CC. It's actually an expired debit card that I have to toss, but same principle applies.

BTW, I know people talk about shredding them, but my shredder couldn't shred a CC -- only paper. So I figured that's just a figure of speech. Smiley Tongue

Thanks! Smiley Happy

EQ FICO 750 | TU FICO 761 (Walmart) | EX FAKO 767 | Goal: 800+

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to "shred" a CC?

I shred them in my shredder Smiley Wink It's a crappy $25 shredder I bought from Amazon, but it'll chew threw credit cards or a couple of pieces of paper at a time.

Realistically, you could just cut the card with scissors and throw the pieces in two separate trash cans. Or if you have a fire place, burn it. The magnetic strip and embossed card number regions are the only important ones anyway, you could cut those from the card, toss the rest of the plastic, and then destroy those two sections as you see fit.

Message 2 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

I haven't had CCs for so long, this wasn't an issue. I used to just cut them in half and throw them away. But now, with so much CC fraud, identity theft, and internet sales (so the physical card isn't even needed!), I am not sure the best way to destroy a CC. It's actually an expired debit card that I have to toss, but same principle applies.

BTW, I know people talk about shredding them, but my shredder couldn't shred a CC -- only paper. So I figured that's just a figure of speech. Smiley Tongue

Thanks! Smiley Happy

My old shredder won't work on CC's either so I go low tech with a pair of scissors. I cut the card into 5 equal pieces. I put piece #1, #3, and #5 in the trash that day. In a week or so I will throw away piece #2 and #4. That way the separate pieces can never be put together.

This works for me so I'm happy with it. I can't see buying a new shredder just for CC's.

Outyped by Andy!!

Message 3 of 22
Skinnyminnie
Regular Contributor

I remember one time I was up in the mountains with a friend during a nice snowstorm.  We decided we'd try to play survivor men and tried starting a fire with various things on our body.  Turns out the debit card made the best starter.  Better than the wet twigs and sock!

Message 4 of 22
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll do what MV said. It's kind of silly to have to wait a week in between throwing it away, but better safe than sorry! Tomorrow's trash day, so I'm headed out to the garbage. Smiley Wink

Edits, funky spacing and spelling due to my iPad not getting along with the forum editor!

Message 5 of 22
Anonymous
Not applicable

I cut down the numbers, then throw one half in one trash can, and one half in either another totally seperate one, or down the toilet, so the whole card cannot be put back together.

Yay ingenuity! 

Message 6 of 22
frogfan12
Established Contributor

I just cut my CCs up into a lot of small pieces. No shredder necessary. Smiley Happy

Starting Score: 760
Current Score: 716 Equifax 754 TU 736 Experian
Goal Score: 760
Message 7 of 22
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

..... down the toilet    ....

Yay ingenuity! 

Bad Idea!   Some risk of causing a clog.  

Message 8 of 22
bichonmom
Senior Contributor

Great idea for an invention:  a miniature paper-cutter, designed just for credit cards, with multiple blades that go down and slice the CC into small 1/4" slices. Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 22
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@bichonmom wrote:

Thanks, everyone! I think I'll do what MV said. It's kind of silly to have to wait a week in between throwing it away, but better safe than sorry! Tomorrow's trash day, so I'm headed out to the garbage. Smiley Wink

I said a week but in truth around my house the trash has to be taken out much more frequently than once a week.  Smiley Happy

Another thing I do sometimes is toss several of the pieces in the bottom of my shredder. It's usually several weeks before I empty that out so that's a safe solution also IMO.

Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.