Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to receive Discover CLI

tag
Clockworkz
New Contributor

Best way to receive Discover CLI

So I got approved for a discover it chrome with student and I got a paltry SL of 500$, so I ask you credit gods what is the best way/ better chance to receive a CLI either auto or initiated online? I have been using it heavy up to max and making full payments (only did this twice so far).

Is it better to use it heavy or what? Just looking to grow this card the most because it gives some of the best cashback.

Starting Score: 588
Current Score: 672
Goal Score: 750

Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Best way to receive Discover CLI

Use and pay every month works for most.  After 90 days you can ask for a CLI.

Message 2 of 11
Clockworkz
New Contributor

Awesome, yeah I was wondering if pay in full after I max it out was better or if leaving some of the charges on the bill after it hits was better etc.

Want to make sure I grow this card the best I can.

Is it 90 days from approval or 90 from card activation?

Message 3 of 11
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Ah, the age-old question. No one can seem to lock down the answer with certainty lol. In my experience, Disco likes heavy (HEAVY) usage and paying it off quickly. Although I’ve carried a balance and gotten good CLIs too. I guess you could say that Disco is pretty forgiving and lenient. Any form of responsible use will get you an increase, I’d say. 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 4 of 11
Clockworkz
New Contributor

So best thing make payment early to use more before the bill hits. I will be paying off again here tonight then.

Message 5 of 11
Remedios
Credit Mentor

There really is no way to "make" them give you a CLI. Sometimes they do and it's glorious. Other times, not so much 

In my case, they were very generous for a while...then came crickets and punishing silence 

Since September, I've tried love button, horoscope, reading tea leaves, voodoo dolls, tarot cards. I haven't contacted a psychic yet. 

Bottom line, use the card for rewards, dont worry about CLI.  Your finances come first. Try after 3rd statement. 

Hopefully we'll see CLI approval threads from you 

Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Clockworkz wrote:
... Is it 90 days from approval or 90 from card activation?

Neither. Discover uses calendar months -- 3 are needed. For example: approved for card on May 21st, eligible for CLI on August 1st.

Here is a write-up of my 75 day CLI.

Good luck!

Message 7 of 11
kdm31091
Super Contributor

Don't get too caught up in CLI "schedules" or "methods"; just use your card responsibly, pay the bill, and your behavior will likely be rewarded over time.

Message 8 of 11
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Honestly I have found discover to be the most no rhythm or reason card I own. They are completely underpredictable,  nobody really has them figured out😕

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 9 of 11
Clockworkz
New Contributor

@kdm31091 wrote:

Don't get too caught up in CLI "schedules" or "methods"; just use your card responsibly, pay the bill, and your behavior will likely be rewarded over time.

Yeah true, I just hate the low SL so I was just caught up in HOW to get a CLI not necessarily the easiest but the most efficiently. I only ever try to use my cards only if I have the money in my bank to pay off soon as i dislike interest.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.