cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BestBuy Credit Card Knowledge Base. APP/DEN Info: Help Me, Help the MyFico Community!

tag
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

BestBuy Credit Card Knowledge Base. APP/DEN Info: Help Me, Help the MyFico Community!

BestBuy Portfolios transferred from HSBC (crap starting limits) --> CAP1 (No CLI's) --> Citi (idk Credit-Experts lets Chime in!)

Thoughts? (Hit Command and F together and type in [Summarized Sweet Version*] to skip to the (point) if you don't like the narratives or sataric reads from me Smiley Happy

Lol it's a lot of Best Buy Hysteria going on.

My experience ====> Always wanted a BML account for the invisble TL to hide big balances, when I spend a lot! (About to go on a shopping spree), but when I got declined I then thought about the BestBuy 18 month 0% financing. I've always wanted a best buy card since I spend $3,000 bi-yearly. I just know they have been stingy with their limits due to the lenders providing the cards, and (No one can ever get approved for that God D*** Platinum card that) "everyone supposedly gets considered for at first (Will get into that in a little bit) hahahahh

BB Card History (For Many)
Anyways I've been looking around this forum and I first heard how everyone talked about how crap HSBC was; due to the low lines of credit they extended us, even thought we had good history and great fico scores+income. Then Cap1 took over and man ole' man, it's bad enough that we couldn't get high starting credit limits from HSBC, but now we can't get CLI's at all applied to the low line of credit extended to us by crap HSBC!!!!!!!! (God D*** BBY you let those plotting Marketing Directors plan this, they schemed on us and was successful in their attempts! Because you know how Capital One was/currently is:

"The Capital One account is not currently eligible for a credit line increase upon request. We're reviewing our policy for increasing credit limits. While we do this, we won't be able to offer you more credit."

Hehehehehehe I know either chuckles came from most of you guys when you read that quote, or dreaded memories of those moments when you would open up that denial letter from Cap1, or when a notification would pop up on your phone stating "A new document is waiting for you online" knowing the outcome already and you still would go online and click on "statement and documents," and see all those CLI denials with that quote at the bottom of the letter, right before you checked the new document that just got added, stating the same thing. LOL Man ole' man Thank god for the EO office, and whoever discovered that right!? It was kind of like when they kicked bush out of the office, and everyone had that sigh of relief! (Refreshing) It just bought hope to the community, well for people who didn't mind going forward with Cap1!

Anyways were at a stand still.........

No wait there is hope, Chase is offering the BB Card, (No no no, you know how Chase hates being the guinea pigs!! If HSBC and Cap1 are going to give us cards with crap limits and no hopes for increases, chase is sure in the H*ll are not going to start doing it, and be the only one's on reports from Bestbuy with high limits!) Okay I lied, they did do it back in the day (Circuit city) but you needed a 700+ to get it!!! OMG how am I going to get that score!.. Uhhh....

Okay I got it, What the H*ll no more circuit city!!!!!!!? Oh so now Chase is no longer taking apps for the card? Oh that's great. It's cool I didn't want the card from them anyway.

Pshhhh...

Beginning of 2013 Comes

Rumors are spreading..... : "So I hear people are starting to get good limits with Cap1 2k, 3k etc. While people in the past our stuck on that $100 CL. Are you serious I can't even buy some chips and cookies from Best Buy without nearly maxing out my card!? No hope.... But hey mixed emotions and confusion is everywhere. Don't worry it is not just you and I! That's what the credit junkies are here for! (Man thank god for them Credit Junkies!) Yes Cap1 is being more generous with extending higher limits, idk maybe it is false, maybe people are starting very low but abusing the Cap1's EO office powers. Hey I heard stories about people around here getting multiples CLI's through Cap 1's EO office in 4-5 month time span, but maybe its just rumors! 

(Then the Credit experts come in and clear the rumors)

Hello?

Don't worry I'm the researcher; the sponge waiting for the water. And I can sit here for ever, so don't worry I'll wait until your ready to spill the knowledge, so I can soak it all up!

Credit Experts: Cap 1 is selling the BB Portfolio to Citi. <----- Ahhhhh so thats whats going on!!!!!! Yep. (Finally Peace of Mind!)

My knowledge: The transition has happened. And man it is easy to get the store card because you can apply now. You can apply for all 4 cards (Most likely you will get approved for the store card, and at a decent limit at that! Sure all are worries are over. To get a best buy card, its not as complicated, and now when you take the risk at least you have 4 chances, oops I mean 3! ;x

Okay I lied; 3 chances, and the 1st chance of those 3 are "way lower" then the second two last numbers stated in this sentence by a lot. --> -.-

So about this Platinum Card, even with Citi taking over, I still have not seen nor heard of success of getting this card. (I think its a myth) I have called best buy credit department for 2 hours now and spoke with 7-8 different analyst, and everyone confirms that, that card is impossible/hard to get. Futhermore, no one should hope to attain the platinum card and should have very low hope in getting the gold card, because they come with limits that are very low, and with high APR's and without the special BB financing so trying to PC to that card will not happen, and attaining that card should be the last thing on your mind folks. I can't confirm these limit restrictions (as in the highest limit you can get) but one representative said $1,000, and others didn't comment. They didn't even comment on the requirements needed to get this card. To add to it 4-5 of them recommended that people should get the store card, b/c it is easier to attain, and comes with the financing offer, and you are more likely to get a pretty high starting line with Citi. Furthermore, I advise you ask for more credit within 30 days of getting approved throught the Citi CSR line, w/ a soft pull! (Will go into more detail below)

Matter-of-Fact*:

Basically Crap 1 & HSBC (Minus the EO office, because they are very nice people and generous and understand our personal goals and helps us achieve it, without the headaches/complicated process in a short turn-around-time) are no longer in control of the BB Portfolio's. Citi Is!

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

Re: BestBuy Credit Card Knowledge Base. APP/DEN Info: Help Me, Help the MyFico Community!

***PLEASE READ BELOW BEFORE LEAVING THIS POST IF IT APPLIES TO YOU***
Anyways I hope this post helped people out, and if not at least made you laugh. If you already went through this process, or have applied recently, or plan on asking for a CLI can you please post your credit stats during the time of your application, and the BB card you got approved for, the starting CL, which Credit Bureau they pulled from, your success with attempting to go through any part of this process, if your going to try. (Hey it's a soft why not!!) And anything else you can think of that might help out! Credit Experts please Chime in, ask me questions about anything in my storyline, or point out somehting you feel isn't correct or if you just have an opinion on something I can/should change! Or even if you want to +1 for validity of some or part of the post, or need me to verify something. Will be glad to do what I can to help, and answer as many questions as possible!

My stats as follows during APP

Income: 43k-> (APP 48k Inc Bonus)
Rent: $0 (Mentioned since I'm in school I don't have to pay rent)
CR History: 2 Years
AAOA: 1 year
Inquiries in last 2 years: EX: 13 EQ: 13 TU: 12
Inquiries in last 1year: Ex: 7 EQ: 6 TU: 4 (Auto Loan explained)
Inquiries in last 6 months: Ex: 7 EQ: 9 TU: 9
Scores: Ex: 731 EQ: 742 TU: 727
Util: 4%
CC's held during app: AMEX BCP: 10.5k Chase Freedom: 5k DCU Plat: 3k Walmart Discover: 2k Cap1 Journey: 1.5k Macy's: $900

CC Issued: BB Store Card
Approved on: 8/31 (Instantly)
CLI Approved on: 8/31 (Instantly From Somebody in the Big Ticket through Citi department)
CB Pulled from: Both Experian & Transunion (8/31)
Starting CL: 4.5k
SP?or HP? & Increased to?: SP -> Inc to $7.5k (Could of been 10k, if I asked the nice guy from the big ticket to increase to me to 10k)

Go ahead plug in those results! =)

Income: 
Rent:  
CR History:  
AAOA: 
Inquiries in last 2 years: 
Inquiries in last 1year: 
Inquiries in last 6 months: 
Scores: 
Util: 
CC's held during app: 

CC Issued: 
Approved on: 
CLI Approved on: 
CB Pulled from: 
Starting CL: 
SP?or HP? & Increased to?: 

20 Years & 1 Month Young; Total Income: $53k (Credit History): 1.9 years AAOA: 1.0 years
Fico Scores: Exp: 725 (12/4) EQ: 703 (11/13) TU: 736 (12/6) Total Credit Available: 89k
Wallet: AmEx Plat- NPSL | AmEx BCP $10.5K | BestBuy SC $10k | Duck Card $8k | BoFA CR Plat Plus Sig. $5k | Discover IT $6k | Chase Freedom Sig. $7k | CSP Sig. $5k | USBank Cash+ Sig. $5k | Barclays R MC $5k | Chevron Visa $5k | BR Visa $5k | Walmart Discover $4k | DCU Plat Visa $3k | QuickSilver CR $3k | Macy's Store CC/Macy's Amex $2.5k/$3k | BML $1.2k | Citi Divi Plat Visa $500
Open Loans: Sallie Mae SL: ($5.6k) (Def.) Car Loan (Red Devil FR-S): $20k/33k Remaining -Will Pay Off in 2yrs. Advice Welcomed!
Message 2 of 7
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

Re: BestBuy Credit Card Knowledge Base. APP/DEN Info: Help Me, Help the MyFico Community!

Update: 9/4 (Will update on the regular please post results/ submit corrections so I can keep it updated and make changes promptly.) Smiley Wink

Summarized Sweet Version*:

Citi is now the main Lender for BestBuy Cards. (Yayyy!)

Citi BB App. Is now worth the inquiry, and I feel if you want a BB *STORE* card, now is the time to apply. Approval Rate is higher, and denial rate has gone down dramatically plus they will start you off with a good CL.

"Big Ticket" - Is an actual department, and if you mention it they will know what your talking about as they use the term freely. "Big Ticket" is a higher department that handles Big Credit Limit Increases at any given time throughout your relationship with CITI BBY, and also for high risk accounts, and are there to do anything the analyst can't do They can basically override everything in that computer. "Their like the Cap1 EO" (Currently attempting to get their number)

APR Reductions: Can't be lowered at all. Smiley Mad

They Traditionally Pulls from: TU primarily (They use TU Vantage Score (501-990), if you need to find out what that is go to TU site, as they don't use fico), and Pulls Ex if TU doesn't provide enough info. 

Got denied? Call here: 

New Accounts BBY(APP/Den + Recon Line)1 (888) 908-0031
****They only pull again if your account is new, and it is not enough information on the TU report!!!!*** Recon success is very high atm. (Posting results can help keep track of this app/recon success)

Citi Pull Policy (As of now) Senior Analyst stated that once the relationship is established they softpull throughout the duration of the card life for Credit Limit Increases.

Now once you get approved Citi has a different line for CLI (If your unhappy with your current CL extended to you by Citi).
Number is BBY CC Citi Line 1( 888) 574-1301

At this number you will be connected to an analyst, they are very friendly, nice and knowledgeable of everything. They typically can grant you a CLI on spot, but if your account is high risk or new, they will transfer you to the big ticket, and they will be the ones to let you know the decision for your request. My advice, aim high because at the big ticket if you meet those requirements you will get it, and for now the requirements don't seem that hard. (Hey I got in)

Two different type of increases:

For low CLI --> When you Call the Number is BBY CC Citi Line, be polite, verify your information, then ask for your CLI right away (once you get approved or within 30 days) Challenge the CL extended to you and ask if you can be softed, or manually reviewed from that recent pull (30 days) plus your income verification (They just ask your income, you don't have to send anything in) and they will offer it, the worse thing they can say is no, and a second inquiry won't be applied (unless they've change this in the past 5 days) O.o Now once you request this they will most likely instantly decline or approve you on spot or if your a high risk asking for such a low CLI they will send it in to be reviewed, for the CLI of your choice.

For Big CLI ---> When you Call the Number is BBY CC Citi Line, be polite, verify your information, then ask for your CLI right away (once you get approved or within 30 days) Challenge the CL extended to you and ask if you can be softed, or manually reviewed from that recent pull (30 days) plus your income verification (They just ask your income, you don't have to send anything in) and they will offer it, the worse thing they can say is no, and a second inquiry won't be applied (unless they've change this in the past 5 days) O.o Now once you request this they will most likely transfer you to the "BIG TICKET" and they are genuinely nice. Summarize your reason why your calling once again if the analyst doesn't do it for you, and provide the reason in a high compelling order (what sounds the best to make this limit appropriate for your situation, that you somehow managed in the past or w.e. the reasons may be.) and if it tickles their pickle your in luck, because you can move forward in the process. They will ask your income along with reading you a disclosure and during this time make sure you mention if they can use that recent pull, and if it is confirmed, go along with the process and you should be instantly notified on whether or not the credit can be extended to you.

Note: If you get turned down please come back to this post and chime in on what happens so we can see what we must do next. At that point I would ask that person as many questions as possible to get some answers to questions people might ask here! If you get accepted please confirm this process, and add changes or little twist and turns/ dudas or shortcuts that you came in contact with during the process so corrections can be made! As I honestly want to figure this BB hysteria. Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 7
Anthonykc
New Contributor

I like this, I'll try after work. However I was approved last week for store card of $2,000
Current Score: 715 Goal Score: 775 Will Garden Soon.

CapitalOne Platinum $1.5K | CapitalOne MTV $1.5K | BestBuy Store $6K | Kays $3.5K | Military Star $2K | DiscoverIT $8K | AMEX BCE $1K Smiley Sad | NFUC Flagship $13.5K | USAA World MC $8K | USAA Rate Adv $8K | CSP 5K 10/2013 | NFCU LOC $10K
Message 4 of 7
Kratos-TM
Frequent Contributor

OP.....are you saying that the CLI on the Cap 1 Best Buy card is a SP?

CSR told me HP if I try....

Myfico scores.....
EX... 805 (11-10-13)
EQ... 810 (12-02-13)
TU... 810 (12-02-13)
Message 5 of 7
Anthonykc
New Contributor

Income: 32K
Rent: $0 
CR History: 5 Years
AAOA: 4 year
Inquiries in last 2 years: I dont keeo track 
Inquiries in last 1year: Ex: 2 EQ: 5 TU: ??
Inquiries in last 6 months: Ex: 2 EQ: 5 TU: ??
Scores: Ex: 721 EQ: 710 TU: ??
Util: not sure.
CC's held during app: AMEX BCE, KAYS, CAP 1 x2, DISCOVER, MILITARY STAR, BB (CAP 1)

CC Issued: BB Store Card (CITI)
Approved on: 8/29 (Instantly)
CLI Approved on: 9/5 (Instantly From Somebody not in the Big Ticket area, the first person helped me)
CB Pulled from: didnt ask.
Starting CL: 2k
SP?or HP? & Increased to?: SP -> Inc to $3k

i didnt want a HP but she stated you might get more if it was a HP but i didnt want to HP first and only get $500 so i went with SP and got $1K which I'm happy about.

THANKS Smiley Happy

Btw is CITI taking over CAP 1 BB STORE CARD?

Current Score: 715 Goal Score: 775 Will Garden Soon.

CapitalOne Platinum $1.5K | CapitalOne MTV $1.5K | BestBuy Store $6K | Kays $3.5K | Military Star $2K | DiscoverIT $8K | AMEX BCE $1K Smiley Sad | NFUC Flagship $13.5K | USAA World MC $8K | USAA Rate Adv $8K | CSP 5K 10/2013 | NFCU LOC $10K
Message 6 of 7
ReaLiLJ
Regular Contributor

@jarroldharrell1 wrote:

OP.....are you saying that the CLI on the Cap 1 Best Buy card is a SP?

CSR told me HP if I try....

@Jarroldharrell1 Sorry for the late response (Only get so much free-time outside of school and work! Smiley Indifferent

But no please don't try to ask for a CLI until Citi has officially transferred Cap1 cards over to them, as the Cap1 cards are still in affect under Capital One until Sept 9/10th I believe, from researching around here and other places. I am advising you not to apply for the CLI through Capital One because they most likely will hard pull you, and it will most likely end in a CLI that was not worth the hard pull since Cap1 is not so generous with giving such high limits. 

What I would do if I were you, is wait until as early as Sept 11th or a week after that, and see if they successfully transferred your profile over, if it's not done automatically. Then call BBY CC Citi Line to confirm that the profile is now under them, (they might send you out a new card, or just let you keep the same card) I have no idea about that one yet, but after you go through that process you can then at the same time, ask for that CLI through them. By now you can follow the Big/Low CLI method (once you feel your credit card profile is up to par), and it should be via a soft, if they do say hard though ask for a huge CLI and in that case they will either approve it or counter you depending on how your credit card profiling is looking at the time of the app. I only say that because you haven't officially started your relationship with Citi yet, and since your going to be new to them, they will most likely hard you, but after that for the life of the relationship they will soft you for CLI. So that first time is worth it, if your credit profile is up to par/in good standing.

Now the alternate option you can do since it takes 2-3 business days to process CLI through the Cap1 EO office, is you can call today and ask for a CLI on your card (via a soft always through the EO, when your asking for a CLI) and they will most likely increase you via the soft and they should be able to increase it right before they do the official switch, but going this route is risky only b/c if you do get the CLI, when it is switched over to Citi, they might see that, and deny your request to them due to the fact that a CLI was just given, even though its two different lenders. Or since their switching soon the CLI window might be closed, You get me? But its up to you, those are my opinions on the routes you can take!

"i didn't want a HP but she stated you might get more if it was a HP but I didn't want to HP first and only get $500 so I went with SP and got $1K which I'm happy about.

Btw is CITI taking over CAP 1 BB STORE CARD?"

@Anthonykc CONGRATS!!!!! Glad to know it worked and via a soft at that!!!!, and yes they are! The switch should be done Sept 10/11th officially. But Mistakes and certain circumstances happen so I'm giving them a week past their official date to officially, *officially* get everything switched over! As chase already discontinued their card Sept 5th!

Once again though congrats on the increase, and enjoy your new CL for now as their are way more to come every 3-4 months via softs! Smiley WinkSmiley Very Happy

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.