cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better card for rebuilding? Capital one platinum or capital one quicksilver one?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Better card for rebuilding? Capital one platinum or capital one quicksilver one?

Which is better: Cap 1 a platinum or Cap 1QS?
DH has a CC with our CU and a Wayfair card. We are trying to add a third revolving credit to help with optimizing his score. He has a car loan with Santander as well so he has the installment loan already.

He is prequalified for both the Capital One Platinum card unsecured and the Capital One QuicksilverOne Cash Rewards Credit Card. Which is the better option. I like the cash back rewards with the QS but the Platinum has no annual fee and offers a potential CLI after 5 months.

End game goal is home mortgage by end of 2020.
16 REPLIES 16
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

Re: Better card for rebuilding? Capital one platinum or capital one quicksilver one?

Personally I think the Plat is better. That’s where a lot of people start. As you said, there’s no AF, which is a huge plus. Here’s the way I see it: with Cap One, a starter card is almost always going to have a low SL and most likely won’t ever grow for you, so I’d rather have the no-AF one. Starter cards are meant to build your credit so you can get a better/rewards card in the FUTURE. I wouldn’t be looking for high rewards with a builder card. 

Good luck! 

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 2 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Better card for rebuilding? Capital one platinum or capital one quicksilver one?

You can upgrade to the regular QS and get the same 1.5% cash back after around 3 statements. The QS1 is near impossible to do an upgrade. Go with the Plat. That's where I started out of BK. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 17
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

With a Pink and Grey Fire Medic, you can't go wrongSmiley Wink
Message 4 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Which is better: Cap 1 a platinum or Cap 1QS?

The qs1 is notoriously hard to PC later, while you can PC the platinum in as little as 3-4 months to a normal qs with no AF. That's what I did for my platinum.

Message 5 of 17
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Re: Which is better: Cap 1 a platinum or Cap 1QS?

I should also note that my wife chose to PC her platinum to a venture1

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

The QS1 is a big trap. They're the hardest to PC to another card later to get out of the AF. Avoid that one at all costs. 

Message 7 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Yep. There are such trucks in pink!

pink.jpg

Message 8 of 17
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The QS1 is a big trap. They're the hardest to PC to another card later to get out of the AF. Avoid that one at all costs. 

You remember what I call the QS1. The BRICK! Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 17
pinkandgrey
Senior Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:

Yep. There are such trucks in pink!

pink.jpg

😮😮😮

Discover It: 21.5k
Amex Cash Magnet: 18k
Fidelity Visa: 16.5k
Apple Card: 4.25k
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.