cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better to BT at time of applying or wait?

tag
Scott90
Contributor

Better to BT at time of applying or wait?

Hi all,

Basically within a couple of months I will be applying for the chase slate card to BT about 4k. Now is it better to do the transfer at the time of applying or wait till I get the card and a CL first. I have great credit and will be approved no problem but I want to try to get the highest CL I can as once the balance is paid I plan on transferring the CL to my freedom card. I don't want to risk doing the transfer info at time of app and they see I only want to transfer 4k so they give me a limit of only 5k when maybe if I applied without the transfer I would have got 10k. See what I mean? Anyone have experience with this? Thank you.

Sorry for any confusion... iPhone.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Better to BT at time of applying or wait?

I never put in the BT request with the app just because of what you have said here. With Chase I know you can go for a CLI at time of opening if its not enough to satisfy your xfer requirement but the cost would be a 2nd hard.

Message 2 of 7
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

I always wait until approval.

Message 3 of 7
CreditMagic7
Mega Contributor

+1
Message 4 of 7
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Creditaddict wrote:

+1

The BT info that's collected at the time of application is only for your convenience.  That information does not sway your chances for a higher CL.  It's all going to be based on creditworthiness.  If approved, and the CL is high enough, then you can then request your BT.

Message 5 of 7
enharu
Super Contributor

@FinStar wrote:

@Creditaddict wrote:

+1

The BT info that's collected at the time of application is only for your convenience.  That information does not sway your chances for a higher CL.  It's all going to be based on creditworthiness.  If approved, and the CL is high enough, then you can then request your BT.

+2.

Personally, I like to wait till approval as well, if I am ever doing a BT.

I doubt it's going to increase the CL the lender is going to give you, but the paranoid side of me would worry about it adversely affecting the app instead, such as when a large BT amount is mentioned. Then again, most likely it's not going to affect anything.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 6 of 7
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@Scott90 wrote:
I don't want to risk doing the transfer info at time of app and they see I only want to transfer 4k so they give me a limit of only 5k when maybe if I applied without the transfer I would have got 10k. See what I mean? Anyone have experience with this?

I seriously doubt anyone has hard evidence of this.  Your BT amount has nothing to do with the CL you're approved for.  If the BT transfers are more favorable during application then you might want to do so.  I always wait until approved.  Even with an intro offer I don't want to max out a card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.